“Great place to stay!”

The Marcel at Gramercy
Ranked #140 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We booked our rooms at the Marcel at Gramercy very last minute after other plans fell through, and we really lucked out! The beds were extremely comfortable, the staff was very helpful and friendly, and the atmosphere of the hotel was very unique and fun. The doorman, Danny, who helped us with our bags, was great. We will definitely be staying at the Marcel again when we return to NYC!!

1  Thank Amber C
There are newer reviews for The Marcel at Gramercy

Reviewed March 22, 2013

A lot of reviews I read were accurate. We upgraded to a King because I read about (and saw) the small standard room on tripadvisor. It was still a little small at the bottom of the bed but had a closet and a nice bathroom.
For the price it was great. Clean room and bathroom, 10th floor lounge with ESB view and the neighborhood were positives. Our favorite area (just around the corner on 3rd) restaurants and bars were Molly's and Bluebell. But there are many more to choose from. You can even take a walk to historic taverns/restaurants like Old Town Bar and Pete's Tavern near Union Square.
The only negative was calling the front desk to send someone up to fix the shower faucets/fixtures. It would be nice if they invested in just a little upgrade in that area since many other reviewers mention problems with water pressure, temperature or some other shower or faucet related issue.
You are about halfway between Central Park and the Wall Street. You can easily get anywhere in Manhatten (and other boroughs) on the subway or in a cab. You can even walk many places.
Overall we had a wonderful stay and a great time and felt like we got a great deal.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Positives included the service - everyone was very nice - and a partnership with a parking garage across the street for only $25/24 hours (a good deal for NYC). From reading reviews on TripAdvisor, I knew to expect small rooms. Rooms were indeed quite small, though the bed was comfortable and the room clean overall. What I didn't like was our inward facing window, which let in very little light and had absolutely no view. It made a small room feel even smaller. Overall, though the people were friendly I didn't feel this was great value for money.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Super hip, close to everything, on site bar & restaurant. Rooms are small but impeccable & awesome! Staff is ultra professional, lobby is super chic & modern. I'd stay again & again! Nothing negative to review about this hotel, I LOVE IT!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Biki
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was our 4th time at this hotel and boy , what a difference a year makes. During the middle of last year i think the hotel was bought out by another company and so with it went the lovely restaurant (Inoteca) and what would seem all the decent staff from last year.Whilst the staff here now are pleasant enough i feel the sincerity has gone and they are now more corporate in their attitudes.We normally opt for a standard room and because we are loyal customers we recieve an upgrade upon arrival but not this time.Because we had pre paid we were put in the smallest of all the rooms and was told that if we wanted to upgrade we could at a price of $30 per night plus taxes.As we were staying 6 nights i thought i could spend my money more wisely and so declined.Everything now seems a bit more of an effort for them and you can see that the decor hasn't been updated since the takeover.Just a small point but the tv in our room was an old style crt not flat screen so we can only assume that it was staff quarters previously and is now open to the public(you could see that the door had been opened by force at some point)
I should have been alerted to the new regime when i phoned the night before our arrival as i had booked last october and so i wanted to make sure i was still on their books, the girl on the desk said she was new and could she phone me back as she couldn't find me, so i said that i was calling from the uk and was that ok; to this point she suddenley found me and said yes we have you booked in for 6 nights, i thought , great at least im there , so i started to enquire if some of the old staff were there and was abruptly cut off, oops i must have trod on a nerve because they must be constantly compared to the old staff and quite frankly , they don't match up.
Maybe things will eventually sort themselves out but for now i will be looking elsewhere after 4 yrs, sad isn't it.

1  Thank saint1674
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you for posting a review.

I am very disappointed to learn that you did not have the same experience as you did last year. Please know that we are not under new ownership nor new management.

I would love to discuss your stay further, please contact me at nsullivan@amsterdamhospitality.com

My apologies for the inconveniences you encountered and I look forward to hearing from you.

Nalini Sullivan

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I had such high hopes - boutique hotel in Gramercy - sounded perfect. However after paying $350.00 per night, I would have expected to have a room that was not so utterly claustrophobic and to have a restaurant on site as advertised. (No restaurant any longer - closed.) There was room service - bad selection and took a very long time for a cup of soup, and the breakfast did not have egg dishes as I was told it would. Not a lot of restaurant options in the immediate vicinity, and the front desk staff happily informed me that they were sold out for the remainder of the week and could not provide me with a bigger room. Stay away - unless you enjoy paying top dollar for small and uncomfortable.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank GigiT321

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor!

I am terribly disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. It is always recommended to book on our website direct as you are able to see the many room choices that we have available as we have options for all budgets. The standard room category is the average size for NYC hotels and if the room size is important it is recommended to reserve a room one category up.

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations, I hope that you give us another opportunity in the future.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Nalini Sullivan

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I booked this hotel as it had good ratings, was in the right neighborhood for my business and was reasonable. I was wholly unprepared for the tiny, tiny proportions of the room. I called the hotel in advance to inquire about the room size, as I needed to bring a couple of boxes for an event. The guy on the phone said it would be fine since I was staying alone. I even asked the square footage but he didn't know it (or didn't want to admit it). On Hotels.com there was just the "standard" room option. The first room they sent me to (no chance of a bellman) was a shock - NO WINDOW and about 6x10 total, no closet and a tiny bathroom that one person could stand it. Is it legal to have a room with no window? I called down and they said they were fully booked but they did have the same room category on the window side (who knew there was such a thing as no window - not even one facing an alley). That room was equally tiny but the window at least did not make you feel you were in a cell in a dungeon - just a cell with a window. I am completely serious - about the proportions. You cannot even walk on either side of the bed - which is about a full size - not much bigger than a twin - so you have to just leap on the bed from the foot of it. And no chance to have my boxes with me - there was not even room to set the suitcase down and still make it into the bathroom. I had to unpack it into a tiny chest and then squeeze around it upright. The "closet" is a bar by the bed - so yes you can touch your clothes while you are sleeping.

One positive is that the doormen - the two I met while there two nights - were very friendly and helpful and felt a bit sheepish when I needed help and they could not help me (related to the room size). Apparently, above the 5th floor the rooms are bigger - but honestly there should NEVER be a reason to stay in a room this small, especially when I had that specific concern and was not told honestly about the tiny proportions. I have stayed in many, many NYC hotels. Many tiny ones - but this was unbelievable. I cannot fathom how it could get consistently 4 stars unless there is some sort of fix in. BEWARE!!!!

Also – the neighborhood is lacking – the wine bar reported to be on the corner is shuttered as is the bar down the street – but you can buy some wine at the liquor store in between and hear all about how the rent is causing everyone to close down. You will need the wine if you want to stay here.

Room Tip: Do not even think about a "standard" room - it is a postage stamp. Some with no windows...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business