“Great location and helpful friendly staff, safe and clean”
Review of Avalon Hotel

Avalon Hotel
Ranked #130 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Loved this hotel, really friendly staff, always very welcoming and greeting you when you returned, nothing was too much bother. Beautiful lobby, great rooms with fridge, very comfortable and plenty of space and had wi fi throughout the hotel. Tea, coffee, hot chocolate, hot water on offer at any time of day or night. Great breakfast.
Perfect location for uptown, midtown and downtown. Stayed here at the beginning of April 2014 for 7 nights.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear Dohertynuala,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. It is appreciated.

I was happy to read that you loved our hotel and found our many amenities including the complimentary Wi-Fi and lobby beverage service, as well as our spacious rooms, continental buffet breakfast and location perfect for your needs while in New York City. Thank you for mentioning our friendly staff. I will certainly pass your kind comment on to them.

Should your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact me directly as I would like to personally oversee your next reservation.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Have you ever stayed at a hotel where they will actually get the money you dropped down an elevator shaft? My associate did and they gladly got the $45. for her and delivered it in an envelope in the evening! Now that is service! The lobby is lovely, the Jr. Suite, gorgeous with 2 refrigerators, two beds, sofa bed. The only reason I didn't give it my best rating is because the room was 80 degrees. We complained profusely about not having air conditioning and were told "it's not one yet". April may still be winter in NY but a year round climate controlled room is what I am used to. When we returned in the evening, they had opened the windows which seemed to suffice.

Room Tip: get a suite!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Snow401
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Dear Snow401,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. It is most appreciated.

I was happy to read you found the hotel's location, spacious rooms and amenities perfect for your needs. I was most pleased to learn that we were able to retrieve your associate's $45.00 from the elevator shaft. I will certainly pass your kind comments and praise on to our staff. I do regret reading that the temperature in your room was not to your liking. I will certainly address this with the appropriate departments.

Should you find your travel plans bringing you back to Manhattan, please contact me directly as I would like to personally handle your next reservation.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We spent 4 nights in this hôtel and highly recommand it. Our junior suite was perfect (10th floor ) the location on 32th street good ( we even walk from there to the HIGHLINE!) and the staff really very nice and helpfull.
What do you want more?

Room Tip: Choose a room at a high level . 10th was great!
2  Thank Jacqueline G
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear Jacqueline G.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent four night stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I was happy to read that you found our hotel perfect for you needs including our location. I was most pleased to learn that our staff was very nice and helpful. They certainly are the crown jewel at the Avalon.

Should your future travel plans call for a return visit to New York City, please contact me directly as I would like to personally handle your reservation.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

My two sons and I spent seven nights at the hotel the second week of April 2014. I booked the room four months in advance; however when they offered a Spring Promo that included the Breakfast Buffet with a Junior Suite booking, Elena in Reservations was more than happy to modify my reservation to include the promotion! This hotel is in a great location, close to the subway, is clean, well kept, the staff is friendly and the room size is huge by New York standards (I have compared notes with friends). Excellent price for a room of this size and the breakfast buffet. I don’t think I would have paid separately for the buffet, however the food was good and there was a nice assortment. The beds were very comfortable and the linens very nice. We were provided clean fluffy towels every day and I have to commend the housekeeping staff on how clean our room was every day when we returned. I would like to say a special thank you to Andrea, Wilson, and Angel who provided outstanding service. We used the free WiFi every day and never had a problem. We called the front desk every night for a bucket of ice to be delivered so I could ice my bad knee from all the walking; all but one night it was delivered within a matter of minutes. When I was unable to print my boarding passes for our flight due to Adobe not being updated on the computer next to the lobby, the front desk was happy to print them for me. We would definitely stay there again and I did recommend this hotel to a friend who is staying there now with her family and is very happy.

We loved New York City and look forward to visiting again!!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the back of the hotel on the 11th floor overlooking on the water tower. It was very qu...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear Sandy R.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. Your thoughts are welcomed and most appreciated.

I was happy to read that you found our hotel's central location, housekeeping services, amenities - including our complimentary Wi-Fi - and other services perfect for your needs and made your visit to Manhattan enjoyable. Thank you for mentioning that Elena, Andrea, Wilson and Angel provided you with outstanding service while you were with us. I will certainly let them know of your kind comments.

Should you plan a return visit to New York City in the future, please contact me directly as I would like to personally handle your next reservation.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

A pleasant and budget friendly hotel.

However, the room thermostat was useless. It was too hot in our room,but when asked to reduce the temperature, the engineer told us the hotel temperature was fixed. So why individual thermostats.

The Dining room was chaotic, no cutlery,no setting of tables,and the food was only replaced if one came early. Only one man looking after the restaurant, hopeless.

For over $15 (with taxes) it was not worth it, I gave it a miss.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up.

Dear Davidox,

Thank you for staying at the Avalon Hotel New York and sharing your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay with us. I appreciate and value your feedback.

I was pleased to read that you found our hotel pleasant, but regret that you did not enjoy your overall stay with us. I am personally looking into these incidents as they are not the standards we have set and strive to deliver.

If your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan and you decide to stay with us in the future, please contact me directly as I would like to personally handle your next reservation.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

First room was on third floor. It was dark oppressive and extremely noisy. Although at the rear of the hotel there were building works, which were not informed of. The room had a strong smell I discovered this to be the curtains, imagine hadn't been cleaned for years (I do not go around smelling curtains usually). First morning we had the breakfast on floor 2, we arrived at 09.30, breakfast was until 10, all there was left was some fruit and toast and these we're being cleared as we arrived, coffee in paper cups and no cutlery. I didn't actually want to eat much as it happens as the smell of stale urine in the breakfast room was horrible. After "breakfast" we managed to change room to the eighth floor, so much brighter and cleaner. It appears that smoking is permitted in this hotel as, again, the smell lingered in the corridors. Hotel needs a good refurb and cleaning. The doorman was a delight but I would not recommend this hotel due to the smell

Room Tip: If you stay here ask for a high floor and if there are building works ask for a room at the front

Dear Cags1960,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. Your comments are most valuable.

I regret, and was disappointed, to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us and so many things did not live up to your expectations. I am personally looking into these incidents to resolve them as they certainly are not the standards we have set at the Avalon, nor do we strive towards.

I can inform you because of your comments about the cigarette smoke odor, we will be making the Avalon a 100% no-smoking hotel. We have a responsibility, and take very seriously, in making the Avalon a healthier environment for our guests and employees.

Should you decide to stay with us in the future, please contact me directly as I would like to personally oversee your reservation.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I have just stayed here for 5 nights with family and friends. The Avalon is the perfect hotel in New York. It is extremely clean, the staff are extremely friendly and helpful, the breakfasts are delicious and the junior suite that I stayed in was very spacious. It is situated just off 5th avenue and is only steps away from shops, bars and nice restaurants. I am already thinking of visiting again and would definitely stay in this hotel again. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: April 2014
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear Ciaragaile,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent 5-night stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I was pleased to read that you found our hotel's location perfect for your needs while visiting New York City, as well as spacious and clean. I was also happy to know that you enjoyed our continential buffet breakfast. Thank you for your kind comments about our staff. I will certainly pass your praise on to them.

Should your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations.