“Great Boutique Hotel for a great price in NYC”

The Marcel at Gramercy
Ranked #149 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Boutique Hotel for a great price in NYC”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I thought this was a great place! I had a one evening stay and it was terrific. The entire hotel seemed to be recently remodeled--or at least it was well maintained. The rooms had a hip, modern design and were of a good size for New York hotel rooms. Extremely clean and comfortable. I have certainly stayed in smaller, more poorly maintained hotels for a higher price in New York. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. There was a lovely rooftop deck and you could see the Empire State building very clearly. I usually stay in midtown but I had an event in the Gramercy/Flat Iron neighborhood and I was so glad I stayed here. It was walking distance to Gramercy Park and Madison Square Park (ate at the Shake Shack for lunch) and the Flat Iron Building. (had dinner at Eataly.) I booked the room on Hotels.com for a really good rate. If you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel with clean, comfortable and nicely designed amenities in a cool neighborhood of NYC then I highly recommend the Marcel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
JP D, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, February 3, 2017
Hello,

Thank you for your review. We are looking forward to seeing you again! Do not hesitate to reach out to us so we may ensure a great experience on your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Marlton, New Jersey
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I really liked this hotel. I booked it using my points from united and I could not have been happier with my choice. I read alot of the reviews and my experience was excellent. I was upgraded to a king size bed without asking and the room was clean and modern just like in the pictures. The shower was lovely and there was plenty of room to move around and open a suitcase. It was great! I loved the location as well. I wasn't there for the view so don't expect one but there is a nice view on the 10th floor where they give you a simple continental breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank teacher9991
Hello,

Boston, MA
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at The Marcel multiple times, but it had been a while since we were there until this June. The hotel has been updated and redecorated since we were last there and it continues to be a clean, affordable hotel in the city. The front desk were friendly and we received a room upgrade without asking. We will continue to stay here when we are in NY.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Just arrived to a wonderfully warm welcome at the marcel.

Got a great itinerary planned thanks to the very helpful Doris up in the lounge.

A font local knowledge ! This place is handy to lots of great sites and restaurants.

Nigel

• Stayed July 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Looking for a one-night stay last Saturday, I discovered this hotel through Hotel Tonight. I've never heard of the Marcel before and was excited to take a chance. The photos looked amazing and did not disappoint. The staff was very welcoming and the front desk person gave me a complimentary upgrade to a king bed. My second-floor room was nicely furnished with modern touches and the bed was very comfortable. My view wasn't that great (facing an air shaft with little sunlight), which was OK since my room was a bargain and I was going to be out and about anyway. I got my fix on the hotel's rooftop on the 10th floor which had a picture-perfect view of the Empire State Building and cute green lounge chairs. There is also a nice guest lounge with coffee and water and a big screen TV.

TIP: Looking for a great place for brunch? Check out the popular Bluebell Cafe a couple blocks down the street. The food is excellent!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
London
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I have been staying at the Marcel for a few years now and I keep going back because of primarily the excellent customer service I receive but also because it is a great hotel in a good spot with beautifully decorated, clean rooms. I hear some comments about "small rooms" but it's NEW YORK ... if you want a big room them you pay for it ... The excellent pricing at the Marcel is because it's a small boutique hotel.. and anyway ... Why are you hanging out in your room when you are in New York???

• Stayed July 2013