3,731 results
All reviewsguest loungefloor loungenew yorktenth floorthe empire state buildingroof terracemadison square parkboutique hotelfree coffeerooms are smallbigger roomstreet noisecontinental breakfastan upgradecorner roomhigher floorbig apple
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I travel to New York a few times per year. We usually stay at The Alex on Lexington, but this time there was no space there so we decided to try something new. In my opinion the boutique hotels are pretty hot places, just because the vibe is different from that of the typical Times Square Hotels. The Marcel is a very chic hotel located in a very hip part of town (SOHO). There is a subway about 5 minutes away, and since it is located in the 20's, you are close to soho shopping as well as Macy's and Midtown.
The staff was helpful, however it seemed there was a problem with the people before me. To all fellow travellers, if you are emitting negative energy, do not expect people to try their best when it comes to helping you. Remember that saying, "You catch more bees wit honey than you do with vinegar".
Anyway, we had a great stay. The only negative comment that I have to say (really it isn't that negative) is that the rooms are very small. This is actually normal for New York. Living space in general is smaller, but this room was very small. We did however have the opportunity to upgrade to a bigger room, but since we really only spend the time unconscious at our hotel, we figured we'd have drinks with the money we saved.
Young couple, girls weekend, mother daughter trip, this boutique hotel is a great find!

OH! and the rooftop terrace is a unique photo op!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is one on my favoutite hotels in New York.
Its a small hotel but very cute.
I have only ever stayed in the double deluxe rooms so as far as size goes i'm not sure how small a king room would be.
The staff are very helpful and friendly.
There is also a rooftop where you can go and chill and sunbathe.
I have stayed at this hotel 4 times as I visit New York frequently.
The prices here have risen quite dramatically since I first started visiting so I usally find cheaper 4 star hotels now but I would most definately recommend it.
The location is excellent too, its on a quiet street with lots of nice places to eat and within walking distance or 34th for shopping. If you're lazy and dont like walking you can get in a taxi which will take 2 minutes.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is TINY! Rooms are smaller than in a cruise ship, and we didn't have an option to upgrade. We asked for a bigger room and they tell us to "keep calling" the next day because they have like no connection with people in the next work schedule. The location is good. Overpriced for what u get.

• Stayed: September 2012
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Thank you for posting a review of your stay on TripAdvisor. I am very glad that you enjoyed our convenient location.

I am disappointed to learn that you did not find your accommodations to your liking. We do offer an array of room types at the Marcel at many different price points to give our guests options. We often are able to offer an upgrade complimentary when we have the availability as reflected in our many positive reviews and we would not know if we are able to upgrade a guest to a larger room complimentary until the actual date of arrival-this is why we recommend to reserve a Superior or Deluxe room in advance as our Standard rooms are the typical size for most New York City hotels.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post a review-Please feel free to contact me direct upon your next visit to NYC at nsullivan@amsterdamhospitality.com or if you would like to further discuss your stay.

Nalini Sullivan

Reviewed September 12, 2012

The wife wanted to celebrate her birthday dinner in the city with our grown kids and we decided it would be best to book a room as well. Upon arrival and throughout our stay the staff were very friendly and helpful. The room (and lobby) were nicely decorated and clean. It was fun exploring the neighborhood and when we were ready for check-in, they upgraded us to a junior suite. One of the highlights was spending an hour or so after dinner on the 10th floor deck. The views were spectacular. We are already planning a return trip.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stylish, boutique hotel. Convenient to NYU dental, medical schools, and Langone Medical Center; Exceptionally pleasant and helpful staff. Will definitely book another for another trip. Short walk to Union Square Farmers' Market.

Room Tip: Quiter rooms do not front 3rd Ave
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear pwkaplan,

Thank you very much for posting a review on TripAdvisor! We appreciate you taking the time to post a review and note our convenient location.

I am very glad to hear that your experience with the staff was pleasant-I hope that we are able to welcome you back very soon!

Thanks again!