3,731 results
All reviewsguest loungefloor loungenew yorktenth floorthe empire state buildingroof terracemadison square parkboutique hotelfree coffeerooms are smallbigger roomstreet noisecontinental breakfastan upgradecorner roomhigher floorbig apple
Reviewed March 25, 2011

We stayed at the Marcel for 5 nights in March, and I'll return any time I go to New York, without a doubt.
Check-in was friendly and flawless, which I really appreciated after a 7-hour flight from London Heathrow. My partner and I are dinosaurs who smoke, and we had no problem getting a smoking room. The free Wi-Fi was great, especially after paying 3 pounds in London for 15 minutes.
Our room was small but comfortable. We were in New York to see the siights, though, and size absolutely didn't matter in this case.
We wanted a place to sleep, and that was it. We got a comfortable bed and a nice, generally quiet room. One night was a little noisy because of some entertainment nearby, but even on St. Patrick's Day night, we got as much rest as we needed. (And I should also note that because we smoke, we actually took a smaller room than we had originally been upgraded to.)
The hotel has a rooftop observation deck with a nice view, good room service, and is in a location convenient to the subway at 23rd and Park, so you can get anywhere quickly and coveniently. The staff is extremely friendly, helpful, and oriented to service.
When it was time to pay, I was halfway expecting a problem because I had gotten an extremely good promotional deal. No problem. The bill was accurate to the penny.
We had a great time in New York and part of the reason was the Marcel.
Thanks for the super service and friendly attitude!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2011

Dear LarryJ917,

Thank you for such a detailed and complimentary review, it is most appreciated! I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am glad that you were able to take advantage of our promotional rates and we hope that upon your next visit to NYC you keep us in mind!

Thank you once again!

Reviewed March 24, 2011

We stayed here for a week, and it's an ideal hotel when visiting New York. The staff were very friendly throughout our stay. The hotel is very clean and tidy, and the rooms are a fine size for a city. There is free internet use and you can also print anything out you might need, which is an added bonus. The best part of the hotel is definately the roof terrace, it looks out onto the Empire State Building, and is a perfect place to relax and take advantage of the free coffee!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in New York

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Torres9_9,

Thank you for your kind words and genourous title of "Perfect Hotel"! I am thrilled that you enjoyed our hotel and we areforever grateful to you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

I am glad that you were able to take advantage of our gorgeous roof top space and you are correct, it is a great place to relax and the views of the Empire State building are quite breathtaking!

On behalf of the staff and myself, thank you very much!!

Reviewed March 22, 2011

We were first given a small room with an opaque window overlooking noisy mechanical equipement mounted on a nearby low roof. The room was poorly lit as well. At our request, we got another room that was pretty similar to the first one. We asked again and the staff very graciously offered us a choice of three rooms, all of which facing the street rather than the back. They were amongst the three largest rooms they had. So we ended up with a room and bathroom of a fair size that we were happy with. The decor is very nice. The heating system is difficult to control - we ended up opening the window as it was too hot.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family

Dear ajdesor,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on our property. I am glad that we were able to find a room for you that was to your liking. We do offer an array of room types and sizes which gives our guests more economic flexibility.

I am pleased that the staff was accommodating to your needs and I am very thankful for your review.

I hope you think of us the next time you visit NYC!

Reviewed March 20, 2011

we stayed for 5 nights at christmas holidays.its really difficult to found a decent 3* hotel in N.Y.The Marcel was a hotel that respect the customers.very good ,safe location with everything around.The people at reception are very helpful especially Mr. Cris!!!!The small roof garden has a cozy and friendly atmosfere.The rooms are Ok with enough space (for N.Y hotel) with modern decoration.walking distance to Empire state building.For breakfast we prefered the Greek dining at the next corner!!! There is bus stop just outside of hotel & tube station after 2 blocks.GEORGE-GR

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2011

Dear psychoAthens,

Thank you so much for posting a review about your stay at our hotel. It is very much appreciated that you took the time to make mention of one of our employees! We pride ourselves on our staff's ability to make our guests feel at home and we are very grateful that you noticed!

I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy our central and convenient location as well as our fantastic roof top space!

We hope to see you again on your next visit to NYC!

Thank you once again!

Reviewed March 20, 2011

On the corner of Third Avenue and 24th Street, I thought the rooms would be filled with the street noise. Truth is, you can hear the street noise only early in the morning and in the evening (rush hour), but during the night is really ok.
On the other hand, the walls are really thin - you can hear noise from the corridor or the rooms next to yours.
The breakfast wasn't as rich, but I guess you can have as many toast, croissants, bagels as you want. Breakfast wasn't included in our room price, but they still let us have coffee without paying the $12 each time. The breakfast room is on the 10th floor and if you're traveling in summer time, those $12 will worth that view!
The hotel staff are very friendly, ready to give you advice / directions / tips, even come down to the street to flag a taxi for you!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business