“Great hotel!”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square
Ranked #229 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in early March,great location with subway 2 seconds away,alternatively penn station is only a 10 minute walk away. Had a king size room which was great (never understand people's comments about small rooms,it was perfectly big for me,a bed,chair,massive tv,desk and plenty of hanging space and shelves). The bathroom was very clean and always hot water,complimentary shampoo,etc and cleaned every day. The coffee machine was a nice touch. Didn't use the bar apart from sitting in the lounge for 10 minutes before leaving..it was actually very comfortable and lots of tv's to watch.

Would definitely use again and recommend to friends,reasonably priced especially considering the central location. I was on my own and felt fine coming back to the hotel and the surrounding area late at night.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
RomanBabek, Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Iloveholidays 1982
Thank you for taking the time and review our hotel. I'm glad everything worked out for you and we'll be delighted to have you back in the near future. We just opened our new lounge (Nosh) and I'm glad you got to see it. We offer complimentary Wi-Fi in the lounge for our guest along with great variety of hors d’oeuvres, beer and wine. See you soon!

Roman Babek

There are newer reviews for Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel has a friendly staff, good and clean rooms even though it is an old building the room was very clean and updated. The location is good. Walking distance from time square and 5th avenue with restaurants for breakfast close by and you have a choice of having breakfast at the hotel...it is expensive but its not bad at all.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Ana D
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. I'm looking forward to your next visit. If there is anything my team and I can assist you with, please contact us directly.

Regards,
Roman Babek

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Pros:
Location is fantastic, so centrally located
Hotel is beside a Duane Reade - very handy
Starbucks in hotel is a lovely chilled out area
Good security - entrance door closed after a certain time, room key needed to enter. Room key also needed in lift to access floors where rooms located

Lobby - clean and welcoming
Room - very clean, comfortable, great power in the water pressure in shower. The room was small but it served it's purpose and the beds were very comfortable. We had a view of the Empire State building which was a lovely bonus.
Lifts - slow but wasn't an issue on a relaxing break

I don't have any cons regarding this hotel, bar one which is staff related.
The staff encountered at the front desk, the concierge, the ladies cleaning the rooms - each of these were fantastic. Miguel on Check in was so welcoming and helpful with any queries we had.
On leaving the hotel my group and I collected our baggage which had been stored in the hotel for the day. The staff member that was present was called Bryan. We had enquiried earlier from another member of staff if we could prebook a taxi but he had advised we'd have to hail one. No problem, we left ourselves plenty of time to do this.

Bryan came to the front door of the hotel and said he would hail a taxi for us. I said it wasn't necessary, we'd organise ourselves, but he said to leave it to him. Two taxis pulled up and drove away, we were told that they had refused to do an airport run. Then Bryan said that his friend, who was waiting nearby in a black car, would bring us for 75 dollars. I said that would not be necessary, it was an extortionate rate for the journey and that I did not want to travel in a car that didn't appear to be licenced for taxi use. I said that we were fine, we'd organise our own taxi as at this stage he was a hindrance rather than a help. He did not leave, rather he got annoyed at me as I walked along the kerb looking to see if a taxi was coming. He wanted me to wait back at the hotel in case I got hit. Thanks Bryan, but I've managed previous trips to NYC without you and I am fully capable of hailing a cab, so your concern is totally misplaced and unwanted. His attitude towards me was arrogant and condescending. This man was only 26 by the way, I heard him telling other staff members that it was his 26th birthday on this particular day.

As time pushed on, Bryan started saying we would not get a taxi but his friend works in a car hire firm that this hotel EXCLUSIVELY uses.... funny that, seeing as we were told earlier there isn't any way taxis can be prebooked. The cost for his friend to send a car to bring us now was 100 dollars. To get rid of him we said okay, go inside & call him. He was gone mere seconds when we hailed our own taxi who said an airport run was no problem. We packed in the bags and one of our group went inside to tell Bryan we were sorted. He wasn't too happy but that's life.

So sorry for the essay, but what was otherwise a perfect hotel base for our holiday was soured by this exchange when leaving. I hope that the hotel reads this and can reply whether their contract with a car firm exists or was, as I suspect, a bit of commission on the side for their employee.

Room Tip: Ask for Empire State view rooms
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank jeanbops
Jessenia R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Jeanbops:

Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed our facility and the accomodations we offer including our Nosh that has starbuck's available on property.

I am also very happy to hear many of our associates including some that you named like MIguel Housekeeping staff and concierge meet all your needs. Your positive feedback has been shared with the staff members. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you had to experience at our hotel, With our bellman Brian, This sort of behavior is not acceptable your comments have been shared with the appropriate staff member and corrective action has been taken . It is these comments that enable us to provide the best possible service to our guests, and which also point-out areas of weakness that need our attention.

We at the Courtyard pride ourselves in providing an unparalleled level of service, the same level that classifies Marriott as the leader in hospitality Worldwide. Anything falling short of that is not the type of service we strive for.

Thank you for giving us this opportunity to address your concerns. I thank you for your continued loyalty to Marriott. I hope we will have the opportunity to serve once again in the near future.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We spend such a good time in NY, the hotel was outstanding so was the staff. Cannot go wrong with the value of the hotel and its lovely posh location. The room was clean and meet our expectations and also the bed was very comfy. Will definitely come back

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear LOndOnlad7

Thank very much for all your great comments. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our hotel. We hope to see you at our facility in the upcoming future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 6, 2013

This hotel is one block away from times square. It has a beautiful decor, and the rooms are very clean. The staff is friendly and the beds are very comfortable.
Subway access is very close. This is a safe neighborhood, so it is great for families. You can not go wrong with the value of this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Jessenia R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear SD

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We are very close to everything Theathers, Restaurants Attractions we are very central and I am glad you enjoyed. We hope to serve you again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 4, 2013

This NYC Marriott is in a great location - between 6th Ave and Broadway and near Bryant Park. Easy access to bus, taxi, and subway besides good location for walking. The hotel staff was very accomodating and the room was immaculate. You can tell that this hotel is rather new and is very tastefully decorated. We were on the 21st floor and it was very quiet - and the elevators, for the most part, arrived within just a couple of minutes (except when we were departing on Sunday morning and had to wait 10 minutes). There is an attractive lounge area on the main floor and a restaurant, NOSH, attached, too. Very convenient - especially for Starbucks coffee in the morning, although there is a Keurig coffee maker in the room. The value was very good, for NYC, and we definitely will stay there again!

Room Tip: Our 21st floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Phyllis8115

Thank you for informing future guest of your experience at our hotel. I am very happy to hear that our staff went above and beyond. Also that you enjoyed Nosh where you were able to enjoy Starbucks. We are looking forward to your upcoming stays with us.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Rooms are really small, which for New York seems to be the standard. The only thing I really truly liked about this hotel was the shower. I know that seems weird, but hotel showers are hit or miss on water pressure, cleanliness, etc., but this Courtyard had a good one! The rooms are clean, but I would expect that for a Courtyard. I am giving it 3 stars because everything was as I would expect it. Nothing jumped out at me that would make it a great or amazing hotel, and nothing jumped out at me that would make me never stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Autiger3313

Thank you for your comments in regards to your recent stay. I am Sorry about our room size next time you are in town feel free to call us in advance if we have a suite available we wold be more than happy to accomodate you. We hope to serve you again in the near future.