“Price Is Right For Convenient & Comfy Room”

The Hotel @ New York City
Ranked #323 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We decided to do a last minute NYC weekend and this was a great find! The price was very reasonable for 2 queen tempurpedic beds (low $200s with AAA discount) and the location was so convenient to everything. We walked there from Penn Station and we took the subway everywhere -- didn't need to hail a cab at all. The front office staff was especially helpful when I saw that they offered a AAA discount (which I didn't see when I booked the room on their website) and they honored the discount at check in for me. The complimentary breakfast was more than adequate to get us going in the morning (bagels, donuts, waffles, pancakes, cereal, fresh fruit, coffee, milk, tea & juice). Room was fine sized with an in-room safe. We definitely would stay here again on a future NYC trip.

Room Tip: Some rooms are smoking (couldn't believe they had those anymore) so be sure to ask for a non-smo...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Luci_J_M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,674)

Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed here December 7-9 2012. Had a double room. Room was very spacious. Room, lobby and breakfast area all very clean. Breakfast was the standard continental-eggs, waffles, bagels, donuts. Staff was helpful and friendly. Convenient location.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This hotel is in a good location- close to lots of shopping and Macy's! Prices were very reasonable and I never felt unsafe.

The hotel is clean and well maintained. The staff was very helpful and provided anything you asked for/needed quickly. I would definitely stay here again. I stayed in May just before summer and in comparison to other hotel rates we definitely got a good value.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 8, 2012

This hotel is in a good location, easy to drive to from FDR and/or LIE, a short walk to Macy's and the 6 train, in a safe neighborhood for walking at night.

The lobby is well maintained, elevators not too slow, rooms clean with plenty of lighting and electrical outlets. The hallway smelled of cigarette smoke but our room did not. Wifi was dog slow. There is a room safe. The bed was amazingly comfortable, the room a bit warm but that seems to be the case in all NY hotels in the winter. The continental breakfast was weak, best to not rely on it.

The website directs you to park at 475 Park Avenue for a reduced rate, don't bother looking for it on Park, it's actually on 32nd between Park and Lexington.

Compared to other hotels in the area at this price, this is an excellent value. We will stay here again.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2012

The room itself was great, clean and spacious. However, it was supposed to be nonsmoking, but clearly the room had a smell of smoke, especially the bathroom. It was late at night and my granddaughters were asleep, so I did not request a different room. However, when I mentioned it to the clerk in the morning, she did not seem interested in my complaint.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank philanomads
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The Ramada Eastside was a pleasant surprise. We were looking for a reasonably priced hotel for a 5-night stay and had resigned ourselves to a typical chain hotel experience. We couldn't have been more wrong. The building itself is classic, having the appearance of a vintage New York apartment building. The lobby was small but inviting. The staff was reserved but friendly and helpful. Our room was not huge but not claustrophobic and well proportioned for the furnishings - a very comfortable queen bed, 2 nightstands, a dresser with flat screen TV, a desk and chair, and a guest chair. The bathroom was small but not unusually so by New York standards. Shower was hot with good water pressure. We've paid a lot more for less. Free WiFi and cable TV with pay-per-view movies was included. So was a modest but decent breakfast in a bright, clean, if a little plain, room off the lobby, which featured two flat screen TV's tuned to different morning news programs (muted). We managed to have a satisfying meal every morning but don't expect omelets and bacon. It's bagels, toaster oven waffles and pancakes, instant oatmeal, cold cereals, muffins, toast, yogurt, fresh bananas, apples, oranges and drinks - coffee, juices, and milk. There is also a workout room that we never got to. For us the location was nice - the Murray Hill area of New York. Both the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building can be seen from the street in front. We found good restaurants, grocery stores, bars and a frozen yogurt shop within a 2-3 block radius. The subway is also close. And we didn't have any noise issues at night, partly due to our 8th-floor location, but helped by being just far enough away from the busier parts of mid-town. All in all, we enjoyed this pleasant, comfortable hotel and look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
1  Thank DAVID H
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I'm all about saving money for a hotel--especially in New York City. But I hit my bottom limit last night and I won't be going back. First of all, I mistakenly thought smoking rooms were a thing of the past but my room, circa 1972 Montgomery Wards, was only equipped well with one item: ash trays. By the time I got to my room, long after midnight, I was too tired to trudge down to the front desk and ask to be "reseated". I put a clothespin on my nose and tried to go to sleep. But I couldn't get warm! No matter high how I turned up the 747 jet engine heating unit, all I got was cold air. The paper thin sheet and Soviet Army-issue blanket was no better than the sheet along with the crepe and sandpaper bedspread all contributed to a miserable sleeping experience. I am praying that I did not connect with a gaggle of bedbugs but only time will tell. Somehow, I slept but dreamt of Santa at the North Pole all night. At least when I dragged my you-know-what out of bed the next morning I was greeted with cold water in the sink to bring me back to the living. Trouble is, all I got was cold water. . .so, no shower and a quick mop up under the arms. Completely horrible experience that set me back $269. Run, do not walk in the opposite direction.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank GoRoGoFar
applecorehotelsstaff, E-Commerce Associate at The Hotel @ New York City, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear GoRoGoFar,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that your stay was unsatisfactory. We do have smoking and non-smoking rooms available. We apologize for putting you in a smoking room. We do try and accommodate all guest requests subject to availability. Unfortunately, there were no smoking rooms available when you checked in but if any were available at a later point, the front desk would have been more than happy to switch your room. We also apologize for the lack of heat in your room. Again, the front desk would have been more than happy to send someone up to try to fix it or put you in another room. We also provide extra blankets on request.

We can assure you that our hotel is bed bug free. We have employed a company that routinely conducts checks even if there are no signs of problems. In addition, our housekeeping staff is trained to proactively look for signs. If there is any question, the pest control company is called and they come in immediately.

We hope you will give us another chance on your next trip to New York City.

Liz from Apple Core Hotels