“Great hotel, great location!”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East
Ranked #153 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 8, 2014

This was our second stay in 3 months at this location. The first time I booked through an online site and didn't find out hotel name until after I had booked. My stay was perfect, especially after sharing a much smaller room with three others for the first part of my visit, at another hotel. The Courtyard Midtown East was 1/2 as much. The location is good, rooms are spacious and staff is friendly. The second visit was the weekend before Christmas when New York was crazy. We got a 2 room suite that was over 700 square feet. The staff brought extra bedding for the sofa bed, promptly, and although the lobby and accommodations are not 5 star, they are certainly clean, comfortable and nice.

Room Tip: Look for corner rooms and call to make sure you have a sofa bed, if you need one. They are not guar...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Have stayed in New York before so knew where a lot of things where! Ok location! Wouldn't recommend it if you like the main attractions on your doorstep or you are unable to walk long distances! Soundproofing is awful!!!! Could hear everything in both rooms on either sides of us!! Even hear people in the bathroom!! Need the heater on most of the time as we were there during the cold period over Christmas and new year!! Very noisy when above 18 degrees! Single glazed windows so was noisy at times and very cold!!! Ice formed most mornings on the inside of windows even with heater on!! Never use the hotel phone we were charged 100 dollars for 3 phone calls lasting 5 minutes in total for all 3! Manager did refund half the charge as he understood why we so annoyed with the charge and did not know how they could justify this!! A few members of staff need to be reminded they are speaking to paying customers! I was talking to a member of staff at reception when he turned his head away from me and tried to interrupt me!! Rooms where ok not to usual high marriott standards!! Reception area can become crowded at busy times as it's very small!! Cafe if very limited on selection and pricey! Very limited cafés and bars in local area as is more of a residential area!

Very easy check in and check out! They offer a baggage store service! As our flight was at 10pm we used this at busy times bags where left in the reception area as room was very small!! Did not like this idea as anyone could have picked up your bag!!

Wifi was great offered free within the hotel! Rooms were clean and always given fresh towels!!

Could do with a kettle as offered coffee using a small coffee machine but no tea!! We both did not like coffee! Great views on the higher floors!! Very large rooms!!

I would recommend to someone on a short stay wanting something close to major tourist attractions to go closer to middle of manhattan!! As it's a bit of a walk if not and if you want to fit loads in in short space of time closer to main attractions would help!!

Convenient for the airport as can take the M subway train to and from queens and use the airtrain to and from JFK! Cost 7.50 each so cheap and only took about 40mins in total!

Personally would not stay here again and would not stay at a Marriott again either as have been put off!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bex1991
RBishop_DLP, Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Thank you for writing your review. I am aware of your concerns. I am aware that during your stay you spoke to our Manager on Duty to discuss your concerns. Based on your communication with him, he passed this information on to our other managers so your concerns could be addressed.

We do care about our guests satisfaction. I thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. I always accept the positives with the negatives this way we grow and better ourselves from the competition.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Well placed within central New York, being only 10 minutes away from Times Square and Madison Square Garden. I had initially thought it was also close to Central Park, but I'd say it's about a 30 minute walk. Despite this, seeing as New York is so big and it's difficult to be close to everything, it's an excellent base.

My room was simple but clean and the bed was massive and very comfortable. The heating is a little difficult to get right, and tends to blow out cold air a lot of the time.

Using their recommended taxi service it was $80 including tip to JFK airport.

Costing only £89 when booking the same day I thought it was a bargain for what it was.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying at our hotel and writing a review about our hotel. I agree we have so much to offer in this city to find a perfect location close to everything we have to offer is near impossible. Personally I like our location because we are close enough to walk to certain landmarks and if walking is not the option you want we do have a subway station to the left of our main entrance. I can see 30 minutes to central park, but also on the way you have alot to see.

I thank you for taking the time to write your review. Safe travels to you.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

My family really enjoyed our stay at this hotel - close enough to all the attractions but far enough to get some peace and quiet (as much as you can in NYC). The lounge area for guests on level 12 is a spectacular idea - computers, cafe, TVs and couches to lounge around on in the evening was my favourite part of this hotel. Julissa D & Aixa provided great service, the two concierge gentlemen were fabulous too. Would love to go back.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Welcome to the Big Apple, that is New York's Nickname. Thats a long trip from Australia and I am glad that our staff and hotel met your expecations. I will pass on you comments to them. If you do make it back please reach out to me.

Thank you for the review, safe travels.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

The hotel is very well situated, a walking distance to main attractions. One minute close to a subway station. The hotel looks new and the rooms are clean. There is a 24-7 store right next door. However -few things must improve. For instance - The service. We ordered a room for 4 adults yet the room was not equipped - we had to call and ask for more pillows, more blankets, more shampoo and so on.There were 6 elevators but only 3 went higher than the 14 floor. We had to wait more than 5 minutes to the elevator and than decided to walk down the stairs. 10 floors to the dinning room. The water flow in the shower was very weak. There were no shelves to put our staff. The internet was slow.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for writing your review about our property. I am happy that you found the location within walking distance to the NY attractions.

We stock our rooms for the number of beds in the rooms and extra linen provided in the closet, we are pleased to deliver more linen upon request.

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations, if you would like to contact me directly please feel free to reach out to me so we can discuss your particular stay.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

As a regular at full service Marriotts I was a little nervous about staying at a Courtyard but reading the previous reviews and seeing the price I thought it was a good gamble to take. The hotel has everything you need for a short stay in New York. Rooms are large and comfortable and location is perfect with only a short walk to major sites such as 5th Avenue etc. The subway is right on the doorstep and there's plenty of local coffee shops etc. We didn't really have much to do with the staff but where we did they were efficient and welcoming, the ones in the coffee shop on the 12th floor were particularly welcoming. The wi-fi worked fine and rooms were well cleaned. Its difficult to find anything negative to say at all on this hotel - great for a short stay and veey well priced for New York. Well done Courtyard!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing 3rd Avenue, great views of Chrysler Building.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. Maybe we have converted a new Courtyard Guest from Fullservice? Just kidding we have so many different kinds of Marriott Brands I am sure you can find something great at any of our brands. We're proud of our Large Rooms and when I travel the free wi-fi is something I look for. I am glad you liked it and proudly accept the "Well Done Courtyard" Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I checked in and checked out the cleanliness of the room with my Hotel Inspector UV Stain Finder. The room was very clean and passed my inspection. One of the features I love about this hotel is the twelve floor lounge area. It is very roomy comfortable area, perfect to rest, eat a meal or use the computer. Another feature I like about this hotel is the location. It is just a few blocks away from Rockefeller Center. Great clean hotel with a great staff! Hotel Inspector approved!

Room Tip: I like to find out how new the hotel is or how recent is was renovated. This makes a big difference...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

The hotel was renovated beginning January where we renovated every guest room, the hotel lobby, elevators. We added a Market Place, the New Bistro Area. We also created a new fitness area and business center areas. All rooms were completed by June 2013

I am happy that we passed your inspection and met your expectations. Thank you so much for staying with us. Safe travels.