“Disappointed in lack of acknowledgement of birthday”

The Marcel at Gramercy
Ranked #112 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed at the Marcel at Gramercy in October 2011 with my mother whose 'special' birthday it was on the day we arrived from London. The experience was OK, the best part of the hotel was the rooftop patio on the 10th floor with excellent views of the Empire State Building and the free coffee and tea facility. I would not recommend the overpriced continental breakfast, there are so many places around where one can get a better and cheaper breakfast. I am very disappointed that the hotel made no gesture to acknowledge my mother's birthday even though I mentioned it when booking the hotel and also during the check-in. I have stayed in plenty of hotels where they have sent up a bottle of wine or at the very least acknowledged the birthday or anniversary by way of a card! It is the small gestures that make a hotel top class. Marcel fell short. I am returning to New York next year and will look to stay elsewhere!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Auntie H
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Thank you for posting your experience on TripAdvisor!

Please accept my sincere apology for the oversight in acknowledgment of your mothers birthday.

At The Marcel at Gramercy we pride ourselves in the personalized service that we offer to our guests and always make an attempt to recognize a special occasion if we are notified in advance.

I completely understand your disappointment and would love to hear from you personally. I hope that your mother enjoyed her birthday in NYC and your overall stay was a pleasant one.

Please email me at nsullivan@amsterdamhospitality.com to discuss further.

Thanks once again for your feedback and I hope to hear from you!

Nalini Sullivan

Write a ReviewReviews (3,399)

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Booked with Hotwire for a standard room for 2 adults room has just 1 SMALL bed hotel blamed Hotwire for over selling their rooms and this was a standard room refused to give us a room with 2 beds Hotwire even called them to try and help. Staff was not helpful or understanding at all, I was traveling with a friend and not someone I would share a bed with. Lobby was overall cool, when I did look at the room it was dark small and looked well past its prime everythong just felt beat-up cheap and poorly maintained. Hotwire moved us to a another hotel and paid the cost difference.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Calvin T
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We do offer a wide range of room types varying from Express (small cozy rooms) to Deluxe Double Doubles (larger rooms with two beds). Upon making your reservation is is always best to reserve what will accommodate you and your guests. If upon check in we have the availability to upgrade you we will, but it is not a guarantee and should not be expected-this is why it is important to consider your budget and accommodation needs before making a reservation with us.

It is unfortunate that you had to depart The Marcel, I hope you consider us upon your next visit to NYC.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Great staff and great service!! Was there when hurricane sandy hit and for 4 days after. All staff were very helpful and caring. They provided a light lunch or snack buffet every afternoon at no charge to the guest and they did not even charge for the breakfast!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Cheryl V

Thank you so much for posting on TripAdvisor!

We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your experience at The Marcel at Gramercy.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I've stayed here a few times when we could get special discount rates. It's a nicely decorated place with comfortable beds. Their standard rooms are verrrry small indeed. The service is pleasant. If it's pouring, you might want to pay for the okay breakfast buffet. Many competitors offer a much better breakfast free, so be sure to remember that this one is certainly not free.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the avenue.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ManhattanAdwoman
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor!

We are very thankful for your loyalty to us and we appreciate your feedback. Please note that we do offer a variety of room types and if you find our Standard or Express Rooms too cozy for your taste, I would definitely recommend reserving a Deluxe room category.

We hope we are able to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Thanks to staff at Marcel Gramercy NYC for your service and attention to our team on 10/24-26, 2012. We had a great stay at your hotel, and really appreciated your extra efforts to help us get our entire group booked at your property, receive all our work materials on time via Fed Ex, and arrange for storage of all our things. Good luck to you and all at the Marcel. Special thanks to team member Helena Glosnicka for assisting us. Tip to all customers, call the hotel directly, because using the 3rd party booking entity was useless. Their computers showed no or limited availabilities, and different rates, which were altogether not the case.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Xander S

Thank you so much for posting on TripAdvisor!

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I would recommend this hotel to those who are seeking a chic hotel with an intimate feel, who insist on a comfortable, quiet room with hip decor. The professionals at the front desk are very helpful. I extended my stay at the Marcel instead of going to the Hilton where I get reward points. I stayed nine days and was delighted with every aspect of the hotel. Jacquelin, the front office manager, always answered my smart phone 'texts' quickly when I was out and about and had a few questions during my stay. All the employees are top notch, from those at the front door to those who make sure the top floor sitting area and rooftop patio is 'just right'. The Marcel has an intimate, calm feel to it but when you walk out the door, you are only minutes from everything that you will need in NYC!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Thanks so much Jacquelin and Lindsay for making my mom's trip to New York
such a memorable one! Our room, 404 was perfect, the lounge and the patio
was awesome, your service impeccable!!! People like you make us want to
come back sooner than later. It's unfortunate that hurricane Sandy cut our
vacation short by 2 days, we were so sad. The best part about Marcel
is the proximity to Gramercy, the NYU dorm. We had the best time, and
my daughter loved your hotel too and showed it off to all her friends from
NYU after her performance with David Gordon. Thanks so much for