1,898 results
All reviewsjunior suitethe empire state buildingkorea townnew yorkpenn stationsofa bedaround the cornersitting areabig bathroomfree coffeesmoking roomcontinental breakfastmini bartimes squarecentral locationstandard roomexcellent location
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a standard room for 4 nights. Location is wonderful. Staff excellent. Room decor is tired. Furniture and walls bit scuffed, not great pressure in shower, mattress a little soft. Great location for Penn Station, mid town. Lovely restaurants and diners etc in Murray Hill. Would stay again. No bar or proper lobby, no room service menu.

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank Suseandco
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Suseandco,

Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor about your stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. We greatly appreciate all feedback, good and bad, as it only helps us provide better service and accommodations.
When the hotel changed hands last year, the restaurant lease ended and we are actively searching for a new one. We are serving an extensive continental breakfast buffet each day on the second floor for all guests wishing to dine in-house.
I am sorry you didn't find the Library with fireplace or adjoining room with 2 computers to be a proper lobby, but I will look into putting some more seating in there.
I hope you will come back and stay with us, as we are upgrading many furnishings, the shower heads already in process. I would be happy to handle your reservations personally and you can contact my office directly.
Thank you for staying with us and for offering your helpful remarks.

Gernal Manager

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Aaaah. A tranquil Oasis in the heart of the hustle and bustle of New York City. After travelling to New York for pleasure and business for over a decade now, I have never stayed in such a fine gem of a hotel such as the Avalon. Being a travel critic myself, my criteria for a pleasant stay in any hotel can be quite demanding. The Avalon, however met all of my criteria and beyond for what I deem to be the perfect stay in New York. We had a double Queen Suite, which was unusually spacious (450sf) for a New York hotel room. We had a separate “living” area with an additional flat screen TV and a couch which turned into an additional bed. The hard wood floors, marble bathroom (which was also very spacious) and comfortable beds added to the luxury and comfort we felt during our stay. The room was immaculately clean and we even had our own tea and coffee nook complete with kettle and fridge for our use. Our room was also extremely quiet…even though we at times opened the windows to get some fresh air (another lovely trait, being able to open the windows, that other New York hotels rarely offer). Indeed, I have never stayed in such a quiet hotel for New York City. The staff from the Bellman, to the front desk to the Manager of the Avalon were all very professional, calling us by name throughout our stay and taking care of all of our needs. The Wi-Fi worked great in our room, and the Avalon also offered a complementary business room where one could use their computers to go on-line and use their printer, all at no additional charge. Although we were too busy to take advantage of their gourmet continental breakfast, it looked scrumptious. The price was also fantastic, considering an equivalent size suite at somewhere like the Waldorf, the W, or other luxury hotels would have been four times (or more!) as much. The location was also perfect. Conveniently situated in the heart of Manhattan, just steps away from the Empire State Building and a couple of blocks from Macy’s and Penn Station, it was easy to catch a cab to up-town or down-town to visit our favourite restaurants throughout our stay. It is also not far from the Theater district where we saw the Broadway Hit ONCE on this stay. The only downside for pet lovers is that it is not pet friendly. On the flip side, as I do not travel to New York with my dogs, I am making the Avalon from now on my “home away from home”, as that is truly the feeling one gets when staying there.

Room Tip: We were on the 12th floor, so cannot speak for the quietness of the floors below us, however the hotel itself is situated on a quieter block than most for the City, so I would think that the rooms on the floor below us would have been equally quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank FIDO_MOM

Dear Fido_Mom,

Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor about the Avalon Hotel New York
On behalf of my colleagues, I send a collective "grazie mille" for the extensive and laudatory review. You hit all the highlights and we appreciate your pointing out so many nearby attractions.
We all enjoyed having you with us and am very happy it went so well. I will look forward to hearing from you when you are planning your return trip to New York, as we are glad you are making the Avalon your "home away from home".

Warm regards,

Reviewed February 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Avalon a few years ago. We travelled from Ireland to spend 10 nights in New York. We booked a junior suite and found it very comfortable and spacious for a city location.
We did not realise our stay did not include breakfast. The first morning we went for breakfast we just happened to say we were staying 10 nights and we were promptly handed 10 breakfast vouchers from a member of staff.We were so impressed with this gesture and the breakfast was superb every morning.
The hotel is so central the staff very efficient and friendly and the room very well maintained during our stay. A real little gem.
We would definetly stay here again and delighted to see its being refurbished.
Did not find any fault with the Avalon and delighted we stayed here

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Helen J,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. We were very fortunate to have you as our guest here at the Avalon Hotel New York.
I am glad you enjoyed so many things while you were here and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back..
Should your future plans include a return trip to New York, please feel free to contact me directly so I can make sure we provide the same accommodations!

Best regards,

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Hotel was in the best location! Round the block from the empire state building, 5-10 min walk to Macys and Times Square... stayed there for New years eve.. hotel was cleaned every day – no bed bugs at all... staff were friendly and helpful.. our heating stopped working, so they came and gave us an electric one to keep in our room for the rest of the duration of our stay. Cant complain on anything. Was a very pleasant stay and nice and clean!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear jigz_t,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about the Avalon Hotel New York. We are glad you stayed with us to ring in the New Year, and appreciate your comments about the hotel, especially about our location.

My apologies to you regarding the inconvenience you endured over the heating. This shouldnt happen and you were very understanding regarding the situation.

Should your future plans include a return trip to New York, we hope you will consider staying with us again.. Please feel free to contact me directly as it would be a pleasure to personally oversee your accomodations.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed at the Avalon Hotel January 29th-February 3rd. My boyfriend and I stayed in the Junior 2 queen suite and we were pleasantly surprised by the size of it. We necessarily didn't need the second bed but we used it anyway. The location was perfect and check in took less than 3 minutes. The only gripes I have about the hotel was the shower head and the floor we stayed on. On one travel website they listed this hotel as a non smoking hotel but the floor we stayed on was a smoking floor. I have bad allergies and asthma but it didn't really bother me much until the end of our trip and that awful shower head felt like the water was piercing my skin so I used the tub for the rest of my vacation. Overall, (if the price is right) we will stay here again. I enjoyed my time in New York and at the Avalon Hotel.

Room Tip: If you have allergies or asthma like I do, make sure you ask for a non smoking room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lateefah D
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear Lateefah D,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about your stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I am really happy you enjoyed the spacious junior suite but regret we did not get you into a non-smoking room. Of our 100 rooms and 90 are non-smoking. We have a number of guests who request smoking rooms and they are all on one floor. Again, my apology for this oversight on our part.

The hotel changed hands last year and we are in the midst of upgrading furnishings and fixtures. The showerheads are one of them. We are expecting delivery of our new, Speakman Anystream adjustable shower heads very soon.

We appreciate your comments and hope you will consider staying with us again should your plans include a return trip to New York. It would be my pleasure to personally oversee your reservation and I hope you wont hesitate to contact me directly.