“Couldn't Have Asked For More... Well, Not Much, Anyway...”
Review of Da Vinci Hotel

Da Vinci Hotel
Ranked #381 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This was a great little hotel located less than a 5 minute walk from either Central Park or Times Square. Subway access was within the same distance.

I stayed here for 4 nights in March and enjoyed it very much. The room wasn't huge but it was big enough for me. I have stayed in smaller. The room was clean, with the exception of the carpet. The carpet could have used a little attention. The private, en-suite, bathroom was very nice and the shower was fine. No issues with pressure or water temp. The bed was very comfortable and I slept extremely well each night after long, busy days of sight seeing. As well, my room was very quiet.

The in room wi-fi access could be spotty depending on the time of day, but it served my needs just fine when checking email and planning my days. TV stations were limited, but who's in NYC to watch TV anyway.

There was a nice offering of coffee and rolls in the lobby each morning. I wouldn't call it a continental breakfast but It was good enough to start the day with. My only wish for this area would have been a coffee maker in the room. Joe G's restaurant is located in the basement and is open for lunch and dinner. It wasn't great, but it was pretty good and they did offer a 15% discount to hotel guests. Do note, as well, that there is an unlimited choice of dining options within a quick walk form this hotel.

The staff was by no means doting, however, when I needed advice or assistance they were more than willing to help. With their help and directions I was easily able to take the subway to JFK for my departure flight. That was a huge savings compared to a Taxi or shuttle service.

I like this place a lot and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank DonRoute66

Reviewed March 19, 2013

My son and I were in NYC for the Big East Basketball Tournament. I booked the hotel in February based on price. I found the Hotel to be in a GREAT location, mere steps from Columbus Circle and Central Park and also Times square. The Hotel is Small and very quaint. My room was on the 3rd floor facing the street. It was very nice with a Brick Fireplace(non-functional). There was only one Queen bed in the room, but roll away was available for a $30 per day up charge. Bathroom was small with a corner shower, but clean and Modern. I would have liked a little counter space in the bath for toiletries. I found the price <$200/nite for 3 nites to be very acceptable. The staff was very nice and made us feel welcome. I hope that I can visit again in the future.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank fred2312
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Da Vinci Hotel is very charming and conveniently located near Central Park and other New York attractions. The rooms are fairly quiet, although you can hear people talking in the hallway at times. While they look dated, the rooms are very clean, comfortable and fairly spacious. The front desk staff were welcoming and helpful throughout our stay and they allow late check-ins. Overall, I found it to be a very cosy and pleasant place to stay at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hera W
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a good location, short walk to time square, room was better than I was expecting, was clean warm and comfortable, shower was good too, Internet not the best at times, we had a ground floor room which got noisy at times

• Stayed: March 2013
6  Thank shellly22
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed overnight at the hotel. Reception wouldn't even take my name and reservation when I got in early. Said just leave your bags in the lobby. Stayed in room 402. The heat was non stop. room went up into the 80's. called at 1Am. told ME to make adjustments to the radiator or open the windows. Noise level from banging pipes was bad. I cranked up the AC to 68 degrees. Management made no apology when I checked out. I stayed here several times and it was fine. wonder if it is under new owners. so stay in warm weather and avoid the winter on the fourth floor.

Room Tip: rooms in the front of the building have a lot of street noise. windows are not sound deadening. no...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank guncle08210
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Recently stayed at the Da Vinci hotel on 56th street in Manhattan (between 8th and Broadway) for three nights. The hotel is very small, but is well cared for. The front desk staff is friendly and efficient.
The location of the hotel is amazing for the price. It is located about a 5 minute walk from the center of Times Square, is two blocks from Columbus Circle and Central Park and one block from Carnegie Hall. Subway access to almost all lines is very close. It has an italian restuarant in the basement (didn't try it), but is also surrounded by food establishments (Lenny's - around the corner on 8th is excellent for breakfast and a cuban restaurant - Guantanamera - is great for dinner). The rooms are typically small as in most older New York hotels, but are very clan and comforable.

Now for the "Except..." The shower. The first day we had to let the water run for about 20-25 minutes to get anything more than lukewarm water (once it gets hot it is very hot). After that day, it was somewhat of a crapshoot. The water tempurature varied erratically - sometimes within just a couple of minutes. It never went straight cold, but just varied between lukewarm and too hot.

Without the shower problem, I would have given this hotel a 5 - given the location and the reasonable price.

Room Tip: Watch out for the shower in room 206.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Beagleman99
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed here with my husband February 6th - 10th 2013. The location is great, walking distance to Central Park and the Theater District. One block away from the subway station. 24hr McDonald's next door.

Cute lobby, check-in was a breeze. We were on the 4th floor, room 401. The room is basic so don' t expect upscale decor. The safe in the closet is wide enough for laptops, we had our iPad in there and there was still plenty of room. The bathroom is nice and clean. We never had any problems with the hot water or the television.

My only negatives were the following:
The mattress in my room was way too soft like a marshmallow. I woke up with back pains which I never had before. Also, there's some noise from the outside so bring earplugs if this bothers you.

For the price I paid, ($93/night), and the convenient location, I can't complain. We had an awesome time on this trip.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple