“Fabulous Hotel...Great Location.”

Ranked #132 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Wisbech, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Hotel...Great Location.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

From the moment we stepped inside we were treated graciously by all the staff...Our room wasn't ready when we arrived ,but that was no problem...The porter stowed our cases and we went into the lounge area and drank coffee and read books until our room was clear...I cannot call out one employee as we received excellent service from them all,but a special thanks go to the porter who upon seeing I was not feeling too good (due to a chest infection) late one night,kindly said he would go and get some boiling water to make me a coffee...I was overwhelmed by his generosity and he wouldn't take a tip...
We had a 10th floor room overlooking 32nd Street...but there was little or no noise through the night...you would never guess you were just a few steps from 5th Avenue..
Our room was just a normal double room,but more than adequate for our needs and truly a home from home.The bed was more than just comfortable in fact one of the best I have slept in away from home,with fresh linen daily and the towels in the bathroom were gleaming white and fluffy.
Overall I would say this is a first class hotel in a fantastic position.And with a beautiful welcoming lobby of gleaming marble and stunning chandeliers.And all Just steps from The Empire State Building and close to many subway stations...
I would not hesitate to return to this hotel on a future visit to NYC.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the less noise from the street.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear Afa Annie,

Thank you for the glowing review you posted on TripAdvisor! We appreciate the time you took to share comments about your stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your visit with us and also to know we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

When your plans do include a return trip to New York, I hope you will contact me directly so I can personally oversee your reservation.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Bayport, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Arriving at the Avalon was a wonderful experience. After a quick walk from Penn Station, the staff greeted us warmly and graciously checked our bags. When we returned later we had a lovely, spacious room to settle into and the staff delivered the bags with a smile. The continental breakfast was perfect. This is a hotel where customer service is seen as paramount. We will most definitely return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sherryandal
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear sherryandal,

Thank you for the wonderful review you posted on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

Your comments are greatly appreciated and we are delighted you enjoyed your visit. We are also happy to read you will return and I hope you will contact me directly so I can personally oversee your reservation.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Arrived at a different hotel that had been booked by my fiances company which was beyond terrible and literally found Avalon online and booked with 10 mins of arriving in NYC! The room was absolutely beautiful and the staff were so eager to help it was refreshing. The location is perfect - absolutely no complaints.
Will definitely be returning here as it's an affordable hotel which makes you feel like you're staying in a 5* resort.

Room Tip: We chose a Jnr Suite which was very very spacious
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear PipForbes,

Thank you for posting a review on TripaAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. We are delighted you found us and equally so that you had a great visit.

When you are ready to plan your return trip, I hope you will contact me directly so I can personally oversee your accommodations. We look forward to welcoming you back!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights for a classical NYC city trip in a junior suite. Compared to other Manhattan hotels we have been before the room was really spacious. Starting from the checkin until checkout the service of the front desk was outstanding. I would vote for Melody for the employee of the month as she did a fantastic job.
The hotel is close to the empire state building and therefore a great place to start to explore NYC.

Dear Thomas M,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I was delighted to see you singled out Melody for employee of the month and will be sure to pass this along personally. We are all happy you enjoyed your visit and commented on our location and spacious rooms.

When your future plans include a return trip to Manhattan, I hope you will contact me directly so I can oversee your accommodations. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Anguilla
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Can't beat the price. We booked a suite and had plenty of space. Nice sitting area, comfortable beds, large bathroom and free internet. It is almost across the street from the Empire State Building. We walked everywhere.
Would definitely stay at Avalon again.

1 Thank Ingrid W
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Ingrid W,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor about the Avalon Hotel New York. I am glad you found us to be a good value and I appreciate all your thoughtful and positive comments.

Many of our guests echo your sentiments about the location and enjoy being in the center of Manhattan, which makes it easy to walk most places.

It is nice to see you would stay with us again as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back. I hope you will contact me personally so I can personally oversee your reservation.

Salina, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Recently there for three days with family. The location is if you need to be in this part of the city.

The lobby is beautiful and at first glance, so are the rooms. A little closer look reveals that both the dresser and the desk are broken and sagging in the middle. The floor is a rosewood veneer and is buckling in places. There were holes in the wallpaper that had been poorly patched.

We had a malfunction in our thermostat in the room so that the air conditioner was on continuously and the room temperature was 64. Took 5 calls to get someone up. (More than a day).

Probably should look elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dera Brad S,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay at the Avalon Hotel. All feedback is iimportant to us and I appreciate your specific points.

I have tried my best to find the room and track any service requests. It is inexcuseable that it took 5 calls to correct the problem with air conditioning. I have reviewed this with our maintenance department. I am looking into replacing the thermostats that are easier to operate.

The room you were in is currently occupied, but I plan to have a thorough review after they depart. I will change out any pieces of furniture that need to be replaced as you indicated. We are in the midst of upgrading, on a gradual basis, and will be addressing all of your point.

I wish you were happier with the location as it is one of our prime selling points. Guests love being a block away from the Empire State Building and the convenience of 11 subway lines.

Your notes and comments are taken very seriously and I will look into your room personally. If you decide to give us another chance, I hope you will contact me personally so I can look after your accommodations and upgrade you to a Deluxe Suite with two queen beds and a separate sitting room.

Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

What a fantastic hotel! Had a nice corner room that was quiet could not hear anything from other guest rooms or the hallways. Staff was very friendly and helpful! Since we left well after checkout time we were able to store our bags at no cost until we were ready to catch our train home. Our stay included the continental breakfast which was very good, not really knowing where things are in the city it was great to just get up and go down to the breakfast room and have fresh fruit, bagels, toast or pastries, meat and cheese, juice or coffee. My sister-in-law and I have already started planning our trip for next year and this is where we plan to stay. Thanks for the hospitality!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Beth T,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about your stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. I am very happy you and your sister in-law enjoyed your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back next year.

I shared your kind and gracious comments with my associates and everyone appreciated hearing them.

Please contact me directly when you know the dates for your return trip. I would like to personally oversee your reservation and accommodations.