“Mini Staycation - Great Hotel!”

The Marcel at Gramercy
Ranked #122 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I decided to stay at this hotel as a mini staycation to myself in February. At first I almost missed the door to the hotel but once I found it, I was very happy with the sleekness of the lobby. There was only once front desk agent when I arrived so check in was a little slow since there was a line, but he was very friendly. I stayed on the 7th floor, which at first seemed like a maze to find my room but it worked out just fine and there was a floor plan close to the elevators that helped.

I loved my room! The decor was awesome and the bed was very comfortable. I liked that I had to insert my room key to get power, which was super efficient. While the room appears to be small, it turns out there was plenty of space. I really enjoyed the amenities in the bathroom - the shampoo and conditioner - thought they were great quality. I also really liked the style of the bathroom as well - the shape of the sink made up for any missing space.

I would stay here again hands down. It was a pleasant experience and the hotel was lovely. The only thing that was confusing to me was the parking situation. When I spoke to the reservations agent that booked my room, she said there would be parking at the hotel. I wound up parking in a garage a block away and there was no offered information about parking from anyone who worked there. In the end though, I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (3,245)

Reviewed March 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Marcel on a Saturday night. The staff is incredibly friendly and accommodating. The decor is chic and modern. It is a boutique hotel in NYC so it is on the smaller size but the layout maximized the space. We had a standard double room which is their smallest room, the total cost was $180. We first had room 801, being in the 8th floor, it was was very quiet but we had an interior view which faced a wall so we asked to change rooms, ending up in room 510. The front desk was very fast and nice about having keys to other rooms brought up right away so we could look and pick. The first room's layout meant it had a larger bathroom but less room around the bed and tv. The second room was more spacious but expect that it is a smaller room, if you're going to stay for a few nights, upgrading might be better. We asked for a room facing the street and had a nice view up the avenue and didn't have any problems with traffic noise. We loved the sleek, funky decoration. There was a great italian restaurant up the street called La Follia that was amazing. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Appealing to the young and trendy , Hotel « Le Marcel » is stylishly designed in a systematic combination of dark grey, black and white . The rooms are generally comfortable .Some of them , labeled « Standard » , should be avoided , because of their tiny dimensions . The service is friendly and efficient . Besides the exiguity of certain rooms I only have two small critiques to express (1) Breakfast ( not included ) is both frugal and relatively expensive (2) While calling itself « At Gramercy » Le Marcel is in fact on Third avenue and 24th street , an area that is convenienty situated but involves no direct proximity to Gramercy Park .

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms with an inside view, and those labeled "standard" ( standard means very...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I definately recommend the hotel for the quality and price compared to a handful of well known nyc hotels that I have stayed in.
Location is great - convenient to the subway!
The beds are fantastic and the rooms impeccably clean and decor tasteful.
I had a two double bed room and it was more than large and super quiet!!!! #1002

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank beachlbuddy
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I would have no hesitation recommending this hotel. Location is great - convenient to the subway - Baruch College is literally right accross the street so if you are attending that location for any reason, you couldn't get anything more convenient. The room was superb. I had a two double bed room and it was more than large enough for our purposes. Staff was incredibly helpful and the guest lounge on the 10th floor was certainly a nice place to work/relax.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

What a pleasure to find a wonderful and exceedingly helpful staff at this sweet and intimate feeling modern hotel. We had booked a room through Hotels.com at a fantastic rate and upon arrival we found that we could upgrade from a double bed to a superior king for very little more. The beds are fantastic and the rooms impeccably clean and decor tasteful. There is an open, relaxed lounge room on the tenth floor with hotel computers and a printer with open views of the city and the Empire State Building which offers complimentary tea and coffee and also doubles as a breakfast room. All in all, we could not have asked for better accommodations!

Room Tip: Just talk to the delightfully helpful staff at the front desk....they delight in helping guests!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The Marcel at Gramercy was honestly a pleasent surprise. The deco is tasteful and of quality. Upon reserving, I thought it might be a hotel nice in photos but chinzy in real life, but I was mistaken. The staff was often seen cleaning the public areas, lounges, elevators, hallways.

The cute and friendly desk staff are well cast to be helpful and efficient without over doing it.

The 10th floor lounge and terrace are inviting, roomy, spaceous....oh and the view !!!

The standard room with a 24th street view was small but workable. The bed was very comfortable. The shower pressure and hot water were perfect! A last night taste of a king size corner room with an Empire State Building view was a true treat...shower equally as good, the bed seemed a bit firmer than the bed in the standard room. Television reception in both rooms were snowy but who goes to NYC to watch tv?

One suggestion tho', use caution when pulling tissues from the decorative metal holder. It tends to slide off the shelf which could potentially land in the toilet or on your foot, either of which at the risk of breaking!

Room Tip: The upper floors logically have better views.