3,806 results
All reviews guest lounge floor lounge new york tenth floor the empire state building roof terrace madison square park boutique hotel free coffee rooms are small bigger room street noise continental breakfast an upgrade corner room higher floor big apple
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I always stay at the Marcel because my son lives on the same block. Such a great location for me! Lots of restaurants nearby that are really nice, but not so posh as to be unwelcoming.
This time I happened to get a much smaller room than previous stays at the Marcel. The rooms are not standardized in size or shape. Wish I'd been assertive about asking for a different room, for a 3-night stay.

Room Tip: Avoid room 309 (and presumably the -09 room on other floors too). Hotel Marcel's own website says that a "standard" room is best only for a 1-night stay. How true!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Sally C
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Thank you so much for posting your experience on TripAdvisor!

I am disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your stay due to the size of the room. We do offer many different room sizes for every budget and recommend reserving a room one category up for future stays.

Thank you for staying with us once again and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Hi all

I found a great rate on ratestogo.com and booked this hotel for our trip. We arrived around 9pm, and checked in within a few minutes. The clerk was lovely and very helpful, we were hungry and the recommended a great selection of takeaways that would deliver or we could walk to.

Our room was on the 3rd floor, no view but it was very clean and modern. The bathroom had a bathe with shower over, lovely toiletries and was very clean.

The bed was a little smaller than what im used to but was still fine and very comfortable.

Rooms were cleaned every morning. The lobby and front of the hotel are very welcoming and I can't fault the staff nor the rooms, it was a lovely hotel.

The location is good too, a 5-8 minute walk from the subway and plenty of shops restaurants and bars around.

You can get a great breakfast at the Lyric Diner, a 5 minute walk away.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.

Rosie

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rosie J
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review!

We appreciate you taking the time to post your experience on TripAdvisor!

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Another great trip to the city. The front desk staff, Lindsay & Brittany and Danny are so great, and helpful. I look forward to returning every year. This is definetly my hotel of choice. I love the location and walking is easy to wherever I want to go.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor!

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the great service from our team. Thank you for mentioning our teammembers, we will be sure they are aware of your wonderful comments.

We appreciate you taking the time to share you experience and we hope to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

The room is small, good location, the reception was nice, overall not bad, maybe overrated...
The place is clean, good amenities in the bathroom, although there is no window.
The place is a bit formal, very dark. The stay would have been good if the room had not been soooo small, no place to hang clothes and i could not move without hitting the edge of the bed

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank isablubelle
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your stay on TripAdvisor!

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay but disappointed that you found our rooms to be too small. We do offer a variety of room size choices for every budget. It is important to us that our guests' are comfortable so always inform us of any challenges while staying with us and we will do our very best to accommodate!

Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I feel like I'm becoming a bit of an ad man for the Marcel. We've stayed here for the same couple of weeks on a number of occasions now, I think that says it all.

We arrived on August 25th after flying in from Chicago. After landing at La Guardia, I was immediately in a foul mood as my luggage was still in Chicago. I was so annoyed on the taxi on the way in that I didn't take anything in, how immature. We pull up to the Marcel and head for reception.

Immediately Lynsey from the hotel changes my mood. We had been given a complimentary upgrade and she promised to do whatever she could in terms of my missing luggage. Customer service that is way above and beyond and is the main reason we come back here every year.

From the doormen to the front of house staff, to the janitors to the maids, no one has anything but a smile on your face and are always asking after you. Not to put any visitors off but that doesn't always happen in Scotland.

The room was great, as always. The bed is comfortable, the shower and bath is more than adequate and nothing is too much trouble for the staff should you need anything.

There is an HSBC across the road, a Duane Reade around the corner and there are a couple of lovely little delis nearby. For great food, drinks and service, check out Banc, six blocks up on 30th and 3rd. Have the jalapeño margarita and tell them that Sam sent you.

It was with a heavy heart we left but we'll return next year, that's for sure.

Just last month for the first time, someone that I recommended the hotel to, booked it. My Dad and his wife stayed there and were equally blown away by the customer service and all round experience that they had. It was their first time in New York and so I thought I'd call the hotel and pay for a bottle of wine to be delivered to the room, I wanted them to know that we were thinking of them. I called, explaining that I'd just returned home from the hotel recently and what it was that I wanted to do.

I was told the hotel were taking no money from me and that wine would be in their room that evening for their return. How box office is that?

Kindness and gestures like that blow me away and you'll forgive me if the next review of mine you see after a New York stay is that of The Marcel at Gramercy.

Book it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor not facing Third. You'll still be able to see the Empire State from the roof deck anyway.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SamMAberdeen
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Thank you so much for your loyalty to us and for always sharing your experience on TripAdvisor!

I am very pleased to hear that your stays keep getting better and we are very proud of the consistent personalized service our team offers our guests.

I am also glad to hear that your parents enjoyed their stay as well, thank you for recommending us!

We hope we are able to welcome you back once again very soon!