“No Need to Look at Other Hotels” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Avalon Hotel

Avalon Hotel
Ranked #131 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Dublin, Ireland
“No Need to Look at Other Hotels”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

Never ever leave reviews but just back from a 6 night NYC stay and this hotel was one of the best parts of our holiday. The location is unbelievable, right across the road from the Empire State Building and can walk pretty much anywhere. We had a standard room which was lovely and clean with a very comfortable bed.The service from the staff was something else and felt like we were being treated like VIPs. Staff that stand out were Elena, Jesse, Carlos, Abby and the ladies who were on the front desk (sorry can't remember their names!). Always got great advice about places to visit and eat and how to get around on the subway. Free wifi and tea/coffee were nice perks. Spent huge amount of time researching hotels and it was worth it because this one is a gem. If we ever go back to NYC won't need to do any more research because we will be staying here! Actually can't think of any bad points about this hotel. Its a tough job maintaining that kind of standard and hospitality staff often don't get enough credit but these guys nailed it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Frequentflyer935,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent six night stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. They are most appreciated.

I was pleased to know that you found the Avalon in an ideal location, the rooms comfortable and our amenities including our free WiFi and complimentary tea & coffee perfect for your needs. What made me most happy to read was that the service from the staff and your VIP treatment was the highlight of your stay. I will certainly pass on your kind words to Elena, Jesse, Carlos, Abby and the rest of the front office staff.

When your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations.

Michael R.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Ware, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Wow what a nice hotel. Really big rooms for NYC and a great location right in the middle of town not far from the Empire State Building. Beds are comfortable and reception really helpful for any queries. Wifi was really fast too.

If I have one negative, and it's one the hotel can do nothing about, is the building works that are currently going on. They start at 7:30am and can be a bit loud...but again nothing to do with the hotel itself, just a consideration if planning to stay there.

All in all a great hotel in a great location.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear James H.,

I was happy to read that you found our rooms large, our beds comfortable and our location perfect for your needs. Thank you for your comments regarding the work across the street. We have, and will continue to bring them up to appropriate parties.

When your travel plans call for a return trip to Manhattan, please contact my office directly as I would like to personally handle your reservations.

Sudbury, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

This was our first trip to New York and we were not sure where to stay but chose the Avalon because of where it was situated and from reading reviews, we did not make a mistake. This boutique hotel is within walking distance to just about anywhere in Manhattan you want to go. Our room was wonderful, starting with a huge bathroom with double sinks, separate shower and tub. We had a 2 queen suite, the beds were extremely comfortable and we had a living area that was quite spacious. This room was very large by any standards but by New York standards it was huge. Everything was very clean. The staff are all wonderful they will help you with anything but I have to mention what we thought was the real gem, the doorman named Curtis. From the moment we arrived he was gracious, helpful and took us under his wing.If we needed anything, he got it for us, if we needed directions or restaurant ideas he was there for us.When you stay there tell him girls from northern ontario say hi.I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Northerngirls3,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. They are most appreciated.

I was glad to read that you chose the Avalon as your home-away-from-home for your first trip to Manhattan. I am very pleased to read that you found our hotel perfectly located and that you found our rooms comfortable and well appointed. I was happy to know that our staff, in particular Curtis, was very helpful and made your stay even better. I will pass your kind comments on to him.

When your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, I hope we will have the pleasure of hosting you again. Please contact my office directly as I would like to personally handle your reservations.

Wishing you all the best for a wonderful holiday and a Happy New Year.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

This was our fourth trip to NY and our first stay with the Avalon. We stayed for 5 night and were really pleased with our choice of hotel. The staff were great from the receptionists, the cleaning staff and Abby on the door who was a perfect gentleman! We had an issue with the smoke detector in our room which the maintenance staff resolved within minutes. Everyone was really pleasant and helpful. Our room was spacious, clean and bright. Perhaps the most comfortable bed we have slept in in NY! We will definitely return and would recommend it as the perfect mid town location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear ReviewerC,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response on TripAdvisor about your recent return visit to the Avalon Hotel New York. It is most appreciated.

I was happy to read that you find our hotel perfect for your needs and that you love how comfortable our beds are. I am most thrilled to hear that our staff was pleasant and helpful - especially Abby. I will be sure to share your kind words to him and the rest of our staff.

When you plan to return to Manhattan again, please contact me as I wish to handle your reservation personally.

Essen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

In the heart of Midtown Manhattan, between 5th Avenue and Madison Avenue, is the wonderful Boutique Hotel Avalon located. It's an excellent starting point for exploring New York or to get to the Empire State Building or Madison Square Garden.

If you know some of NY's hotel-rooms, we had a ball-room in the Avalon. Our room was very spacious with two very comfortable beds and even two televisions. But who needs the TVs in New York, the city, that never sleeps? ;-)) The room was very quiet, only the air-condition was noisy, but we stopped it during the night.

BTW: There is only small place for the bath-articles in the bathroom. Would be great, if there were some more space for them.

We had a wonderful stay in this classic boutique Hotel with the very friendly and helpful staff. We could not have a better choice and enjoyed our stay very much and will surely return.

Room Tip: It you turn off the AC for the night the room 1208 is very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Caecilie,

I was very happy to read that you found our hotel spacious, comfortable, quiet and the location to 5th and Madison Avenues, as well as the Empire State Building and Madison Square Garden perfect for your needs.

Should your travels bring you back to Manhattan in the near future please contact me directly as I would like to personally handle your reservations.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Perfect location for a short trip to New York. Right in the centre of town near the Empire State Building, a short walk from Penn Station and close to several metro stations - easy to take public transport from the airport.
Excellent facilities - our room (Junior Suite) was massive by NY standards with two large beds (great linens), large fridge, mini-bar, sofa & free (fast) WIFI. The whole place was spotlessly clean and extremely quiet.
Brekkie was really good, all cold choices but great range of cereals, fresh fruits, pastries, smoothies, eggs, cheese, bagels etc. etc. Sets you up for the day. Lovely little lounge with 24-hour complimentary coffee and not stale old filtered stuff either.
Best thing for us though - we got in a bit of a pickle with our booking but the response from reservations just makes this place stand out from the crowd - highly efficient, friendly but, most of all, I really felt they understood and cared about our booking - thanks so much to all of you for making our stay special - definitely be back.

Room Tip: We asked for a high floor (9) and it was blissfully quiet. The junior suite was excellent and I wou...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank islandgirlcityboy
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Islandgirlcityboy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. It is most appreciated.

From our location to our amenities, breakfast to our free Wi-Fi, I was very happy to read that you found our hotel to be absolutely perfect for all your needs while visiting NYC. However, I was most pleased to learn that our staff was able to handle your issue quickly, friendly and most importantly in a caring manner. They truly are the heart and soul of our hotel. I will certainly pass your kind comments on to everyone at the hotel.

When your travel plans call for a return trip to Manhattan, I hope we will have the pleasure of hosting you again. Please contact me directly so I may personally handle your future reservation.

Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

This was our first time in New York so when we arrived to the Hotel it was comforting to be greeted by a lovely man who welcomed us to the hotel. Our luggage was carried inside where we were greeted by an equally polite lady who checked us in.

Our room was on the top floor (a junior exec Suite) and we were very pleased with the room. It had a lovely seating area, very comfortable bed with extra comfortable pillows. There was a fridge in the room where we could store our water and any food.

The bathroom was spacious and very clean and there was always hot water.

We stayed 4 nights and each day we came back to a freshly made room and our bathroom looking like it was never used before.

There was complimentary WIFI however this was the downfall for me. It never worked. Not to worry though as there were two state of the art computers downstairts beside the complimentary tea, coffee and hot chocolate.

Our flight was at a late time so the hotel stored our luggage for the day free of charge.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

Location cannnot be better.

Room Tip: Junior Suite is the way to go. Great special offers.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Katie M.,

I am honored you chose us to stay with on your first visit to New York City. I was pleased to read that you found our hotel comfortable and perfectly suited to all your needs, however I was very happy to learn that upon your arrival, and throughout your stay, you found our staff pleasant and polite. Please accept my sincere apologies about the issues you experienced with the Wi-Fi. I have already addressed this issue with our engineering department.

When your travel plans call for a return trip to Manhattan, I hope we will have the pleasure of hosting you once again. Please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservation.