Avalon Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Arlo NoMad(New York City)
The Roger(New York City)
  • Restaurant
Hotel 32 32(New York City)
  • Breakfast included
HGU New York(New York City)
  • Bar/Lounge
Wolcott Hotel(New York City)
  • Breakfast included
Life Hotel(New York City)
  • Room Service
  • Breakfast included
The James New York-NoMad(New York City)
1,707 results
All reviewsjunior suitethe empire state buildingkorea townnew yorkpenn stationsofa bedsitting areaaround the cornerfree coffeebig bathroomcontinental breakfastsmoking roomtimes squaremini barcentral locationspacious roomexcellent location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The Avalon is a very good value for money. Location is great, the Empire State is just around the corner, subway station is 2 blocks away. We could walk to many NY's highlights.
Our rooms was clean and super sized. We booked a Junior Suite, the bed was absolutely confortable. Theyfirst assigned us a room with twin bed but they were able to change us to king size bed.
The staff was really friendly and very helpful. The front desk helped us to book fine restaurants, the french restaurant located in front of the hotel it was fantastic. They assisted us with some tours to discover other areas like Brooklyn and Harlem. Thank you Carolina!!
We hope we will be back soon.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear MPost13,

Thank you for your recent post on TripAdvisor about your stay with us at the Avalon Hotel New York. We appreciate all your many kind and thoughtful comments and especially your making note of Carolina. These words go a long way.

I hope you will contact me personally should your future plans include a return trip to New York. It would give me great pleasure to handle your reservations myself.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

What a wonderful visit! I brought my daughter and a couple of her friends into NYC to celebrte her 16th birthday. The visit included an overnight stay at the Avalon Hotel. The hotel is situtated in a great location close to many of NYC's highlights such as the Empire State Building, Times Square and Rockfeller Center. The staff was very friendly, attentive and helpful. They assisted us with our itinerary and provided detailed directions to help us find our way around. The room was immaculate and very spacious. It was appealing to the eye and at the same time very comfortable. It was a perfect place to stay after a day out. The continental breakfast provided a nice assortment of foods that were very fresh and very enjoyable. The Avalon Hotel gets an A in our book!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Katy S,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York on TripAdvisor. We are honored your selected us for this special occasion and hope it will become an annual tradition! We appreciate all your kind and thoughtful comments about the Hotel and location.

When your future plans include a return trip to New York, I hope you will contact me directly so I can personally oversee your reservations.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I spent 6 days at the Avalon and couldn't recommend it enough. The staff are super helpful and nothing is out of their way, the rooms are of good size (my sister and I had a double twin suite), clean, with spacious bathrooms and the beds were very comfortable as well. It's in a brilliant location, making it within walking distance of a good shopping area and some major sightseeing spots. It's exactly what we wanted from a short city break; comfort, ease, friendliness and value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Emma B,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about your stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. We are very happy to hear you and your sister enjoyed your visit and appreciate your comments.

We hope you will stay with us again and consider us your home in New York City. When your plans include a return trip, please contact me directly as I would enjoy looking after your reservation personally.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My gal pals and I stayed in 2 junior suites for 5-7 nights, so we had a good sampling of services offerred by The Avalon.

Strengths
1) The staff was very friendly and helpful. We're from the midwest, so we're used to friendly and we felt the staff was outstanding. We'd like to give a special shout out to Curtis (a night bellman), the day bellman (who had a taxi waiting before we even asked), and the night desk clerk (Levenia). The day desk staff was also very helpful with directions and answers to questions.
2) I appreciated the two computers in the coffee room that guests could use for free. They were a little old (xp operating system), but they met my needs for checking in to our airline and for getting copies of our boarding passes.
3) The rooms and bath areas were clean and very large, especially by NYC standards. We were very comfortable for a weeklong stay. The rooms also had an extra fridge in addition to the mini-bar.
4) I often judge a hotel by the comfort and quality of the bedding. The mattress was very comfortable, but needed to be flipped because you could tell one side was more broken down more than the other. The full sized bedding consisted of a conforter and 4 quality pillows.
5) We were on the 8th floor and looked out on an empty lot behind the hotel. It was very quiet, which is not always true of big city hotels where there can be lots of street noise.
6) The location was very convenient to the green subway line (1 1/2 blocks to the east) and the yellow/orange lines (2 blocks to the east). It was a pleasant surprise to find an entrance to the yellow/orange line on e 32nd street because the main entrance shown on maps is on e 34th street. We also found it very easy to catch north/south buses on Madison and Park avenue and we observed buses going east/west in front of the hotel.
7) The neighborhood felt very safe and there were many good places to eat very close to the hotel.
8) Because of the length of our stay, we were able to take advantage of the hotel's discounted pricing, which made the rate very reasonable by NYC standards.

Could Use Improvement

1) We found it very odd that our rooms came stocked with only one washcloth. Every day we had ask for a second wash cloth. (There was no shortage of hand and bath towels.) Given that 2 beds were being used, we thought the need should have been obvious.
2) From the list of amenities, I knew that the room was not equipped with a coffee pot. I had been advised that we could get complimentary coffee at the breakfast and coffee and teas were available in the computer room after breakfast. There were no paper cups with lids at the breakfast, so you could not bring coffee to your room. And there were no lids in the computer room for safe transfer of hot beverages. I recommend the hotel add lids to the drink station. Because I want to drink my coffee before getting dressed in the morning, I brought my own coffe and a cup at a time coffee maker. There was a perfect place to set it up on the marble counter above the fridge. I would have preferred to use my luggage space for clothes, but this was a make it work moment. I recommend that hotel have small coffee pots available on request for guests.
3) My room was equipped with one flat screen TV that was mounted on the wall inbetween the sitting area and one of the beds. The TV was not very viewable from the far bed located next to the wall. If the TV had been mounted on a swing arm, we could have angled it out from the wall and it would have been acceptable. Our friends were in a junior suite that had two TV's, which included one between the two beds which was comfortably viewable while lying in either bed.

Grin and Bear It

1) The hotel can only have heat on, air conditioning on or nothing on for the entire building. When we arrived, the air conditioning was on. In our room, we could cool down the room, but we could not heat it up. At some point during our stay, the hotel turned the air conditioning off and we could neither heat nor cool the room. (The fan could be on.) It took us awhile to figure out the air was no longer working. (We had an April stay so outside temps were variable.) I had a couple of uncomfortable nights where I was too hot. When I complained, they said they were turning the air back on. They advised me then that fans or heaters were available for individual rooms. This communication was too late to help me. I wish they would have advised guests that the air was going to be turned off and fans would be available.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the Avalon Hotel and would definitely recommend this to future visitors to NYC. While it wasn't perfect, I considered it very, very good.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank GailofIowa
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear GailofIowa,

Thank you for the thoughtful and thorough review you posted on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. I really appreciate the great detail you provided about your visit and am delighted you gave praise to Curtis and Leanna.

My apologies about the washclothes as that is not our standard. When I learned about this the other day I asked to take new ones out of storage and issue them for guest use. In addition to lids for the take-out cups, we also have the brown cup wrappers, so once again we fell short in not keeping them well-stocked.

Plans are underway to address the issues you listed and I will be sure to announce them as we implement the improvements.

I hope that you will consider us your home in Manhattan, and should your plans include a return trip to New York, please contact me directly so I can personally oversee your reservation.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I have stayed here a couple of times and each time I am left with the feeling the staff truly cares and wants your stay to be as good as it can be. The staff is exceptional and worthy of praise. The General Manager is doing something right at this property. I have stayed at dozens pf places in NYC and the Avalon stands out.
Our room were large in comparison to other boutique hotels, spotlessly clean with comfortable furnishings. The continental breakfast with fresh fruit, ample and varied baked goods, cold meat and cheeses, fresh fruit and vegetable juices for $15 is a steal in NYC. The subway for the East side is 2 blocks away and only 3 or 4 for the West side making this location ideal for people who use the subway and are traveling to different points in the city.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bcane
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear bcane,

Thank you for the very kind and thoughtful review you posted on TripAdvisor! We read it at our morning meeting and it generated lots of smiles around the table.

I hope I can meet you during your next visit and thank you in person. I also want to know your thoughts on how we can improve the sleep quality to make it excellent.

We look forward to your next visit and appreciate your taking the time to share your comments about the Avalon Hotel New York!

Sincerely yours and at your service,

The Avalon