“Bring ear plugs!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #196 of 478 Hotels in New York City
Stockholm, Sweden
“Bring ear plugs!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The hotel room was nice and clean. The bed could have been bigger, but it was still comfortable. Make sure your room is at least on the 5th floor as the street outside is very busy and loud. The rather old a/c was also making a lot of noise, without our ear plugs we would not have been able to sleep.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
AMahonAHG, Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Aennikae,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review! We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and agree that NYC traffic is definitely something that one has to get used to! We are working on improving the noise level in our guest rooms. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I've just come back from spending a week at this hotel and I have to say te overall experience was not great.

I ended up staying in two rooms while I was there and have stayed in many other hotels in the area to benchmark against.

My first struggle was trying to get on the WiFi which I had paid extra for. This was seemingly impossible from my room so I had to go up to the lounge to access it. During my whole week stay I didn't once gain access to the WiFi from either room I was in although I was faithfully assured it was working over and over again.

The rooms were functional but tiny. No full length mirrors which is always a bug bare. Bathrooms were badly designed with toilets behind the door, making everything awkward. One of my bathrooms had a cracked sink. However the main problem with these rooms was the level of noise. I have stayed in New York many times before and never needed to complain about the noise as I am a relatively heavy sleeper. However the first room I was in was right by what seemed to be a large extractor fan on the outside of the building which was incredibly noisy even with the window shut and kept whirring all night, that coupled with the noisiest air conditioning unit I've experienced in a room meant I had very little sleep the first few nights. I eventually went and asked to be moved, which they did without any complaints, however the room I was moved to had exactly the same problems...I ended up sleeping with ear plugs and no air conditioning on - it was boiling!

Breakfast is a complete waste of $12 so I definitely wouldn't recommend that.

The staff were helpful but the whole atmosphere of the hotel was odd. Shiny PVC looking furniture in reception and dancy pop music playing, coupled with some slightly creepy lift music. Receptionists were not wearing uniform (which I don't have a problem with) but with the look the hotel was going for (smartly dressed doormen etc.) it felt like maybe they should.

I had a cab booked by the receptionist back to the airport on my final day and this was another terrible experience. The cab driver and the doorman proceeded to have an argument about how much the cab should be whilst I was sat in the back waiting to leave. They agreed on $72 and I had been assured before I left that I could pay by card. However once we left he said I couldn't as he would have to pay a lot in rates so I had to get the cash out. He then told me the cab would be $85!? I tried to argue but his English was only a few words so I left it. I'm sure this was the cab companies fault rather than the hotel but it reflected badly on them for using them. I would have been better off flagging one down on the street.

One good thing I should say about the hotel is that it was very clean. It was just a shame the decor and slightly worn furniture made it seem less so. I was given an extra hour free of charge before I needed to check out on my final day which was lovely and really appreciated. Oh and the roof terrace is great, definitely my favourite part!

Overall I would not stay here again but I would say that if you need a couple of nights to rest your head then it's clean and the beds are comfortable just don't expect anything that refined!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear fkhterry,

I'm very sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience during your trip! We appreciate your feedback and will absolutely be using some of your suggestions as we continue to improve. We have already rewired the access points for the wifi to improve the speed and are working on different ways to keep the outside noise level down. Hopefully you will chose to give us a second chance so that you can see all of our improvements and we can change your opinion! Safe travels!
Miami, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This hotel was much better than anticipated. First time user of Expedia in finding an affordable NYC hotel, I expected small but "good enough". They surprised me with much better than average attention to service and fabulous beds.
The rooms are small, but really well appointed; lovely attention to details such as excellent pillows, excellent supplies in the bathrooms and excellent towels. The guest lounge is an explosion of light on the 10th floor, with a huge terrace attached. Breakfast is very simple, but always good fresh fruit. I just wish there was better bread available in a place where fantastic bakeries abound.
I love the afternoon complimentary wine gatherings they offer to their guests. Such a nice way to mingle.
When I had a repeated problem with WIFI reception in my room, they offered to relocate me to another room with better reception, which I accepted. (Higher floor) No questions asked.
As the other reviews state, access to public transportation is easy; three blocks away from Madison Square park.
Things I did not like: the lighting, or the lack thereof. The first rooms did not have good lighting, especially in the bathroom. I also did not like the dim bedside lights.
The second room, although a more beautiful room, had no bedside lamp, and only one ceiling lamp that gave off so little light that sorting through clothes was difficult.
Will I come back? Absolutely! I'll just make sure to bring a Coleman lantern....

Room Tip: If you want a brighter room, ask for one overlooking the streets, even though they are a little nois...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Gabriele F,

Thank you for taking the time to review! We are so happy to hear that you found us on Expedia and hope you will book directly with us in the future (we will match any legitimate rate found online)! We have just rewired the entire hotel to improve our wifi service and have switched to new light bulbs to improve the brightness in our rooms. We hope you will be back again soon to see the improvements!
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

As a first timer in New York I wasn't quite prepared for how busy this amazing city was going to be. Needless to say, I loved the atmosphere of Times Square, but was extremely grateful to have this boutique hotel to come back to in an evening. Its location was perfect for us, fairly quiet (well as quiet as an area in Manhattan can be I suppose), a short walk to the subway and surrounded by lots of cool bars and restaurants.

Whilst the hotel room was small, it was clean and comfortable and ideal for us to lay our heads in an evening before taking on another day of exploring. Check-in was smooth, we actually arrived early and they had our room ready for us to dump our stuff before heading out.

My only negative observation would be the lack of wifi in the rooms, but I hear this is a common trait among hotels in New York.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a good restaurant close to the hotel, City Crab is amazing! Also the New Y...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rebecca B,

Thank you for taking the time to post on our property and for all of your kind words! We are so happy we got to be a part of your first visit to NYC and are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience! We have complimentary wifi in the lobby and our second floor lounge and just rewired the whole hotel to improve the wifi in the guest rooms (that is a nominal fee). Hopefully you will get to experience these improvements when you come see us again!
California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

In four days, never had to wait an instant
on the telephone or at the front desk to get
questions answered. No fitness center, but
the hotel arrangement at the huge New York City Club
around the corner is better anyway. Room
service surprisingly reasonable, with neither surcharges
nor expectant waiters. Huge imposing windows,
The hotel has many room configurations: mine,
one of the smaller, was still wonderful due to the
dramatic corner views. Enjoy the relaxing outdoor
10th-floor seating during wine hours. Should be
more highly rated!

Room Tip: Often fully booked, but staff does its best.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Biernacki,

What a fun profile picture! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at the Marcel with others and are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope we will see you again soon!
newmarket,Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

we stayed at the marcel for few days in july, the location is great,in a safe area,walking distance from the subway line, the hotel was clean but very small,that's what to expect from new york, its centrally located in upper part of downtown close to financial district,and attractions downtown, as well as times square and shopping with central park and broadway.The staff was friendly and courteous.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear allouzee,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon!
Park7860
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I took my family to Marcel at Gramercy for a little weekend getaway to NYC and we could not have asked for a better hotel, location and the price. We were blown away by the size of the room. We were expecting a tiny box like most NYC hotels, but it had high ceilings, big bathroom and spacious closet. The only down side is their TVs. It was a flat screen, but no HDTV. Either way, great hotel for the price you pay. If you are looking to experience NYC like a local, this is the hotel for you. Check out Bluebell Cafe for early brunch and take a stroll to Madison Square Park. Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: 10th floor is their roof top lounge. 5p-7pm they offer wine.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Park7860
Dear Park7680,

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay (and we think Bluebell is delicious too!)! Thank you for taking the time to post your review! We are delighted to hear that your family enjoyed their stay (and we are working with TWC to fix our TVs) and hope we get to see you all again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near New York City
Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge
Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge
#301 of 478 in New York City
4.0 of 5 stars 487 reviews

Been to The Marcel at Gramercy? Share your experiences!