“Very nice hotel and very friendly staff”

The Marcel at Gramercy
Ranked #146 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Murcia, Spain
“Very nice hotel and very friendly staff”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This is a very nice place with excellent location. Modern decoration and very friendly staff. It's not cheap, but in our case we were 3 people and the price per person was quite OK. The room is very nice and in the last floor you have a very nice terrace with the view of Empire State. I'd come back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you so much for writing a review of your stay!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as our staff! We are very proud of our team and we love hearing about them from our guests!

We hope we are able to welcome you back very soon!

Nalini Sullivan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The hotel was lovely, friendly staff, the room was nice; a little small but to be expected in NYC. The space was enough for one person. My favorite spot of the hotel was sitting up on the roof drinking my coffee in the morning and relaxing in the early evening. The views were wonderful from up there. The hotel was also very convenient and I walked everywhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for writing a review of your stay! I am so pleased that you enjoyed the views from our Roof Top Patio. This area a huge amenity exclusive to our guests, and I am glad that you were able to take advantage of it!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope we are able to welcome you back very soon!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This place seems in not the very, very cheapest and the rooms are pretty small, but it's got it where it counts. I wouldn't want to spend any less than this in NYC and the price I paid was only $50 a night more than a complete dive not far away.

Location is excellent, it's clean, it has a pleasant lounge / business room on the 10th floor with good free WiFi and coffee and tea on tap all day for free. Powdered milk up there is a bit of a downer but if you really cared, you could step across the street and buy your own milk.

The rooms are tight (every room in NYC is) but bigger than rooms I've seen in, say, The Hudson. They're clean, the showers are nice and modern and come with a full pack of toiletries

On this visit I booked 15 minutes before arriving after checking into another hotel across the city that turned out to be a complete dive. I'd stayed one time before at Marcel and remembered it and was delighted they had a room at late notice. With a bit of pleading they discounted the first offered rate on the phone as I was booking direct on the phone with the front desk from the street outside another hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for writing a review of your stay! I am so pleased to hear we were able to accommodate your reservation on such short notice.

I am also thrilled that you were able to relax in our guest lounge and roof patio.

Alingsas, Sweden
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed there for one night only, on our trip to Bermuda, but we would gladly come back some other time. Clean room, nice decor...and very friendly and helpful staff. Nice location, too, close to almost everything, within walking distance of what we wanted to see that afternoon and night anyway. Macy´s, Top of the Rock...all in the vicinity.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for writing a review of your stay! I am very pleased that our team was accommodating to your needs.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The Marcel at Gramercy just did not deliver the true 4-Star experience that I paid for.

The staff was very nice, the hotel decor was chic, our rooms were very clean, and there were decent amenities, but I can get the same thing from a Hampton Inn...maybe even more. I was just expecting more from a purported four star hotel.

Let me start by saying that I booked a standard queen room and upon arrival we were comped an "upgrade". I had read the reviews saying that the rooms were on the smaller side, but thank goodness our room made me scared to think of the room that I was supposed to get.

The room we received was Deluxe Double-Double, and I think we would have been better off with one queen sized bed. The beds were not only small, but they were short. My boyfriend is 6'2 and had to sleep in one bed alone, diagonal across the bed. Needless to say, romance didn't ensue from our sleeping situation.

Aside from the bed situation, our room was also somehow on a slant. At first we thought it may have been vertigo from our flight, but we later confirmed this by filling the sink up and watching the water pool more on one side. I'm no engineer, so I can't say if this is good structurally but ye be warned!

Furthermore, our view was a brick wall and a set of pipes. This wasn't entirely bad because we were able to sleep in a little (in our separate beds) since very little light entered the room.

And lastly, there was only one mirror in the room and it was the one in the bathroom.

Overall, the hotel served its purpose as a nice clean place to sleep at night. The 10th floor view and coffee was nice, and it was in a great area and easy to get to from the subway. However, I would not call it a four star hotel and I would definitely say for what you get it was way overpriced.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for writing a review of your stay! I am disappointed to learn that we did not exceed your expectations.

If you would like to discuss your stay further please feel free to contact me at nsullivan@amsterdamhospitality.com.

Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We were in the city for a long weekend and stayed at the Marcel. A great neighborhood location. You feel at home in this area very quickly. Really liked the room -- not too large but good for NYC. Cool modern décor both in the rooms and lobby. Very comfortable and clean.
The 10th floor lounge was a bonus -- a nice place to grab a cup of coffee or tea anytime, check email, or enjoy the city views from the rooftop terrace. VERY helpful staff -- everyone from housekeeping to Doris and Lindsay at the front desk and Mohamed at the door did everything they could to assist us. Even provided umbrellas for rainy weather.
Convenient to subways, Madison Square Park, and just a quick walk to Union Square. Great choice! We plan to return.

1 Thank Anne K
Thank you so much for writing a review of your stay!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very pleased that you enjoyed our central location and fantastic neighborhood of the Gramercy District.

I am also pleased to learn that some members of staff stood out, we love hearing about our wonderful team!

We hope we are able to welcome you back very soon!

Rishon Lezion, Israel
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We just arrived from a 5 days trip.
The hotel is very clean, the staff warm and friendly. the location is perfect !
We booked a room through "Hotels". Although I knew that the rooms are very small I was amazed to find how small they are even for a NYC hotels.
I go to the reception to explain that we arrived for 5 days and we have 2 suitcases , and really there is no place even to get dressed.
I'm really not a complaining type or spoiled, i just needed a basic room.
The girls were wonderful! They asked us to wait for the next morning since the hotel is fully booked.
The morning after, we packed our things and left. When we returned in the evening , our suitcases moved to other room, bigger and spacious.
I want to thank Jacqueline and Lindsey - you are great !
I most liked the balcony on the 10th floor, what a wonderful way to start the day with a cup of coffee or close the day with a glass of wine and watch the NY amazing view.
Very recommended!