“generally good, but a bit dissapointed”

The Marcel at Gramercy
Ranked #160 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
“generally good, but a bit dissapointed”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We booked the Marcel for a week to celebrate our weddig anniverary. I had contacted the staff in advance and to be fair they did try and give us a good room, but we had to pay for an upgrade to get a reasonable size room.The hotel had a nice feel and is agreeably decorated and it is well placed for a week exploring New York.
Unfortunately the room was on the 10th floor, which initially appeared to be a good thing as this is where the roof terrace and lounge was situated, but at night there was often a lot of noise. The noise was mainly due to people coming to use the free WiFi in the lounge and then when the lounge was closed sitting by the lifts chatting and laughing into the early hours.
I am happy to accept a reasonable amount of noise at night, especially if one chooses to go to New York for a holiday, but what compounded with the above was the extremely noisy and asthmatic air conditioning unit, which made sleep difficult. Even with it turned off we were very aware of the units grumbling along in nearby rooms!
In summary a nice hotel, but not perfect..but where is? BTW Thank you we did enjoy our stay..

Room Tip: pay for the largest room you can afford, ask about the noisy A/C
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The hotel is in a predominantly residential location and was a short walk to the station. It was close to lots of restaurants, a supermarket and laundries. We stayed for 2 weeks and those were important to us. The rooms were tiny and we had to upgrade to a larger room which was also tiny but have been told this is standard for New York unless you want to spend a lot of money. They have a great room on the 10th floor where you can go and use Wi-Fi and have complimentary tea and coffee. Special thanks to Doris and Britanny for being so helpful, and to the doormen who were all gentlemen. Unfortunately, the noise let us down. We were on the 6th floor. The windows are standard windows (not double glazed) and all we heard all night were car horns, lots and lots of sirens and people yelling. The noise from the floor boards from the room above sounded like they had a herd of elephants in the room. The in room air conditioner was an add on to the rom and was so loud, we had to switch it off at night only to then have to switch it on again when the room got hot. It was so loud, we had trouble hearing the TV. We had to buy ear plugs to get some rest. Apart from that, great location, great staff and helpful.

Room Tip: Upgrade from a standard room and buy ear plugs
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was our second stay at the Marcel which we discovered by accident when we walked by while staying in another hotel. It is sleek, modern and a great location. There is everything you might want within minutes of the hotel. Staff was friendly and helpful.. Rooms are immaculate. Rooftop lounge and outdoor deck are a plus. Rooms are quiet and continental breakfast very reasonable. We travel to New York often and will definitely make the Marcel our home away from home.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I did a quick overnight stay. I found the hotel on Expedia. It was in a good location close to union square where I had dinner that night. Close to subways also. The front desk staff was very nice while checking in. They also upgraded us to a bigger room complimentary. The room was perfect for the price and very comfortable. I will definitely stay here again next time I am in manhattan

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Have stayed 3 times at the Marcel -- each time the room was laid out differently but identically decorated. I travel alone and don't spend a lot of time in my room, so the size of the room works for me. The armoire held just about all my things, and the night stands had space for a little more. Location is perfect for me -- I love to walk in New York, and cabs as well as the bus on Third Avenue are available for longer jaunts. Staff is super-friendly -- always greeting guests, but not at all intrusive. As of June 2013 the adjoining restaurant had closed (not merely temporary redecorating), but there are a zillion other restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of the your recent stay at The Marcel!

We appreciate your loyalty and taking the time to inform us of your stay. I am so pleased to learn that your enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope that we are able to welcome you back for a fourth stay soon!

Nalini Sullivan
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 14, 2013

As others have described below, this boutique hotel is modern and stylish with compact rooms (though nothing out of the ordinary in NYC). Overall a great value! I just wanted to highlight how the staff went above and beyond when I left my Kindle in my hotel room upon checkout. Within hours I received a phone call letting me know I'd left it behind. Unfortunately I was already at the airport, so the hotel manager, Jacqueline, helped arrange shipment of my Kindle back to me. What a relief! Highly recommended all-around for your business or personal stay in NYC.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for posting a review of The Marcel! We appreciate your feedback and we love hearing about our wonderful team!

We hope that we can welcome you back soon!

Nalini Sullivan
Melbourne
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is a great spot - situated just outside midtown so it is a little quieter. It is still close enough to walk to Times Square and there are subway connections nearby. The rooms are quite small but I am led to believe they all are in New York. The staff are friendly and very helpful. The great thing about this place is the 10th floor which has a sitting area with free wifi and a great outdoor area that has a view of the Empire State Building.