3,769 results
All reviews guest lounge floor lounge new york tenth floor the empire state building roof terrace madison square park boutique hotel free coffee rooms are small bigger room street noise continental breakfast an upgrade corner room higher floor big apple
Reviewed March 11, 2011

I can deal with the small rooms but my room was so hot when I checked in that I put the AC on high in hopes that I after I returned from dinner it would cool off. No such luck. Keep in mind it was 45 degrees outside and the room was still hot upon my return. The room was located on the 2nd floor over the street and the noise was unbearable! Didn't sleep the entire night. The staff was very friendly upon check in and offered an invitation to the cocktail lounge saying that it opened at 8PM which I find a little a little late. When my colleague and I attempted to enter at 9PM for an after dinner drink, we were told it was closed for a private party.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank 60898Lmk
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2011

Dear 60898Lmk,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor! Please accept my sincere apology for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us. I am glad to hear that the staff was friendly upon your check in. Polar Lounge occasionally does close for private parties and we are very sorry that you were not able to enjoy your complimentary cocktails.

In regards to the heating issues, thank you for informing us. We are in process of rectifying this situation so our guests are more comfortable in their rooms. I am so sorry to hear that you were unable to sleep, I welcome your call or email to nsullivan@amsterdamhospitality.com to discuss further.

Thank you again for posting a review and I hope to hear from you!

Reviewed March 7, 2011

Our first stay at the Marcel. The staff was friendly and responsive. The room was bright and clean with a view. The bathroom and shower were more than just adequate. The location was perfect with fine dining, inexpensive dining and shopping nearby and the subway a short walk. It exceeded our expectations and we will return often as it is near our son and his family. Staying on the East Side is a bonus for cab rides to and from the airports. The lounge on the 10th floor had an excellent western view, workable computers and free coffee and tea at all hours.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kaneedl
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2011

Dear kaneedl,

Thank you for taking the time out to post a review on our hotel. Your kind words are much appreciated and we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations and we look forward to you staying with us again in the near future.

Thank you once again!

Reviewed February 28, 2011

We just got back from 19 nights in NYC at the Marcel and had a wonderful time. The rooms, while not huge certainly function well. It is NYC after all, and anyone who has stayed at a hotel in Paris for example will be more than satisfied. The service at the Marcel was outstanding, and we can't say enough good things about the staff. The location is convienent to both Midtown and lower Manhattan if you're a walker (we are.) Plus nearby (3 blocks) access to the subway makes everywhere else easy. Great food is available just a short stroll away, and for cheaper eats a D' Augustino's supermarket is a couple blocks away. Water pressure is great, and the beds are clean and comfortable. What else do you really need in a hotel? One negative I could forsee is that people have talked about it being hot in the summer. Our room was too warm for my wife even in Feb with the heat turned off, but we easily resolved that by opening the window. When we come back to NYC there is no question that we will again stay at the Marcel if possible. Oh, we did also have a few celebrity sightings at the Marcel including the SI swimsuit covergirl so word of its hip vibe must be getting around.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2011

Dear rbirr,

I am so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your extended stay with us. We are so proud of our staff and I am delighted that you enjoyed their hospitality!

You have written a wonderful review about the hotel and the neighborhood. I am sure tripadvisor users would be most appreciative as well!

In regards to the temperature in the room, we are in the process of updating our heating and air conditioning units so that guests have better control of the temperature of their rooms. We are aware that this can be an issue on warmer days and we are glad that you were able to open the windows and able to be comfortable.

Thank you once again for the positive review and we hope that you are able to visit us again soon!

Reviewed February 26, 2011

Sel57 didn't stay at the same Marcel that we did! What a wonderful, beautifully designed and recently renovated, upscale boutique hotel! Our experience started upon entering the very cozy, Euro-modern lobby and greeting by Juan at the front desk, who was unable to find our reservation we'd booked through an online third party. Not only did he immediately set up another reservation for us, he honored the special online price - our reason for booking. Although we had to later cancel, he set up dinner reservations at Enoteca right then and there.

Even though it was noon, the room was ready and we were able to go right up and leave our luggage. As others noted, the rooms are small, but boutique hotels tend to be that way, and allow a level of luxury and comfort without being pricey. (FYI - about five years ago we stayed at Amsterdam Court (on 50th, bet. Broadway and 8th) and loved it for the same reasons as the Marcel. Come to find out - they're sister hotels.) It can be noisy on the street side, but since I always travel with ear plugs it wasn't an issue.

Even though this hotel is less than a $10 cab ride to the Theatre District, it IS walkable. We did just that after a show, stopping at a Japanese restaurant for a light meal on the way back. We felt safe all along the way, with lots of others out late enjoying the brisk evening. Parking is across the street and reasonable (for NYC) at $27 for 24 hours. There are a lot of eateries and restaurants on 3rd - "Enoteca" for Italian is next door, and we loved the Red Sox loving, Irish tavern, "The Hairy Monk", for a quick pub grub lunch.

We travel to NYC for theatre several times a year from the Finger Lakes area and always try a different accommodation - from the older, spacious locations to the newer. I would highly recommend the Marcel, as well as its sister properties. It's two for two with us!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business

Dear mlboyer1,

Thank you for your detailed review! We are so pleased to learn about your experience at The Marcel at Gramercy. I am so glad to hear that Juan was able to assist you upon your arrival.

Our central location is very convenient and I am happy that you were able to take advantage of our promotional rates as well as able to attend the theatre!

We appreciate the mention of our sister hotel as well! Each hotel in the Amsterdam Hospitality collection offer a unique and memorable experience and I am glad you have been able to encounter The Amsterdam Court!

I hope that you will be able to experience The Empire, The Ameritania as well as The Bentley in the future as well!

Thank you once again for taking the time to post a review, it is most appreciated!

Reviewed February 9, 2011

I saw some complaints on here about the size of the rooms so I was expecting something tiny and cramped. But honestly, the size of the room was perfectly fine and everything was really clean and in good shape. I loved being there. You can walk downtown to Union Square, or up to midtown in a reasonable period of time. Staff was so nice. And the Italian restaurant downstairs had a great menu and very pleasant service. I will definitely stay there again and feel lucky to have found the place.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2011

Dear Localscribbler,

Thank you for your kind words!! I am so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant Inoteca. The food is quite amazing and a neighborhood favorite!

Our convenient and central location is a definate added bonus when staying with us, I am glad that you were able to enjoy it!

We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Sincerely