“Spacious, clean rooms.”
Review of Avalon Hotel

Avalon Hotel
Ranked #135 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed here for five nights end of Jan/beginning Feb with my mother-in-law in a junior suite with two double beds on the fifth floor. This was my fourth time in New York and her first and I found the room to be excellent for our needs with plenty of space. There was even a seating area with a sofa bed and a second television. There was a good sized bathroom and plenty of storage space for us both. The beds were very comfortable and the room heating worked with no problems. The lack of in-room tea/coffee facilities has already been mentioned so I won't go on about that, but the fridge for guests use is a nice touch. The two windows in the room both opened and there was very little street noise compared to my previous experiences - you don't really need a view from your hotel room in NYC! There were minor scratches and marks on the walls/floors but nothing too obvious or that you can't live with - I have stayed in much worse for not a lot less.

I dealt directly with a lady in reservations at the hotel and we were given an excellent deal which included breakfast - two choices of cereal, juices, tea/coffee, yoghurt, hard boiled eggs,deliciously fresh fruit, pastries/cakes, bagels and toast. At the weekend there was also cheese and salami. If you were to pay separately I am not sure it was value for money at $14.95 as we couldn't compare it to anything but as it was included it was more than adequate for us and very convenient - we could use the free wifi to plan our day over a leisurely breakfast.

This is possibly the most expensive room I have stayed in on all my trips to NY as I usually tend to travel with my husband on a budget - but is was worth the little extra I paid for the extra room, cleanliness and comfort. The location is also excellent, easy to get around from. My brief dealings with the staff were fine. They were very helpful, polite and friendly without being in-your-face.

Overall, after a lot of research and reading the reviews, I am so pleased I picked this Hotel for my mother-in-law's first taste of New York. I have always said that my next trip to NY with my husband would be cheap and cheerful, but as the Avalon exceeded my expectations, I will definitely consider it again when I return in November, especially if they are still running their special offers.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ETWalker11
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear ETWalker11,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdviser about your stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. We know you have many choices and are glad you selected the Avalon. I enjoyed reading your review and am very happy the went well for your mother-in-laws' first trip to New York.

While November is peak season for Manhattan, we will still have special offers and packages available. It would also give me great pleasure to personally see to your accommodations and I hope you will contact me directly.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed at the Avalon hotel first week in February. The rooms were comfortable but tired looking. They were extremely clean and the beds were very comfortable. The vinyl (timber looking) floors were cold and noisy. The toilet blocked twice so we were upgraded to a suite which was the same as the last room but bigger. The staff are all excellent. Very helpful. The continental breakfast is adequate but water not hot enough to make tea. Coffee was undrinkable. Probably would not stay there again because we have since heard of better for the same price. A bit of a fee lift would make the world of difference as would a microwave and tea and coffee making facilities in each room. Wi fi worked well. Bath robes would have been a nice touch as well.

Room Tip: Our room was 804 which is a suite.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brubec18
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear Brubec18,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about your stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

We greatly appreciate all your comments as they assist us in improving our services and accommodations. The hotel was purchased last year and we have begun a program of upgrades in our amenities and furnishings. I will add a kettle at the buffet station to insure you get the correct hot water to make a proper cup of tea.

Should you future plans include a return trip to New York, I hope you will consider contacting me directly so i can personally oversee your accommodations.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We were staying in NY for five nights, so I researched a number of hotels before opting for the Avalon because of its location, the relatively reasonable price (we booked the Winter Package), free Wi-fi and the room size, which was large by NY standards. The room was indeed spacious, but the furnishings were rather worn (hole in the curtain, marks on the sofa, broken tap fitting), and it was very chilly when we arrived (but there was a big freeze on). On the other hand, it was clean and well serviced daily, the bed was very comfortable with nice linen and pillows, and the bathroom had a good tub and shower and was supplied with Aveda toileteries.

The area is well furnished with coffee shops, but we would have appreciated tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Apparently coffee was available in the lobby, but I didn't see it, and there didn't seem to be any seating area for guests apart from the business centre. Breakfast was included in our package, and was excellent - lots of fresh fruit beautifully presented and excellent pastries - but the breakfast room itself was a little dreary with rather battered tables. If the hotel were refurbished, with a more welcoming lobby, it would be ideal.

2  Thank Swanaround
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Swanaround,

Thank you for taking the time post a review of the Avalon Hotel New York on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate all your comments as they assist us in our constant efforts to provide superior service and accommodations.
The hotel changed hands last year and we have begun the process of upgrading beginning with faster high speed internet access, all cotton sheets, more luxurious amenities, and a host of repairs, replacements, refinishing and painting. I have kept our prices lower than our neighbors in order to provide a good value. There is no excuse for a broken tap and I will track it down to make sure it is fixed.
The Library does have limited seating around the fireplace and I will look into adding more chairs. We will also be addressing the lobby area for increased seating.
We are delighted you stayed with us and hope you will consider doing do again. Should you decide to reserve at the Avalon, please feel free to contact my office directly so I can personally handle your reservation.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed one night here night. Our stay was great and we would come back here. The room was very spacious as was the bathroom. The room had hardwood floors which was nice and the bed/sheets were very comfortable. The wifi was free and worked. It's a short walk to the subway and there are a few garages within a short distance of the hotel. If you like Asian restaurants, there a lot on the nearby blocks.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear T P,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Avalon Hotel New York on TripAdvisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and would return.

We greatly appreciate your comments about our location and the spacious accommodations.
Being on the same street as Koreatown is plus for many.

I hope you will contact my office directly when your future plans include a return trip to New York. We would be delighted to welcome you back as our guests.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

The only reason I didn't give 5 stars was because we only stayed one night and didn't check out all the facilities (like the gym access), the housekeeping service, or the breakfast. The room was very clean and spacious, and I especially liked that the room had a real floor (no carpet!! a huge plus for people sensitive to dust or allergies) and the windows could actually open. The staff at the front desk were helpful, maybe a little slow, but I think the guy was new... They also took care of our car - $25 for 24 hours - which is obviously more expensive than parking on the street, but a lot less than other hotels charge for the same service.

Dear tatty_gee,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Avalon on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all you comments and hope you will be back to try out the rest of our services and amenities.

We are glad you appreciated the valet parking service as it is uncommon in New York. Your comments about the desk were accurate but progress is being made each day.

Should your future plans include a return trip to New York, I hope you will contact my office directly so I can personally oversee your accommodations. We would be delighted to welcome you back.

Best wish for a happy new year on behalf of the entire team at the Avalon.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in December . While the location was great and the room was also quite good , the service lets this place down.
Housekeeping was tardy and sloppy, not once did the staff ask if we needed any assistance and we were pretty much ignored the entire time. We ended up checking out a day early despite having pre paid.
One thing I will commend is the doorman. He was lovely :-)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Jb72Singapore,

Thank you for taking the time to write a post on TripAdvisor about your stay at the Avalon Hotel. It is critical for me to hear when we don't live up to our service standards and I regret we let you down. We take your comments to heart and will use them as motivation and reminders that we can not afford to let down our guard.

You were kind to commend the doorman and I will pass this along to him.

Should your future plans include a return trip to New York, and you would consider giving us a second chance, I hope you will contact me directly. I would like to handle your reservations personally and also see what I can do to make your visit more enjoyable.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My family of four stayed at the Avalon on new years eve, great choice. Room and bathroom are very spacious and clean, staff is always wiling to help. Hotel is very close to the 5th avenue and the Empire State, walking distance to Times Square. Hotel decor is classic and elegant. It's a sure beat, you won't regret it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Jose S,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor about the Avalon Hotel New York. We are glad you and your family stayed with us and enjoyed the accommodations. I am delitghted with all your comments about the location and staff and especially appreciate your endorsement.

Should you future plans include a repeat trip to New York, we hope you will contact my office directly so I can personally oversee your reservation.

Best wishes in the new year from the staff of the Avalon Hotel.