“good location”

Ranked #125 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Brussels, Belgium
“good location”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is well located near the Empire State Building. That's about it ! The personnel is not very friendly, nor helpfull. We were there during the super storm Sandy and we have not been helped at all. The room has not been cleaned for 2 days. No one came to our room to give us advice or just water. For one advice about a musical, i was simply asked to give the phone call myself. We had a problem with the toilet the last day, bot no one ever showed up. I will not recommend the hotel

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Sophie D,
Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us. The Hurricane created enormous challenges for the city and it certainly affected our service and operations. We were one of very few hotels that had power, light, heat, and running water in Downtown Manhattan and for that we considered ourselves extremely fortunate. I personally posted letters in our passenger elevators providing status updates. I offer my sincerest apology to you as we apparently let you down in many ways. This was a storm without equal and caused problems that were beyond our control. I assure you the hotel strives at all times to deliver personalized service and quality accommodations.
We wish you and your family Happy Holidays, and thank you again for your posting.
Very truly yours,
Michael Rawson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Austin
Reviewed November 3, 2012

NYC is tough to find a nice hotel for a good price. The Avalon was perfect. It wasn't my usual mid-town location however it was so close to two subway stations that it made getting around really easy. The staff and management was excellent. They gave us the best possible rate and even upgraded our room to a king suite - a rare find in NYC. It was so comfy and the bed was nice (although the mattress needed to be turned, it was definitely a little worn in). The bathroom was huge and there was a seperate refrig and dressing area. The only thing it needed was a couple of extra trash cans! Great price and great hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DSAustin
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear DSAustin,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel. We appreciate your feedback and assure you it is taken very seriously. The Avalon changed hands this year and the new ownership is making improvements, one of them being the addition of several trash receptacles per room. Given the rooms are so large, many of them suites, it is convenient and thoughtful to have more available. They are currently on order and I regret they were not here for your visit. Should your future plans include a trip to New York, I hope you will contact me directly to personally oversee your accommodations. If you book through my office I will get you the best price and perhaps an upgrade. The reservation must be made directly with the hotel and not with any of the internet sites.
Warm wishes for happy holidays, and with best regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The website is much better than in person.
The rooms do not have carpet and that giives the impression of being cold. There is an odor in the hallways that remind me of my grandmothers apartment, musty. My first night the TV did not work, my co-workers room was smelly from too much air freshener. They did not have the size rooms I booked so 2 out of 3 of us were put in smaller rooms.
All in all, the rooms were clean, they had Aveda soap and shampoo ( which I think is a plus).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Barbara K,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. I appreciate your comments and will share them with my associates. I regret you found the floors cold as many guests have commented on how clean they are as compared to carpet. I will be sure to have slippers available for you.
Should your plans include a return trip to New York, I hope you will contact my office directly so I can personally oversee your accommodations. Additionally, I would like to offer you a preferred rate or upgrade.
Again, thank you for letting us know about your stay we send warm wishes for the rest of Fall and for the Holidays.

Syracuse, New York, United States
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed here once before with a friend and my new wife and I are going to be spending our anniversary this weekend in NYC, our favorite city in the world. This hotel was very nice and the staff was very helpful. It was clean and Beautiful. I am looking very much to this weekend where my wife and I can spend some alone time. I have stayed on the Upper West Side the last 2 times I was in town (I was a guest on Good Morning America, and Anderson Cooper) and look forward to a more central location, We only got a Queen room but I know it will be beautiful!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jay W
Dear Jay W,
Thank you for staying with us and for your posting on TripAdvisor. We were very excited to have you and your wife back as our guests. We hope you enjoyed your stay and send warm wishes for Happy Holidays.
London
Reviewed October 22, 2012

A lovely central location in the middle of Downtown Manhattan. 1 block from the Empire State Building, this hotel was just lovely. We had a junior suite, and when our children turned up by surprise they were able to stay in the living area, with no fuss or bother from the hotel staff, who set everything up. They serve a continental breakfast if you wish, which we did have one day, but it was so easy to come and go without missing too much time on the town. the room was huge and great jacuzzi bath and walk in shower. it is a great choice for a fab trip.

3 Thank skingsnorth
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Skingsnorth,

We thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us. As you pointed out, we are in the center of Manhattan, which is one of the reasons guests return,,close proximity or access to all forms of major transportation.

Should your plans include a return trip to New York, I hope you will contact my office directly so I can personally oversee your accommodations. Additionally, I can offer you a preferred rate or upgrade.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed at the Avalon for the first time Oct 13-17 2012 and had a great experience!!! There was a slight mix up with our room the first night,but made up for it the next 3 nights by upgrading us to a huge suite. This hotel has the best staff I have ever met!! The desk staff,bellmen and all the housekeeping were totally awesome! David, Caroline, and Andrea were especially great! (I hope I got their names correct)I have been to New York City many times and I have never had such great service as I did at the Avalon. I can't wait to come back!!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank EBing
Dear EBing,

After reading your review, I couldnt wait to share your comments with our associates, especially, David, Carolina, and Andrea. You had their names absolutely perfect.

Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed October 11, 2012

It was difficult to pick a hotel for our first visit to NYC, BUT Avalon Hotel was the best choice for 4 days. It's location is central with subway nearby as well as within walking distance to many popular attractions. I booked a Junior Suite and was pleasantly upgraded to the King Executive. Talk about room size - it was excellent! Staff was very welcoming and helpful. I missed not having coffee available in the room or lobby, even though coffee was offered between the unusual hours of 11am and 4pm. Having it available early in the morning would have made this hotel almost Perfect! Only noticeable downfall was some mold on the tile of the shower. But the rest of the room was immaculate. Well Done!

Room Tip: Having a king size bed was great for my husband and myself. My 24 year old was very comfortable on t...