“Great value & location”

Ranked #131 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Sweden
“Great value & location”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The main reason for us to chose this hotel was the wooden floors, that gives a fresh feeling. The room was very big and clean, but had some small problems, for example a cabinet door hanging askew.
Our room had a view of a backyard, but some city views as well. No noise from the street, but the AC that was needed was a bit to noisy for us who arn't used to it.

The staff in the reception and the door was very helpful and helped us, for example, to get last minute tickets to the Stanley Cup Playoff.

Great location near subway and lots of sights. Also many good restaurants close to the hotel (not only Korean/Asian).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Malin_84
Dear Malin_84,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about your stay at the Avalon.
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your room and are so glad that you were able to see all of the sights of New York, including the Stanley Cup Playoffs. We’d very much like to have you again, so please contact my office directly if you decide to return to New York so that I can provide you with a complimentary upgrade to make your next stay even better.

Michael Rawson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel has been revampt with bigger rooms!!! The 3 of us had a large room with 2 queen beds and 2 tv's. Even had a small refridgerater to keep items cool. The bathroom was large and had nice towels. Few drawbacks, my other half got stuck in the elevator one morning when he was out for coffee! Unfortunately the complimentary coffee isnt available until 11am! I was ready for lunch by then! But overall it was a nice 3 night stay, and the staff was friendly as well. We would return because we also loved the midtown location!

Room Tip: Bring a coffee pot!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear nuttyreba,

Thank you very much for telling us about your experience at the Avalon, and helping us to improve our service. We are truly sorry for the issues you experienced with the elevator during your stay, and apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused. However, thank you very much for bringing this to our attention; we have let our service providers, who provide regularly scheduled maintenance of the elevators, know about your experience and have requested a complete and thorough analysis of what caused this incident. We are sorry that you did not have a typical stay at the Avalon, and hope that we can make it up to you upon your next visit to New York. Please contact my office directly if you plan to return, as I would like to provide you with a complimentary upgrade and handle your arrangements personally.

Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We arrived in NYC in the am, and went to the hotel. We were able to check our bags and were told to check back at two and see if our room was ready. We explored the city and got back to the hotel around 4pm. We were told that our room had not been checked out to verify it was clean enough, so we had to wait until that happened even though check in is at 3pm and we were an hour later than that. We went to the room and while it may have been nice at one time it was in poor repair. There was a big scrape on one wall, all of the baseboards and trim were covered with black scuffmarks and I found a bobby pin and an adhesive size strip left by the previous occupants. I went to the front desk and asked for a manager. I was told there was no manager there on that Saturday, as they called out sick. They offered to upgrade my room, but I needed two beds and the upgraded room only had one. I decided I would just speak to the manager the next day. As I was getting ready to go out for the evening, I noticed mid shower that the light above the shower was not only covered in corroded metal, but the ceiling around it was moldy. It was too late to find other arrangements, so I just figured Management would deal with it tomorrow. The next day, as I was checking out, I spoke with a manager. He was very aloof and quite rude to me. I told him about everything that happened and he did not seem to think it was enough of a problem to offer me any sort of discount/refund. I showed him the state of the room and while his voice said he cared, his actions said he did not. I left there very upset that I had paid full price for a room with so many issues in a hotel that is, quite frankly, not in the best neighborhood. I have stayed at nicer hotels, in better areas than this one in NYC recently, and am extremely sorry I tried this one.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank gabing
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear gabing,

Thank you for the lengthy review you posted to TripAdvisor about your stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. I regret I did not meet you as your comments and pictures led to a number of changes.

The Avalon Hotel changed ownership early last year and I joined the team in April. We have made a few personnel changes, mostly additions, in order to address shortcomings. We are also upgrading and replacing furnishings and amenities, in order to deliver was is expected of a boutique hotel. One guest who was here a year ago came into the hotel and immediately noticed that we had polished the marble floors. All cotton sheets and towels are now in place as well as Aveda bath products.

Should your plans include a return trip to Manhattan, I hope you will consider contacting me as I would like to personally oversee your accommodations.

Newtownabbey, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stayed in Avalon due to reviews it received here. Brilliant location and extremely quiet. Would definitely recommend staying here, there were 4 of us (2 adults 2 children 9 & 12) and our room was big considering it was NY. The only negative I have to say would be the rooms need a little t.l.c!! Furniture old fashioned, nice if that is your taste but not ours. Staff really helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear MaxMum21,

We really appreciate that you chose the Avalon for your visit, and are very happy that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you very much for sharing with us how much you enjoyed your room and your experience with the staff. We are delighted that you enjoyed our location, and hope that it allowed you to explore New York! Please contact my office directly if you decide to return to New York, so that I can provide you with a complimentary upgrade to make your next stay even better.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We picked this hotel for its location and on recommendation. It didn't disappoint but as it was only for one night I cannot say that much about it. It was a large room for 3 of us, very clean, nice bits in the bathroom. The staff were helpful and friendly. This is an excellent choice if you want to be near the Empire State which was why we chose it for our last night in the city having stayed at friends in New Jersey. To be honest, almost anywhere is going to be good in New York from a location point of view, as if you are happy to walk about you will be near some attraction or other.

Room Tip: Wouldn't expect good views from this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear rockjules,

We are thrilled that you had a chance to see the Empire State Building and hope that we’ll be able to welcome you again soon! If you plan to return to New York, please contact my office directly as I would like to extend a complimentary upgrade to provide you with another wonderful stay.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Stayed here while on business, and it was a great hotel and location. Rooms are relatively large for NYC. Didn't hear any outside noise with AC on. The bellmen were very nice and helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Dolfan55,

We enjoyed hearing about your stay at the Avalon, and are so glad that it was a good one. Thank
you very much for sharing with us how much you enjoyed your room and your experience with the staff. We’d very much like to have you again, so please contact my office directly if you decide to return to New York so that I can provide you with a complimentary upgrade to make your next stay even better.

Southampton
Reviewed July 4, 2012

The hotel was in a very good location. The room with big with two large beds and two flat screen tvs on the walls. The furniture in the hotel was a bit tatty round the edges,view was a brick wall, bu what can you expect in the centre of New York. Overall the room was nice for what we paid for it. We had only paid for room only, but they provided complimentary breakfast. This included bagels and pastries and juices. All in all was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Nuttycoco89,

enjoyed your stay. Thank you for letting us know about your experience—we are glad that you
liked your room and breakfast. Please contact my office directly if you plan to return to New York, as I would like to provide you with a complimentary upgrade to make your next stay even better.