“Perfect stay :)” 5 of 5 stars

The Marcel at Gramercy
Ranked #190 of 478 Hotels in New York City
“Perfect stay :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

We, a couple from Sweden, spent one week at this hotel and it was great all the way.
Very good location, splendid terrasse with view on the Empire State building, very friendly staff (we will for example remember Paul who was very helpful), very good breakfast. At our arrival, we felt that the room we were given was a bit small and we were kindly offered an upgrade to a bigger room. We strongly recommend this hotel.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vincehood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

The location of the hotel is in a local neighorhood yet walking distance to the cool neighborhoods like Madison Park Square,Union Square, Chelsea/Meatpacking and the Villages. The front desk staff was welcoming and helpful. We were upgraded to a double double room at the same rate we booked for. The hotel has a cool, sleek feel to it. Our room was comfortable and quiet. There is a guest lounge with breakfast at a charge and free coffee and tea 24/7. The neighborhood has coffee shops and diner which is great for breakfast and several grocery stores.

We definitely recommend this hotel for couples and singles. We will definitely stay here again soon.

Room Tip: Rooms facing inside. Room 702 was quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Malibu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Great hotel, professional, efficient and friendly staff (Zack) that goes above and beyond, super friendly doorman (Raul and Dan). Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Costa Mesa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

On this last trip to NYC, I stayed at the Marcel while competing in Cardozo Law School's Moot Court (Oral Argument) Competition. I choose the Marcel at Gramercy because it was closest to Cardozo Law School for the price and very comfortable (the W was out of my school's price range). I had a great stay because the amenities were amazing (definitely check out the rootftop lounge both in the mornings and evenings for an incredible view of the Empire State Building) and employees were incredible.

One unexpected thing happened to me while there. On one day while leaving a taxi after visiting the 9/11 Memorial, I left my wallet in the the cab. Raul, one of the bellmen at Gramercy immediately told me what I had to do to get my wallet back: 1) call 311, 2) file a report, 3) search online for the taxi medallion number. Within an hour, I was able to find the taxi cab driver's personal contact information and had my wallet back. Getting one's wallet back is practically unheard of.

Raul saved the day. Thanks Raul.

Room Tip: Room with a great view may suffer from road noise and heat during the day. If you get a horrible vie...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I liked the small rooms. The bed was rock hard which made it hard to sleep. Staff was excellent. Danny at the front door went the extra mile to have a car waiting for me for the ride to the airport. That was not expected and much appreciated. Great location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Martigny-Croix, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Last week I stayed here for two nights and thought it was great. The location is wonderful and the staff is so friendly and helpful. My room was small but extremely clean and looked out to a brick wall but I slept like a log! I heard not one car horn or siren either night. I liked it so much that when I go back to NYC in July I am staying there again!

Room Tip: I stayed in 603, really small, I had to put my suitcase on the desk under the TV but very, very quie...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Tahlequah, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I love visiting New York, and have always stayed in the tourist areas. I found the Marcel a most agreeable and friendly hotel, and enjoyed it's location. The staff was very friendly and helpful. My room was much bigger than I was led to expect, and was very comfortable. I especially enjoyed the restaurant.

I would definitely stay at the Marcel again, and would recommend it without reservations.

Room Tip: My room facing south was quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Avalon Hotel
Avalon Hotel
#117 of 478 in New York City
4.5 of 5 stars 1,307 reviews

Been to The Marcel at Gramercy? Share your experiences!