“Big fan of this small, boutique hotel”

The Marcel at Gramercy
Ranked #139 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Spent 3 very comfortable nights here. Most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, so big points for that. My room was perfect for one person: a standard queen bed, desk, and a bathroom with plenty of shelving to stash all my stuff, good water pressure and plenty of hot water. Room was impeccably clean. Hotel staff very attentive and friendly. Doorman gave us very good restaurant advice and directions, got us cabs. The rooftop terrace garden was lovely. This is not a big glitzy place. It is warm, cozy and one feels very safe here. I'll be back

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kathie C
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed our hotel and our team was helpful to you during your stay with us!

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We truly enjoyed our stay at The Marcel at Gramercy. There was an event at the Gramercy Theater that we went to, quick walking distance was one reason why we chose this property and the fact it is a boutique hotel. Subway is close by as well. Our room was not ready when we arrived and the receptionist gave us the recommendation of the Bluebell Cafe right down the street - so glad she did, it was one of our favorite places we ate at during our stay.
Our room was on the 10th floor with a balcony-very charming we had a nice view of the MetLife Tower in the distance. The beds were extremely comfortable - each night was a perfect night sleep, as far as noise-yes, you can hear the noise of the city but you are in NYC...I kinda liked it, reminded me where we were...it was not loud to be so disturbing at all. All the staff was very accommodating. Breakfast was in a room with a great view of the Empire State Building, The food was pretty basic, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, toast, bagels, hard boiled eggs, I only wish the pastries were fresher and that breakfast was included with the stay. We had a voucher for breakfast, if we did not have that, I think we would have went elsewhere.
The lounge where it was served also has 2 free computers to use and during the day. They also have a self services, coffee, tea and water during the day.
Our flight did not leave until late in the evening, we were able to store our luggage and enjoy more of the city to come back for a car ride to the airport. They charged $40 for car service to LGA which we used. Price included taxes and tip.
I know that we will be back to this hotel, it was very clean, comfortable with a very extremely friendly staff. You won't go wrong here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Thank you very much for posting your review on TripAdvisor! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location to The Gramercy Theater.

We are pleased that you will return to us upon your next visit to NYC and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We recently decided to go to NYC on a quick overnight trip with our 11 y.o. son. I booked a deluxe double room with two double beds but upon arrival, not only was our room available at 1:00, but we were kindly upgraded to a Jr. Suite! The room was huge by NYC standards, with 2 tvs and two separate rooms. I loved the decor~ modern and crisp and color-coordinated :)
The location just 2 blocks from Grammercy Square and a couple of blocks from Union Square couldn't have been better for what we wanted to do and see.
We will definitely stay there again soon!

Room Tip: Our Jr. Suite was 1003, on the top floor (10). It was full of light and quiet. Plus, there was com...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We are most appreciative of your kind words!

We hope that you think of us upon your next visit to NYC, thank you again for your time-we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed January 25, 2013

If you are looking for a clean, comfortable and very reasonably priced hotel in the Gramercy Park neighborhood, try the Marcel. Extremely friendly and helpful staff, an extremely clean and comfortable room, free wifi for guests, and a terrific residential location make it worth the trip to 3rd Ave. They are now my go-to hotel for overnight trips.

Room Tip: Request a room on the inner courtyard: I did not hear so much as a taxi horn all night.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SniffySniff
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

Thank you for posting on TripAdvisor!

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We do offer some great promotions that include Wi-Fi and I am delighted you were able to take advantage!

Our website always has fantastic specials so always check our site before booking anywhere else!

Thank you again for your time, we are very grateful for your review!

Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Really loved this hotel. Been to NYC a lot and much prefer to boutique hotel experience. Staff were warm and welcoming. On hearing it was our wedding anniversary we were sent a complimentary bottle of Prosecco. Rooms much better than average size, we overlooked the street, but I don't mind that. A little noise but earplugs sort that out easily! I quite like the noise of NYC. Great roof terrace with views of the city, my only negative complaint was that the terrace closed too early in the evening.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shel1964

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted that we were able to make your anniversary a little more special! I am glad that you enjoyed our roof top terrace, the view is quite amazing.

We do close the terrace after 10:30 pm out of respect to our guests residing on the floor. You can always speak with the manager on duty to request the terrace to be open a little later, if it is at all possible we would absolutely accommodate the request!

Thank you again for your time and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I visit the NYC area frequently for business. I usually try to stay outside of the city because of the hotel prices, however there are times that I need to stay in the city. Most of my time is in the Chelsea area and the hotels in that area can be pricey. My travel manager told me about this place and I have stayed there several times. Always pleased with the stays and the price is much better than some other hotels. Even during Christmas when hotels were $400.00 plus, this hotel was less than $300.00. Close to a nice little market in case you want a snack and walking distance to some really nice restaurants. Some other review stated it was noisy. Welcome to New York city. I found my room quiet even though there was construction out on the street. I stayed at the Hilton by central park several months ago and was up all night because of a street vendor who was serving all the partying people throughout the night. This place is in a nice safe and convenient area.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others. I am glad to learn that you were able to take advantage of the great promotions we have had over the past few months!

Always check back on our website for fresh new promotions and specials!

Thank you once again and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We recently stayed at the Marcel on a trip to NYC. We love the hotel's location, and the staff are probably the friendliest and most accommodating in the whole city. We stayed on the 8th floor. Great views, extra comfy bed, plenty of towels, bath products, and hangers in the closet!!!! To name names.. the hotel GM - Nalini Sullivan knows how to run a great hotel. All the staff were pleasant, rom housekeeping to doorman. Even called a car for us to take us to the airport. The hotel was immaculate, we will absolutely be back on our next trip to NYC.

Room Tip: 8th floor was perfect
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank phx7

Thank you so much for posting on TripAdvisor!

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel. Our team is most appreciative for you taking the time to compliment them. We are very proud of our associates at The Marcel and I am delighted that they contributed to your positive experience.

We hope to see you very soon at The Marcel once again!