“Nice room, close to metro but blunt staff and average breakfast lets it down”

The Hotel @ New York City
Ranked #321 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 17, 2013

A nice room with a comfortable bed, nice shower and good views on the 12th view across the city. Close to the metro. We found the staff quite rude and blunt. The breakfast was very average with all the processed food being brought in and served in polystyrene cups and bowls. After a couple of days of this we actually went out for breakfast and avoided it. A nice room but the staff and the breakfast let the hotel down.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank ellie255093
Write a ReviewReviews (1,665)

Reviewed September 15, 2013

The hotel is located on the East side, while most of the nyc attractions are on the West side. The surrounding area is not nice: it looks old and dirty. No descent restaurants in walking distance from the hotel. The room was dark and dirty. The bathroom was filthy, with mold, metal corrosion and loose parts. The sheets and towels were old and shabby. The breakfast used only disposable utensils (made of plastic and foam), which is terrible for the environment. Meanwhile they have signs on the room suggesting we decline to have the sheets and towels changed frenquently in order to "save the environment". It seems just like costs cut for me, not an honest speach. The staff was technically polite, but they made it very clear how much they dislike working in that hotel - no smiles, no helping, no motivation. The wi-fi did not work at all. I did not expect much from a Ramada Inn when I booked, but the defective wi-fi was too much for me.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Guest613
applecorehotelsstaff, Marketing & E-Commerce Associate at The Hotel @ New York City, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Guest613,
Thank you for your review. We’re sorry you were not pleased with your stay. Our hotel is conveniently located on Lexington Avenue in Murray Hill, which many guests find very convenient to attractions, while being a bit quieter than busier areas. The rooms and bathrooms are cleaned thoroughly on a daily basis and old towels and sheets are always replaced with newer ones. Unfortunately, we do not have the space to wash lots of re-usable dishes and utensils.
Our staff is trained to be as friendly and helpful as possible and we will continue to work with them. We will also look into the WIFI issue you had.
Again, we are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, but hope you will give us another chance in the future.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Ramada Eastside has an outstanding location on at 30th and Lex, just a short minute walk from the Empire State Building and other Midtown Manhattan attractions. Two blocks to the 6 Train for connections all over the city. Yet still always reasonably priced. Absolutely the best value in the city.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
2  Thank Michael C
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Very friendly, courteous staff.Excellent housekeeping. Nice clean room, king bed. Very large clean full bath. Good continental breakfast. Great location for downtown(Murray Hill Area) Lots of restaurants nearby. Wifi okay, some minor problems trying online check-in for boarding pass.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room ending in 11. Great view of Lexington Ave. We use the same limo servic...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mlscomm
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I got a great deal on booking.com on a 5 night stay as I was going to be working in the city during the always bustling fashion week. My compact, queen sized bed room was on the 10th floor and had everything I needed. Flat screen tv, desk with multiple power outlets, complimentary high speed wifi, a fridge, microwave, complimentary breakfast, coffee station, a working iron (rarity!!) and a very comfortable bed.

I used the business center once which had two computers and a printer! I peeked in at the fitness center and it was small, but housed all the necessities.

The breakfast was a mix of fruit, cereal, pastries, hard boiled eggs and some waffles in addition to juices, yogurt, coffee and tea. Nothing to write home about but enough variety to get satisfy the need for something indulgent or healthy. I was happy with the complimentary spread.

The hotel is very well kept, the staff is friendly and helpful, rooms are very well cleaned. I would recommend staying here to anyone in need, in the midtown area.

The only 2 strange things I noticed was my room phone didn't seem to work - that or I couldn't figure it out; and my in room coffee was only replenished twice. Not a huge deal, but I had to get coffee from downstairs instead of brewing it in my room.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank JaclynMore
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Good hotel for us to stay at as we spent very little time there. Nice service, good breakfast. Unfortunately, we had to check out the second day before it started. Would have been nice to have something offered or for the front desk to make sure we had a cab as it was dark outside! Wifi was horrible. If you need wifi, don't stay here. Room was a good size with a good washroom. Overall, good place to stay unless u need wifi!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Located in the Murray Hill neighborhood of Manhattan, a safe residential area with proximity to the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, U.N., Grand Central Station, and the NYU Medical Center, the Ramada Inn Eastside provides affordable and spacious accommodations. The rooms are large and basic and equipped with a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and flat screen TV. There is free wifi and a basic continental breakfast. There are many cafes/restaurants within easy walking distance and a restaurant downstairs. My mother an I stayed there for 1 night to be in close proximity to my dad while he was hospitalized overnight and it certainly met our needs in terms of value, proximity, space and basic comfort but it is not a luxurious accommodation. My only complaints were that the bed was a bit too soft and the bathroom did not have towel bars, soap dishes or grab bars and could have been a bit cleaner (mold in tile grout, dust behind door and along floor moldings).

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family