“LOVE the Marcel!”

Ranked #149 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Indianapolis, Indiana
“LOVE the Marcel!”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Have stayed 3 times at the Marcel -- each time the room was laid out differently but identically decorated. I travel alone and don't spend a lot of time in my room, so the size of the room works for me. The armoire held just about all my things, and the night stands had space for a little more. Location is perfect for me -- I love to walk in New York, and cabs as well as the bus on Third Avenue are available for longer jaunts. Staff is super-friendly -- always greeting guests, but not at all intrusive. As of June 2013 the adjoining restaurant had closed (not merely temporary redecorating), but there are a zillion other restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of the your recent stay at The Marcel!

We appreciate your loyalty and taking the time to inform us of your stay. I am so pleased to learn that your enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope that we are able to welcome you back for a fourth stay soon!

Nalini Sullivan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 14, 2013

As others have described below, this boutique hotel is modern and stylish with compact rooms (though nothing out of the ordinary in NYC). Overall a great value! I just wanted to highlight how the staff went above and beyond when I left my Kindle in my hotel room upon checkout. Within hours I received a phone call letting me know I'd left it behind. Unfortunately I was already at the airport, so the hotel manager, Jacqueline, helped arrange shipment of my Kindle back to me. What a relief! Highly recommended all-around for your business or personal stay in NYC.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for posting a review of The Marcel! We appreciate your feedback and we love hearing about our wonderful team!

We hope that we can welcome you back soon!

Nalini Sullivan
Melbourne
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is a great spot - situated just outside midtown so it is a little quieter. It is still close enough to walk to Times Square and there are subway connections nearby. The rooms are quite small but I am led to believe they all are in New York. The staff are friendly and very helpful. The great thing about this place is the 10th floor which has a sitting area with free wifi and a great outdoor area that has a view of the Empire State Building.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I just completed my third stay at The Marcel, and once again, I had a terrific experience. This is a "boutique" hotel - smaller, stylish, and feels a little like a well-kept secret. I've found it to be one of the best values for the money I've experienced in Manhattan.

The staff has always been exceptional, to a person. This morning I was checked out by a lovely young woman at the front desk named Doris. And Mohammed at the door is always friendly and helpful.

Location, for me, is very convenient. But if you're not familiar with the city, don't think you're staying in the theater district. You'll be close to all necessary public transportation, and enjoy proximity to Gramercy Park, and (by New York standards) short walks to Union Square, the Empire State Building and the Flatiron District.

Of course, like all even remotely reasonable Manhattan hotels, rooms are tight. But they are comfortable and stylishly decorated.

All in all, a really pleasurable place to stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Nice hotel, pleasant staff. Upscale hotel and therefore stay should have been excellent.
#1 - Nice room, however only closet space to put belongings, no dressers with drawers. I don't like to live out of a suitcase so this was a problem for me.
#2 - Small bathroom and no shelves in shower so had to place belongings on floor.
#3 - AC did not work 1st night but didn't realize until that night, slept uncomfortably, replaced component next day. AC should have checked out before room is designated.
#4 - Iron in room but no ironing board. Ask for board and immediately brought up but should have been in room closet
#5 - Welcomed us with bottle of wine in room upon arrival which was very nice but had to call down for wine bottle opener.
#6 - Complimentary coffee/tea available on 10th floor but 2nd day ran out of half & half and mentioned to staff and thought there would be some next day there was not so had to tell front desk. Half & Half was there next day. But they do not provided cream cheese with bagels.
Staff was very nice and service was dealt with immediately, but above things need to be worked on to correlate with price of this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed over the winter. It was a nice hotel, not very eccentric or original. Comfortable bed, nice little bathroom. Quite a small room but for that price I wouldnt have expected more. The room service is amazing they have an italian place downstairs to die for! The staff is average, not rude but not welcoming either.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed at the Marcel at Gramercy recently (booked it through a search engine; I travel to New York often for work and sometimes it’s just too expensive to stay at the regular places I like to go to). The hotel is just east of Madison Square Park; when you walk in, the lobby is nice and the rooms are designed well (really small, but it’s New York). That’s about where my positives end. Everything in my review is regarding my stay and experience and who knows…maybe you will have a better visit and can write a positive review on this hotel. But I just didn’t have that luck.

First, I stayed two nights and in that time, I had to get FIVE new cards from downstairs because they wouldn’t work on my doors. And most of these instances, the front lobby had an attitude when I went to them. No “sorry” or “thank you”, just sighs and little words. Secondly, the WIFI (at least on the floor I was on) was terrible! Never worked during my whole stay. I had to go to their lounge on the 10th floor in order to get WIFI service; being on a work trip this was a very big issue. When I was in the lounge, I talked to a couple other people that couldn’t get online so I’m sure it wasn’t just my floor. The lounge closes at 10:30PM; one night the guy said I had to leave and basically shut the lights off on me. One good note: the lounge has an outside deck if it’s nice weather with some good photo opportunities of the buildings in New York.
Here’s the funny part of this…..so I called the front desk and told them WIFI wasn’t working; they transferred me to the “company” that could help me with the internet. I get transferred and after 30 seconds, get disconnected and hung up on. Best Part: When I check out, there is a phone charge for 1 minute…..my WIFI call! Hilarious.

As for the room, the bed was comfortable and the TV offered many channels. The big issue we had was with the A/C; it worked fine as far as temperatures but every 10 minutes we heard a big bang/roar coming from it. If you aren’t a deep sleeper, it will definitely wake you up. The shower “pole” is actually not nailed in; I guess it stretches between the walls and has suction cups to attach to them? One morning I pulled on the shower curtain and the whole thing collapsed on me. I had to take 10 minutes to put it back up how it was.

As mentioned above, these are my experiences with the hotel. Hopefully I just got really unlucky and other visitors will have positive feedback, but I know I won’t take that chance on this place again. Too many other options in New York City.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business