“Great stay for a great price!”

The Marcel at Gramercy
Ranked #139 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I was in NYC for a few nights back in December for an interview and decided to stay here because it was close to where I needed to go. I booked a standard room for a very reasonable price. The room wasn't very big (obviously-it's NY) but it was exteremely comfortable and perfect for the 2 nights. There was a lovely business center on their 10th floor where I would go sit and enjoy the free coffee they had there, while looking at the Empire State Building. The staff was quick and efficient when I called down for things and Lindsey & Jacky at the front desk we're able to give me the exact directions of where I needed to go as well as great tips for places to grab a quick bite and where to shop! I will most definitely stay at the marcel when I go visit NYC again!

Room Tip: A standard room is perfect for a short stay. If you are staying for a while-book a king room!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed February 21, 2013

My daughter goes to school in the city and has lived in the East Village and Gramercy. This hotel is conveniently located to both. It is clean and quiet and located near loads of excellent restaurants. I've really enjoyed staying in quieter part of town with less of tourist feel. It's a quick subway or cab ride to anywhere you want to go from here. I highly recommend the Marcel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor!

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our residential location added to your enjoyment!

We hope that we are able to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I love this hotel. It is beautifully decorated, perfectly clean and the staff is terrific. The greatest complement that I can give any hotel (and I don't say it often) - is that the staff made us feel special!! We arrived early and the room wasn't quite ready, then a little complication with the bellman and our bags. The hotel more than made up for any inconvenience with an upgrade, and follow-up calls and amenities. They completely "wowed" us with the follow-up. Plus, for those to whom it makes a big difference (like my wife), the hotel is green.

Room Tip: I have read the reviews on the rooms being small. The standard room is very tight. If that is goin...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for posting your experience on TripAdvisor!

We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your stay. I am so pleased that our staff was so accommodating to you while staying with us.

We hope to see soon once again!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I've stayed at a few hotels in the city, and this was by far my favorite. The service was amazing, the rooms were spotless, and the location was great and not too loud. Jacqueline at the front desk was super friendly and helpful. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting on TripAdvisor!

We are so glad that you loved our property and staff! We appreciate you taking the time to post a review.

We hope that we are able to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Nice hotel for NYC. Of special fun was the sitting on the upper floor with a large terrace. My room was small but comfortable, though I heard that some other rooms are not so great, some with a window to a wall. Upon my request I got a street view in upper floor with some bearable city noise.

Room Tip: Nice hotel for NYC. Of special fun was the sitting on the upper floor with a large terrace. My room...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor!

We appreciate you taking the time to post a review and inform us of your stay.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and hope that we are able to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Clean room, comfortable bed, small but clean bathroom, staff super nice especially Mohamed who was always smiling and helped with the luggages and arrangement of the cab to the airport. Free use of wifi on the 10th floor. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: higher floor
Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I have stayed at the Marcel 3 times and each visit has been perfect. The location of the hotel has been great for us since we've always come for a Memory Competition happening around Union Square, a 10 minute walk from the hotel. You can pretty much walk to all of the places you want to be (soho, E. Village, 5th Ave) but If you're not much of a walker, there's a close subway stop or you can easily grab a cab on 3rd Ave. Gramercy is kind of a quiet neighborhood so it's nice to come back to the hotel after a hectic day.

The hotel lobby is relatively small but has a very nice cozy cool feeling with gas fireplaces and nice seating. The check-in staff are incredibly friendly and accommodating.
The first room we ever stayed in was a bit on the smaller side but it was very clean and comfortable, and the view made up for it. The last two times we stayed in a corner room - the room was much bigger, with a view of the empire state building!

The common lounge on the 10th floor also has this great view of the empire state building - my boyfriend was actually interviewed and photographed on this outdoor deck because the backdrop is so quintessentially NY. Definitely worth starting or ending your day up there.

Ps. There's a great little bagel shop on 25th and 3rd - delicious, warm bagels for cheap, great and easy breakfast! The restaurant downstairs from the hotel, Inoteca, was a great place for lunch or a glass of wine before heading out to dinner.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple