“Nicest staff in NYC” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #125 of 477 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Nicest staff in NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

I have stayed at the Avalon Hotel numerous times. It is one of the few hotels that can deftly accommodate families, business travelers and couples. The hotel rooms are spacious, clean and quiet each time I've stayed. But what separates this hotel from the many other options are the staff- from the doormen, to the hotel clerks, to the reservationists and management.

I had requested an early check in and rather than be suitably snubbed, was accommodated by Andrew, who was so helpful on the phone. To my surprise, when I got in the room there was cookies and sparkling water. I'm not a high roller, but I sure felt like one.

I highly recommend this room. My only worry is that with all the great reviews, they will be booked up!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Mark H
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Mark H.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent return visit at the Avalon Hotel New York.

It is always a pleasure having you at the Avalon. I am pleased you find that our hotel is perfect for everyone - families, business travelers and couples, as well as spacious, clean and quiet. I am particularly happy to hear that you find our entire staff incredibly helpful, especially Andrew.

When your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservation.

Michael R.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
istanbul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

The Avalon is where I stay during my visits to NYC. Location is great, rooms are very spacious (I have stayed both Junior Suite and King Suite) Staff is very helpful and friendly. Management is organized and very helpful-never let us down in any service. I highly recommend Avalon and am looking forward to staying here again in my next visit to NYC!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ozgebuminoztaskin
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Ozgebuminoztaskin,

Thank you for taking the time to write on TripAdvisor about your repeat stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. It is always a pleasure to have you with us.

I am pleased that you find our location perfect for your needs and that you enjoyed the spaciousness of our Junior and King Suites. I am particularly happy to hear that our staff was helpful, friendly and attentive to your needs during your many stays. The staff at the Avalon is truly the heart and soul of the hotel and I could not be more of them.

When your travel plans call for you to return to Manhattan, please contact me directly as I would like to personally handle your future reservations.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

The Avalon is definitely a great value hotel in the heart of midtown. Staff here are consistently friendly and helpful. The hotel features a decent sized common area for lounging. Our room was huge for NYC standards, with comfortable beds and good amenities. The decor is a bit underwhelming, especially the faux wood floors which seemed out of sync with what is billed as a luxury hotel. Nonetheless the place was an excellent starting point with easy access to the subway and many other features of New York.

We also had a problem with a warm room with no A/C. Although the windows do open, that was not sufficient to cool the place down enough.

I would not have any problem returning here, though with the selection in NYC it may be worth searching elsewhere too.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Yazzy13,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. Your feedback is most important to us.

I was happy to learn that you found our rooms spacious and enjoyed our bed and room amenities. Please accept my sincere apologies on the opportunity you experienced with the cooling of your room. I have brought the matter to our engineering department. We are constantly working on the hotel so I appreciate your observations on the room decor.

If your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact me directly so I may personally handle your future reservation.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

I highly recommend the Avalon. The rooms are spacious, clean, and comfortable. The staff is amazing. This was my second stay there and wouldn't stay anywhere else. The location makes it easy to move about the city. Worth the price. I love staying at the Avalon!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Dalaine J
Dear Dalaine J,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your second stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. Your feedback about our hotel is most valued.

I was happy to read that you found our rooms spacious and comfortable and the location perfect for your needs. I am particularly pleased to learn that you found our staff "amazing." They certainly are the heart and soul of the Avalon.

When your future plans call for a return trip to Manhattan, please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

The Avalon hotel is the best you will find anywhere in NYC!! We stayed here Nov 9-13 2013 for the second time in a year. The staff is exceptional and you won't find a bigger or cleaner room anywhere in NY. I also was to give a big thanks to Wilson the bellman for being so kind and helpful. Another awesome stay at the Avalo! Can't Wait to come back!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank EBing
Dear EBing,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your return visit to the Avalon Hotel New York. Your feedback is important to us.

I am pleased to read that you find our rooms spacious and immaculate, however I am incredibly happy to know that our staff, and in particular Wilson, were helpful during your second visit.

When your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations.

Verwood, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a week. It is pretty basic but functional. The staff are courteous and efficient and there is a nice atmosphere around the place.

The best bit is that is just a block or two away from the Empire State Building and Penn Station (alongside Madison Square Garden). Around the corner is Little Korea which has a wealth of restaurants and is very busy in a good way

The rooms are fairly small and dont expect a view. However the prices are competitive and the beds comfortable. Breakfast was not supplied but there are good bars in the vicinity

One gripe is that the weather became unseasonably hot while we were there in October and the air conditioning did not work. This caused the rooms to rocket to very high temperature around 85 degrees very uncomfortable

Otherwise a nice stay in a decent hotel

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Alfaman2001
Dear Alfaman2001,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. It is most appreciated.

I am pleased to know that found our location suitable to your needs, but I am happy to read that you found our staff was courteous. They are the heart and soul of the Avalon.

Please accept my sincere apologies with your experience surrounding the temperature of your room. I have addressed this with our engineering department and it has been rectified.

I hope when your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan that you will consider giving us a second chance. If so, please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations.

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

The Avalon unfortunately, is quite forgettable in a sea of wonderful hotel experiences to be had in NYC. The best that can be said for it, is that it's clean and well located. The bed is comfortable. The magnifying mirror didn't work in the bathroom. The furnishings are cheap. The end.

Room Tip: Ask them to not put you in the room right next to the dinging elevator.