“Excellent hidden gem”

Ranked #127 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Excellent hidden gem”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I was a bit exceptic about going to this hotel at the beginning due to the rates similar to other well known hotels. But after arriving I just must say It was the perfect decision. We arrived on the weekend before the Memorial Day and the hotel was full so we were upgraded to a junior suite. I just must say the bedroom was perfect, massive bed enough for 4 person, big bathroom with Jacuzzi, lounge with TV. Bedroom and toilets were spotless and perfectly clean every day. Staff very friendly and helpful. And about location just to say that Empire State is literally around the corner. There are plenty of buses and metro station is just 2 streets on the right of the hotel. If you like Korean food you are lucky because is on the area called little Korea were you have plenty of Korean restaurants.
Defenitly is a good option to visit NY.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Fenomenopucela,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. It is appreciated.

I was happy to read that you found our hotel well located in midtown Manhattan, our rooms spacious and clean and our staff friendly and helpful.

I hope when you travel plans call for a return visit to New York City, we will have the privledge of hosting youi once again. Please contact my office directly as I would like to personally oversee your next reservation.

Michael R.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

We spent a night in NYC at the Avalon. It was a reasonable walk from Penn Station. Room was "compact" with only one queen bed but worked well for my son and me. It was not fancy, just comfortably appointed and reasonably priced (for NYC that is). We will stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear ES_screen_name,

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel comfortably appointed and well located.

If your future travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact me directly as I would like to personally oversee your next reservation.

Niagara Falls
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

I'm obviously late in giving a review but The Avalon deserves to be recognized. This hotel is amazing. By far the best hotel I've ever stayed in and I wish it was for longer than one night. The service is fantastic! We were tended to the moment we walked through the doors. Our room was upgraded and we had an early check in! The room was absolutely gorgeous. We didn't have a view but the room certainly made up for it. When returning to New York City, my husband and I will definitely be returning! Thank you for the memorable experience! :)

• Stayed July 2013
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Amanda B.,

I was happy to read that you found our hotel perfect for your needs and enjoyed our oversized room and upgrade. Thank you for commenting on our service. I will certainly pass your kind words on to our staff.

We also hope you will come back to visit for more than one night. Should your future travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact my office directly as I would like to persoanlly oversee your next reservation.

Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed May 27, 2014

There was a vintage feel to the hotel which was really cool. Our room was really great and clean - huge bathroom with shower and tub. We had an electrical issue with an outlet in the bathroom but someone came right up and fixed the problem. No bar on site and no coffee in the rooms, and the continental breakfast was not free (and not worth the $15/person). The elevators were painfully slow. The location was great. Steps away from the Empire State Building and Heartland Brewery - which was a great place to eat and have a few drinks. I would stay here again and just eat breakfast somewhere else in the city.

1 Thank Jen W
Dear Jen W.,

I was happy to read that you found our hotel perfectly located for your needs and enjoyed our spacious rooms and guest bathrooms. Although we do not have coffee makers in the guest rooms, I hope you were able to take advantage of our complimentary lobby beverage service in our library? Thank you for letting me know about our guest elevators, I have brought it to the attention to the attention of our engineers.

Should your future travel plans call for a return visit to New York City, I hope you'll stay with us once again. Please contact me directly as I would like to personally oversee your future reservation.

Milan, Italy
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Just as I wrote here above: it is exactly where you want to be. It is placed close to the Empire State building, in the heart of Manhattan, so it easy to reach all the main "attractions" around.
The hotel itself is very nice, may room was very big and comfortable. Something looked like being "old", but everything was good.
I found also a professional and friendly staff.
I really enjoyed my time here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Gigivi80,

I was happy to read that our hotel's location was perfect for your needs while visiting Manhattan. In particular, I am pleased to learn that our staff was professional and friendly. They certainly are the heart and soul of the Avalon.

Should your future travel plans call for a return visit to New York City, please contact my office as I would like to personally oversee your next reservation.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2014

We decided on Midtown as our central location and base for a quick three day sight-seeing trip to New York. We appreciated that New York hotel rooms are pricey, so were satisfied to find this property at $319 US per night. We chose it primarily for location but it was more than adequate for our purpose. Not super luxury but very comfortable. The room was sizeable, appears to have been recently renovated. The bathroom was large with a separate glassed in shower. The hotel offers a continental breakfast for $14. Full selection of juices, cereals, yogurt, fruits, pastries, toast etc. Strongly recommend this as a convenient and excellent start to the day. 2 blocks to Empire State Building, one block to the 4,5,6 subway line. Doorman went above and beyond to hail a cab for our rush hour departure for JFK.

Dear JS5341,

I was happy to read that you found our location perfect for your needs, our rooms comfortable and sizable, and that you enjoyed our continental buffet breakfast. Thank you for commenting how our doormen went "above and beyond" in hailing you a cab. I will certainly pass your kind comments on to them.

Should you find your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact my office directly as I would like to personally oversee your next reservation.

New York City, New York
Reviewed May 21, 2014

The best hotel in NYC area. Very clean room, Staff are very friendly, courteous and helpful. I highly recommended. It was convenient to travel downtown NYC. The hotel is small, but very glamorous location.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank nycvrk
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear Nycvrk,

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our rooms and location to your liking. Thank you for singling out our friendly, courteous and helpful staff - they certainly are the heart and soul of the Avalon. I will pass your kind comments on to them.

When you make a future reservation to stay with us, please contact me directly as I would like to personally oversee your reservation.