“Central Hotel”

Ranked #128 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne
“Central Hotel”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Recently stayed here for the Xmas period. The Hotel was fine for us as a couple. We were a stones throw from the Empire State Building. A block from Macy's. A bock either side for the underground. The hotel is of a classic period and not all rooms will face the street as ours did not. It is not cheap however in comparison to other hotels it is on par. We have no negative comments to make. Our room was neat and clean. Beds comfortable. We stayed 5 nights and spent full days everyday away from the Hotel and again the central location for us was perfect.

Room Tip: A street view room may make a difference rather than a room that looks into an alley.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear rrstaffie,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about your stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. We appreciate your comments, especially your notes about our central location.

Should your future plans include a return trip to Manhattan, I hope you will consider the Avalon. If you contact my office directly, we will be sure to get you one of the large Executive Suites on the front of the hotel.

On behalf of my associates, I send warm wishes for a happy and healthy new year!

Michael Rawson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed here with 2 kids for 5 days this Christmas. Overall a very positive experience. We stayed in the deluxe suite which has 2 queen beds + a separate area (open to the room) with an additionnal pull-out couch (great if you're more than 4 or like more room) and a 2nd flat screen tv. The suite had a mini-bar and a second mini-fridge (ask for it in advance) to keep additionnal beverages or food which is especially handy for kids. This hotel is ideally situated in midtown, about 10 minutes walk to Times Squares, 5 minutes walk to Macys and a 10 min cab ride to Central Park or to the other end of the island (Wall Street, Chinatown, Battery Park ect...)an. The bathroom was large and clean with a separate tub and shower and with marble all over. Breakfast is available but it's a continental breakfast so do not expect bacon and eggs ! There are a few delis, a nice sushi restaurant, lots of korean restaurants and a nice kid-friendly tavern nearby for lunch and dinner. Wi-fi was included and efficient during the entire length of our stay. The hotel is located between 5th and Madison Avenue and the street is relatively quiet and safe. Tip: if you have kids and a mini-bar, you should have it locked because they charge as soon as something is moved. Also, if you're looking for additionnal amenities such as a restaurant or a gym, this is not the place for you. No coffee maker in the room but a Starbucks is 1 block away. ! Overall a positive experience.

2 Thank CanadaLiz
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear CanadaLiz,

Thank you for posting a review about the Avalon Hotel New York on TripAdvisor. We were happy to have you with us and value your feedback.

I am glad you enjoyed the location and appreciate the many comments and suggestions you listed.

Should your future plans include a return trip to New York City, I hope you won't hesitate to contact me directly so I can oversee your accommodations.

On behalf of my associates at the Avalon, I wish you and your family a healthy, happy new year.

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My husband and I and our 3 kids stayed at this lovely gem Dec. 19-23 , 2012. Everything about the hotel was perfect from the moment we arrived.
The staff is unbelieveably friendly and helpful, and made the stay something we will remember for a long time. Winston greeted us at the door and took care of our luggage as we arrived early in the day and our room was not ready. Caroline at the front desk checked us in, got us set with a perfect upgrade for my huband and my room, gave us toruist assistance and sent us on our way to explore.
The rooms are so spacious and so comfortable! The bed is fabulous! The bathroom is room and had a soaker tub and separate shower , and his and her sinks . It was bigger than our en suite at home!! :) two flat screen tv's, and a mini fridge to keep snacks. It is a perfect hotels to stay in as a family.
The hotel is small but quaint. Clean and perfectly situated in mid town Manhattan near the Empire State building. The decor is cozy and classy . It is super quiet in the rooms, no view , but who cares.....at the end of a long day exploring the city, who's looking out the window? Just give me comfort !! And that is exactly what this hotel provides.

One of my daughter's was not feeling well,and the front desk staff were so helpful and caring . I can not say enough about each and every one of them. I wish I could remember everyone's names to single each one out !
Our Christmas in NYC was perfect , and this was largely due to this little gem of a hotel hidden away in K -Town!
We will be back for sure!

Room Tip: we stayed in 607 and 610....both rooms were quiet and comfortable
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear JoanneVDB,

Thank you for writing about the Avalon Hotel on TripAdvisor. Your glowing review is greatly appreciated by the entire team. I will be sure to let Carolina and Wilson know you commended them on their service.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay, the upgrade and our location. And, to be part of making your Christmas in New York extra special is a great gift for us.

It sounds like you will be back to New York, and I hope you won't hestitate to contact me directly to oversee your accommodations.

Wishing you all the best for a happy and healthy New Year.

Switzerland
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Two weeks ago we did some x-mas shopping in nyc. we booked a package with ebookers. the hotel avalon was just amazing. we had a junior suite with two bed and you won't believe it with two huge flatscreens opposite each bed. the bathroom was huge and really clean. anyway the whole room was cleaned everyday and there was even a fridge in the room for your own food and drinks. just amazing. the location is awesome as well, just 5-10 minutes walking and you are at macy's. just the perfect place to stay while your in nyc. really to recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Nicoleri,

Thank you for taking the time to write about the Avalon Hotel New York on TripAdvisor. I am delighted you found the accommodations and location to your liking and would recommend us to others. On behalf of the team here at the Avalon, we appreciate your review.

Should your future plans include a return trip to New York, I hope you will contact me so I can personally oversee your reservation.

Warmest regards and best wishes for the New Year,

Ireland
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We found this hotel online, prices were very good for 4 day stay. It's right beside the Empire State building, short walk from Times Square... great location for tourists.
The room was huge, very comfortable, sofa one end, huge comfy bed at the other end, marble bathroom spotless, not much noise in the corridor at all.
Would definitely recommend and will def try to book again when I go to NY again in 2013.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KMasty
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Dear KMasty,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about your stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. We are delighted you enjoyed the hotel and its location, and look forward to welcoming you back in 2013.
Please feel free to contact me directly as I would like to personally oversee your accommodations.

Warmest wishes for the holidays and a very Happy New Year.

Nebraska
Reviewed December 23, 2012

This is my 4th trip to NYC and I have stayed at very nice places. I have never been disappointed. However rooms in NYC are very small. Who needs a big room if its just two of you. This time however, it was the whole family. The Avalon seemed to be the only place with two queens. The room is great...HUGE... By NYC standards, with 2 queens and a pull out sofa. 2 flat screens and a big bathroom. Mom and the kids will love it. Close to Korea town, so lots of Asian food. Less than 2 blocks from the subway. If you want amenities this isn't it. No concierge, no restaurant. There is breakfast. We didn't try it, but great security, great housekeeping. Overall a great hotel especially if you're traveling with a family. 4 stars only because of the lack of amenities.

Room Tip: We stayed in the family room.
Dear Target_011,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Avalon Hotel New York on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments and value your feedback.

My apologies if Concierge services weren't provided. All of our Front Office Agents are trained to help and assist with reservations, suggestions, or any special request. I will share your words with my associates and use it as a reminder.

I am glad you liked our location and the spacious rooms. They are very popular with families or friends traveling together for all the reasons you listed.

Should your future plans include a return trip to New York, I hope you will consider the Avalon. It would be my pleasure to personally assist your with your accomodations.

Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 22, 2012

My daughter and I met my mom in Manhattan for a girls' trip and while checking to see if I could find better accommodations than we had booked I stumbled across the Avalon. We ended up with two spacious junior suites for less than the price of one cramped room in Times Square and loved both the location and the rooms. Most of the front desk staff was quite helpful, and I'd like to mention Carolina by name as she was very friendly. Also one night when my nephew decided to stay with us we asked for sheets for the sofa bed and in no time they were brought up by a very nice guy whose name I wish I had asked. I expected to be handed the sheets but he came in and started moving furniture and putting the sofa bed together for us. My sister in law tried to tip him and he would not take the money. Location is great, quick walk to Empire State Building, Herald Square/Macy's, etc. and easy to get anywhere else in Manhattan via subway. We would definitely stay here again in the future.

1 Thank MickeyMaad
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear MickeyMaad,

Thank you for staying at the Avalon Hotel New York and for posting a review on TripAdvisor. We are really happy you enjoyed your visit and I will be sure Carolina knows you singled her out for special attention. I learned it was our evening houseman, Keita, who made up the sofabed an will let him know about your posting.
We are glad you would stay with us again and I hope you will contact me directly so I can oversee your reservation. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back.

With warmest wishes for the holiday and a Happy New Year,