“I love the Ramada Eastside”

The Hotel @ New York City
Ranked #316 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 19, 2011

It was the only hotel at a reasonable price left on the Thursday before the historic pride weekend in 2011. When I booked a room for less than $300 I didn’t have high expectations.

I was blown away. The room was lovely and quite large. The staff was amazing and friendly. The breakfast was great and free.

It was an awesome hotel. My only complaint is it was already booked by the next time I went to NYC, and I couldn’t get a room :(

LOVELY HOTEL, you will be pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank JungleKatPC
There are newer reviews for The Hotel @ New York City

Reviewed September 15, 2011

This is a nice, small midtown hotel with good sized rooms for the price. Beds are new, bathroom had nice towels and toiletries. Cleaning staff were thorough and friendly. The breakfast buffet was basic, with convenient hours. Friendly front desk staff. Very short walk to subway or bus lines.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed in this hotel in mid July 2011 for 4 nights. This was during the heatwave so we really tested their airconditioning, which thankfully worked great!

The location of this hotel is very close to the Empire State Building, and short walk (10 minutes?) away from the Broadway and 5th and all that jazz. The value of the hotel considering the location is great. It's not RIGHT in the middle of the action but it's not far away.

There's also "curry hill" on your doorstep for those that like an Indian meal! Although very nice the curry we had didn't quite compare to those I'm used to in the UK. But certainly worth going if you need a curry! There's also a very nice Italian next door to hotel.

The room we had was a good size for Manhattan, and as mentioned about the air con worked very well. The room was also clean and had the usual items in the bathroom; soaps and shower gel and shower caps etc...etc... There was no mini bar / fridge which was a small downside, but nothing major.

The inclusive continental breakfast was very handy, and not common in New York, and was a good start to the day. The selection was good, boiled eggs, cereal, bread/toast, waffles, juice, yogurts, fresh fruit (be quick it goes fast) along with coffee and tea and all the jams and syrups you'd expect etc... no bacon, which would have made it perfect, but for free you can't complain about that.

What I could complain about is the plates, cups and cutlery. The plates and cups were polysterene and the knifes and forks were plastic. While these are not brilliant to eat with the main issue was the amount of waste generated by this method. I am not sure what the reason was to use these items, presumably not having to replace broken items, so they aren't stolen, or not having to employ a dishwasher. Whatever the reason seeing the mound of waste in the bins every day did not sit very well with me. It left an increasingly bad taste in the mouth with each day. This is the major reason the hotel lost a point. Another point to mention about the breakfast is that the room is pretty small with not many tables for the size of the hotel. So at peak times you may have to wait for a table. We were lucky as when it was busy we managed to time it quite well and a table was leaving as we arrived, but I can imagine that you could easily have to wait a few minutes for a table.

Apart from this I can't really think of any other issues. It's not luxury, but then in manhattan for the price, people really shouldn't expect it. I found the staff pleasant and helpful when asked anything, and the hotel looked clean and neat. We happened across a couple of alternative hotels we were considering for this trip and we were more than happy we picked this hotel as the other options looked run down and not in as nice an area as this hotel.

I would defintiely consider staying here again when visiting New York.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marivo
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I have stayed at this particular hotel and have never had any real issues. The rooms have Tempur-Pedic beds, HDTV, coffee maker, that wonderful Sugared Citrus soap and shampoos, and a massaging shower head. Very conveniently located, close to transportation and dining. My only issue was during check in. I booked a King Smoking. When I arrived at my room, it was King, but non-smoking. When I went back to reception to have the room changed, she kept insisting that I had booked a non-smoking room. It wasn't until I showed my confirmation printout that she told me they didn't have any King smoking rooms available. I was given a Queen smoking. Because it was only for one night, it wasn't an issue, but a guest should be contacted if the room they booked is no longer available. Other than this issue, it's a lovely hotel. The breakfast was decent and filling. There seemed to be enough of each item left when I went down, about 9AM. Overall, I liked this property and will most likely stay again.

Room Tip: Call to confirm your reservation the day before arrival to make sure they still have what you reques...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank NYTravelGuru68
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I made a reservation about a week in advance. I knew I'd be working late, so I specified a late check in. I asked for a non smoking room away from the elevator. I received a smoking room directly across from the elevator bank. The guy at the desk apologized and offered $20 off. At 1:30 am I really didn't feel like arguing. The room did not smell from smoke at all and the elevators were fairly quite. The room was clean and typical. It was about 15' x 15' with a small bathroom. Flat screen tv was mounted on the wall above a desk. The shower was like a torrential downpour. I've never seen a shower push out that much water. The final cost was $179 after the $20 off. All in all, it was a decent experience. If I stay here again, I'll check in earlier so I get the room I want.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Amys_husband
Reviewed September 2, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights in Aug 2011 after getting a recommendation from a colleague and reading the reviews here. I must say that I enjoyed my stay very much. The location is excellent - everything I wanted to see was within walking distance or short subway ride (bus/subway very close by). There are a few nice restaurants right nearby, as well as quite a few bakeries/bagel places/coffee shops. The breakfast is typical of US hotels - bread, bagels, donuts, pastries, fresh fruit, waffles, etc., and plenty of good hot coffee.

I checked my bed very carefully - no bed bugs, no signs of bed bugs. Sheets were sparkling white clean, bathroom etc were clean as well.

The A/C is a bit noisy (an older unit), but it didn't bother me.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Shira_K_2011
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I read the mixed reviews on this hotel and was a bit afraid but it's what fell within my budget. I didn't have any issues with the front desk staff, the rooms were clean (no sign of alleged bedbugs or cockroaches), the air conditioning was plenty - thank goodness because I went there on the hottest day of the year! Breakfast was fine - not super deluxed and I can imagine if you go 5 minutes before it's over they might be running low on stuff - but there was enough choice... Not alot of seating for breakfast - so met someone new one of the mornings. My only complaint is that my room faced Lexington and the noise from constant traffic was a bit distracting - bring your ear plugs if you're a light sleeper. The only other suggestion I'd make is that they add a towel rack somewhere in the bathroom...

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo