1,898 results
All reviewsjunior suitethe empire state buildingkorea townnew yorkpenn stationsofa bedaround the cornersitting areabig bathroomfree coffeesmoking roomcontinental breakfastmini bartimes squarecentral locationstandard roomexcellent location
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed here once before with a friend and my new wife and I are going to be spending our anniversary this weekend in NYC, our favorite city in the world. This hotel was very nice and the staff was very helpful. It was clean and Beautiful. I am looking very much to this weekend where my wife and I can spend some alone time. I have stayed on the Upper West Side the last 2 times I was in town (I was a guest on Good Morning America, and Anderson Cooper) and look forward to a more central location, We only got a Queen room but I know it will be beautiful!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jay W
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear Jay W,
Thank you for staying with us and for your posting on TripAdvisor. We were very excited to have you and your wife back as our guests. We hope you enjoyed your stay and send warm wishes for Happy Holidays.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

A lovely central location in the middle of Downtown Manhattan. 1 block from the Empire State Building, this hotel was just lovely. We had a junior suite, and when our children turned up by surprise they were able to stay in the living area, with no fuss or bother from the hotel staff, who set everything up. They serve a continental breakfast if you wish, which we did have one day, but it was so easy to come and go without missing too much time on the town. the room was huge and great jacuzzi bath and walk in shower. it is a great choice for a fab trip.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank skingsnorth
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Skingsnorth,

We thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us. As you pointed out, we are in the center of Manhattan, which is one of the reasons guests return,,close proximity or access to all forms of major transportation.

Should your plans include a return trip to New York, I hope you will contact my office directly so I can personally oversee your accommodations. Additionally, I can offer you a preferred rate or upgrade.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed at the Avalon for the first time Oct 13-17 2012 and had a great experience!!! There was a slight mix up with our room the first night,but made up for it the next 3 nights by upgrading us to a huge suite. This hotel has the best staff I have ever met!! The desk staff,bellmen and all the housekeeping were totally awesome! David, Caroline, and Andrea were especially great! (I hope I got their names correct)I have been to New York City many times and I have never had such great service as I did at the Avalon. I can't wait to come back!!

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank EBing

Dear EBing,

After reading your review, I couldnt wait to share your comments with our associates, especially, David, Carolina, and Andrea. You had their names absolutely perfect.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

It was difficult to pick a hotel for our first visit to NYC, BUT Avalon Hotel was the best choice for 4 days. It's location is central with subway nearby as well as within walking distance to many popular attractions. I booked a Junior Suite and was pleasantly upgraded to the King Executive. Talk about room size - it was excellent! Staff was very welcoming and helpful. I missed not having coffee available in the room or lobby, even though coffee was offered between the unusual hours of 11am and 4pm. Having it available early in the morning would have made this hotel almost Perfect! Only noticeable downfall was some mold on the tile of the shower. But the rest of the room was immaculate. Well Done!

Room Tip: Having a king size bed was great for my husband and myself. My 24 year old was very comfortable on the sofa bed, which is an unusual accomplishment for her to say.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank WeLuv2Trvl511
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear WeLuv2Trv;511,
Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay at the Avalon. 80% of our rooms are over 400 sq ft, which is a rarity in New York. Somehow we missed explaining that coffee and breakfast are served from 7am on the 2nd floor. I have shared your comments with the Executive Housekeeper as they are critically important.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed at the Avalon for 10nights from Sept to Oct for our honeymoon and were very happy with the hotel. We had a executive suite which was great. As soon as we arrived the staff were friendly and helpful, the porter immediately helping us with our luggage and the reception staff checking us in very quickly. The reception area and other communal areas were very nicely decorated and exceptionally clean. Our room was located on the 6th floor, it was spacious and overlooked the street but as this was expected. There was generous storage space for clothes and other items including a fridge for personal items and 2 wardrobes. The other amenities in the room were more than good enough. The bathroom was again spacious and included a separate Jacuzzi bath, shower and 2 sinks. The towels and toiletries provided were of a high standard. The room itself was great, the only faults were not enough lights in the bedroom part of the suite and some of the lights and plugs were not secure or had been repaired in a way which made them slightly awkward to operate. The housekeeping staff were very good and happy to help if required. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Avalon ensuring we had a fantastic honeymoon, it is in a good location with good transport links and the hotel and staff are both very good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jont89

Dear jont89,
Congratulations again on your recent marriage. We were honored to have you stay with us and appreciate your sharing about your visit. I am addressing these matters personally as there is no excuse for these conditions.