“Great value for money” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #226 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Bad Soden
“Great value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

The hotel nis very centrally located. The rooms are clean and, in our case, the two queen beds were enough for the three of us during our four night stay.

The one drawback was the softness of our beds. Used to sleep in beds with hard mattresses, we ended up with back pains. If you are like us, I suggest you ask for hard mattresses.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
RomanBabek, Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Hello AKGang,

Happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotels great location just near Time Square and a close walk to many other sites. I appologize that the Voss water was not placed into your room prior to arrival. We will make sure that next time you stay with us that all the amenities are full stocked. We look forward to you staying with us again in the near future.

Roman Babek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Bangalore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

This hotel is on 40th st between broadway and 6th ave. Great location. The hotel might be little over priced, though it's just in middle of Manhattan. Most of the Manhattan attractions are in walking distance. Rooms are bit small, but OK. Challenge - they have one restaurant, but looks more like Pub and again no drinking water in the room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear NIonadi,

Thank you for your kind review for potential visitors. Our newly renovated lobby is a great place to enjoy breakfast, and hanging out with business partners. Having Starbucks in the hotel is such a nice convenience for guests. We look forward to you staying with us again.

Elizabeth, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is on 40th st between broadway and 6th ave. Great location, 2 blocks to times sq. this hotel must have been recently updated as the rooms were well maintained and all the furnishings were in excellent condition. It is manhattan so the rooms are small but we did not have issues because of large desk area and bench. Lobby is in great sharp with Starbucks. Also many sitting areas in lobby for meeting people. Fitness area is small but has all the required equipment. I would stay there again on my next trip.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
RomanBabek, Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Nlonadi

Thank you for your kind review! I'm glad we met all your needs during your stay. Adding Starbucks coffee in our lounge is a plus and we also offer complimentary WIFI in the lobby. We look forward to your next stay.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

We came up to NYC for the High School National Championship Track & Field Meet and needed a place to stay that would give us a restful night sleep. That did not happen. First the good. The room was clean, reasonable quiet, and well appointed. The location was exceptional as well.

Now the bad. This is an outdated hotel that doesn't even have basic thermostat capabilities in the room, so I spent the night sweating, tossing and turning, and repeatedly turning down the thermostat to no avail as all that does is turn on a fan. So after a sleepless night we went on to the meet to make the best of it.

I did ask the front desk for help and they just shrugged their shoulders and said there wasn't anything they could do about it. That the system was either on heat (for the whole hotel) or cool for the whole hotel, and they couldn't do anything about it. Other hotels have window units to control temperature in each room.

I will not stay here again. It was awful.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel, with amenities from this century.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jim K
Dear PVCoach

Thank you for giving us a chance to accomodate your needs. We strive for your best overall satisfaction. Unfortunately we came up short this time by not providing the proper room temperature. I can assure you that our team will be looking into this. The hotel has been renovated two yars ago and we are very proud of our product. I can only ask you to give us another chance to show you the true caliber of the Courtyard service. Please contact me directly if you have any questions.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights in early March,great location with subway 2 seconds away,alternatively penn station is only a 10 minute walk away. Had a king size room which was great (never understand people's comments about small rooms,it was perfectly big for me,a bed,chair,massive tv,desk and plenty of hanging space and shelves). The bathroom was very clean and always hot water,complimentary shampoo,etc and cleaned every day. The coffee machine was a nice touch. Didn't use the bar apart from sitting in the lounge for 10 minutes before leaving..it was actually very comfortable and lots of tv's to watch.

Would definitely use again and recommend to friends,reasonably priced especially considering the central location. I was on my own and felt fine coming back to the hotel and the surrounding area late at night.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Iloveholidays 1982
Thank you for taking the time and review our hotel. I'm glad everything worked out for you and we'll be delighted to have you back in the near future. We just opened our new lounge (Nosh) and I'm glad you got to see it. We offer complimentary Wi-Fi in the lounge for our guest along with great variety of hors d’oeuvres, beer and wine. See you soon!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel has a friendly staff, good and clean rooms even though it is an old building the room was very clean and updated. The location is good. Walking distance from time square and 5th avenue with restaurants for breakfast close by and you have a choice of having breakfast at the hotel...it is expensive but its not bad at all.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ana D
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. I'm looking forward to your next visit. If there is anything my team and I can assist you with, please contact us directly.

Galway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Pros:
Location is fantastic, so centrally located
Hotel is beside a Duane Reade - very handy
Starbucks in hotel is a lovely chilled out area
Good security - entrance door closed after a certain time, room key needed to enter. Room key also needed in lift to access floors where rooms located

Lobby - clean and welcoming
Room - very clean, comfortable, great power in the water pressure in shower. The room was small but it served it's purpose and the beds were very comfortable. We had a view of the Empire State building which was a lovely bonus.
Lifts - slow but wasn't an issue on a relaxing break

I don't have any cons regarding this hotel, bar one which is staff related.
The staff encountered at the front desk, the concierge, the ladies cleaning the rooms - each of these were fantastic. Miguel on Check in was so welcoming and helpful with any queries we had.
On leaving the hotel my group and I collected our baggage which had been stored in the hotel for the day. The staff member that was present was called Bryan. We had enquiried earlier from another member of staff if we could prebook a taxi but he had advised we'd have to hail one. No problem, we left ourselves plenty of time to do this.

Bryan came to the front door of the hotel and said he would hail a taxi for us. I said it wasn't necessary, we'd organise ourselves, but he said to leave it to him. Two taxis pulled up and drove away, we were told that they had refused to do an airport run. Then Bryan said that his friend, who was waiting nearby in a black car, would bring us for 75 dollars. I said that would not be necessary, it was an extortionate rate for the journey and that I did not want to travel in a car that didn't appear to be licenced for taxi use. I said that we were fine, we'd organise our own taxi as at this stage he was a hindrance rather than a help. He did not leave, rather he got annoyed at me as I walked along the kerb looking to see if a taxi was coming. He wanted me to wait back at the hotel in case I got hit. Thanks Bryan, but I've managed previous trips to NYC without you and I am fully capable of hailing a cab, so your concern is totally misplaced and unwanted. His attitude towards me was arrogant and condescending. This man was only 26 by the way, I heard him telling other staff members that it was his 26th birthday on this particular day.

As time pushed on, Bryan started saying we would not get a taxi but his friend works in a car hire firm that this hotel EXCLUSIVELY uses.... funny that, seeing as we were told earlier there isn't any way taxis can be prebooked. The cost for his friend to send a car to bring us now was 100 dollars. To get rid of him we said okay, go inside & call him. He was gone mere seconds when we hailed our own taxi who said an airport run was no problem. We packed in the bags and one of our group went inside to tell Bryan we were sorted. He wasn't too happy but that's life.

So sorry for the essay, but what was otherwise a perfect hotel base for our holiday was soured by this exchange when leaving. I hope that the hotel reads this and can reply whether their contract with a car firm exists or was, as I suspect, a bit of commission on the side for their employee.

Room Tip: Ask for Empire State view rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jeanbops
Jessenia R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Jeanbops:

Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed our facility and the accomodations we offer including our Nosh that has starbuck's available on property.

I am also very happy to hear many of our associates including some that you named like MIguel Housekeeping staff and concierge meet all your needs. Your positive feedback has been shared with the staff members. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you had to experience at our hotel, With our bellman Brian, This sort of behavior is not acceptable your comments have been shared with the appropriate staff member and corrective action has been taken . It is these comments that enable us to provide the best possible service to our guests, and which also point-out areas of weakness that need our attention.

We at the Courtyard pride ourselves in providing an unparalleled level of service, the same level that classifies Marriott as the leader in hospitality Worldwide. Anything falling short of that is not the type of service we strive for.

Thank you for giving us this opportunity to address your concerns. I thank you for your continued loyalty to Marriott. I hope we will have the opportunity to serve once again in the near future.

Best Regards,