“Brilliant. Fantastic location”
Review of Da Vinci Hotel

Da Vinci Hotel
Ranked #370 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed for 7 nights at the beginning of January (2013) and wasn't expecting anything amazing from a 2* hotel (and the price I paid) but everything was brilliant.

Location: Couldn't have asked for better. A block or two away from Central Park, 7ish minute walk from Times Square, loads of subway stations < 5 minute walk. SO many coffee/cafe shops and restaurants, plus a 24 hour McDonald's right next door. Wasn't too far from JFK airport either (I got the subway/air train and only took me 45ish minutes altogether).

Staff: Friendly and helpful. Didn't actually need them for anything other than checking in and out but I saw them helping other people out several times.

Housekeeping: Friendly and flexible. There were several days when I was still in my room when they arrived (first few days it was 10am and then after that around 4:30pm for whatever reason) and the woman always said it wasn't a problem and she'd come back later (which she did). I also declined them on the first day (so jet-lagged) and she still gave me extra towels just in case.

Room: Fine overall. I didn't think my room was /that/ small to be fair. It was a decent size for myself on my own anyway and I had room to move around (especially with a giant suitcase).
TV worked fine, got full (free) wifi signal (such a bonus), phone worked (although I didn't try ringing anybody). Wardrobe was a tiny bit small for hanging long things like dresses but you got two drawers so I did have enough space. I didn't have a view of anything (the window was frosted glass) but I looked out of the stairwell window next-door to me and had the view of a brick wall and could just see the Hearst Building. I didn't come for the hotel views though.

The shower was fine but slightly temperamental about what temperature it wanted to be. I spent a good 5 minutes trying to get it off freezing cold and then boiling hot (but it was fine once I'd adjusted it) one day and then another day it went from hot to warm and back again several times. Other than that it was okay.

I have to admit that the bed was my worst nightmare. Don't get me wrong, it was clean, extremely comfy, and I'm sure it was bigger than a Queen size bed but the mattress is the softest thing ever. I have a bad back so sleeping on it was really bad some nights (especially if your muscles are already killing from walking around all day). I had to get up in the night at one point and lie on the hard floor for an hour because it was hurting. I did slightly adjust to it at the end of my week but it still hurt. I loved lying in it to watch TV and stuff because it was so comfy but not for sleeping I'm afraid.

Some cons:
The air-con (which I didn't actually have on) was noisy at some points, especially in the early hours of the morning when it would come back on (even though it was off?) and make a bit of a noise. It was also quite noisy in the evening.

The smoke detector has two red blinking lights on it which blink every 5 seconds or so. Didn't notice it in the day but at night it drove me crazy! I hate things like that (I don't know why) and I bet nobody else had noticed it but I had to block it out by having the duvet over my head (which I do anyway so wasn't really an inconvenience)

Finally, I did experience noise during the last few nights of my stay. I was on the third floor right by the stairwell (which is right over reception). I'm not sure if people had just arrived or were just getting in but there was REALLY loud door banging (made my room shake) at 3am on one night which happened several times during that night. Another night there was also loud talking below me and again door banging (just not as bad). Couldn't tell if it was from above or below.

There was also a pigeon which had made it's home outside of my window so for about 4 mornings at 8am I was woken up by it cooing, flapping it's wings around, and banging (lightly) on the window. It was actually quite amusing.

I was woken up by loads of fire engines going past one morning (other than that you couldn't hear the traffic apart from a few police cars and cars beeping every now and then) but I found out on the news that evening there had been a really bad fire a few blocks away so I'll let them off.

Overall, amazing location, brilliant hotel, would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank emaw_91
There are newer reviews for Da Vinci Hotel

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Fantastic value for the price. Nice, clean room, very nice bathroom, also closet and fridge. Small room, but fine for the little time you spend there. Bed was exceptional-best mattress I've ever slept on.Room was a bit warm, and were told we cannot control the heat,but we opened the window a few times for air-scared some pidgeons off the windowsill! Simple free breakfast of coffee and pastry was not much. Also good to point out as other review says, easy to miss the hotel because of small sign, look for Joe G.'s restaurant sign - also they give you 15% off your bill at the rest.if you are staying at the Davinci. Will definately stay there again when in NYC.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LoriMilwaukee
Reviewed January 10, 2013

At the end of November 2012 I took my partner to New York. Having been myself I remembered what to expect from 'cheaper' New York hotels. Booked through Lastminute.com, checked hotel reviews on Trip Advisor all seemed good.
When arriving at the hotel it seemed a bit longer than a 15 minute walk to Times Square, but once getting our bearings though (by always turning right out of the hotel), past Hooters we were at Times Square, 7 minute walk MAX!! Perfect..!!
Back to the hotel, when we reached the hotel it looks very small, but don't be put off, very friendly hotel staff and quaint reception. Boutique style hotel, which was nice.
Once we got to our room I felt a little upset by our room, but once settled, unpacked bags etc. I realised actually this hotel was fantastic. Clean? Extremely! Hot water? Yup! Hangers (don't want to waste baggage allowance)? Yup! TV (to keep up to date with news etc.)? Yup! Everything else, including a comfortable bed was a bonus! Chuffed...
When booking the hotel we knew 80% of 'cheaper' hotels in NYC never include breakfast, much to our surprise the hotel included coffee/tea and light refreshments (muffins, bread rolls, croissants etc.) between 7am and 10am as part of your stay. Perfect again, grab a coffee and a bite to eat and we were off every morning!
Being a boutique hotel means hardly any of the rooms had a view from the windows. The side rooms (like ours) had a window with a view of the building beside us - but hey we weren't there to look at views through our hotel window!!
Hotel's location was great, as said above 7min walk to Times Square. Straight down 56th to Fifth Avenue or to Bloomingdales probably roughly about 20 minutes. Walk to Macys 10-15mins. Central park (already on top of it) about 10 minute walk too.
Lots of coffee shops around us (but what street corner in NYC doesn't have a coffee shop?!). Next to the hotel was a small restaurant where we found out a lot of celebrities visit - lovely food too!!
My summary to anyone looking at this hotel would be, if you want a base location, close to everything but not on the doorstep of the flashing lights of Times Square, with hot water which is kept to a clean standard then this hotel is perfect..!!
Going on a 30th birthday trip to NYC in November 2013 and have already booked this hotel again!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CityTraveller29
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This place is far from extravagant, but is a fine hotel for busy visitors who don't plan on spending a lot of time in their room. The rooms are relatively small, with equally small TVs, but it was SHOCKINGLY cheap for a peak travel-month's stay. A free breakfast of coffee and fresh-delivered bagels/croissants is offered daily, along with free WiFi and two computers in the lobby. It is just blocks from Central Park, Broadway and many of the major attractions of the city, not to mention the many great eateries just steps out the front door.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mehands
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The first thing I have to say is that, if you are not careful, you will have trouble finding the hotel. The only marking is a small oval with its name below the Joe G's restaurant sign. The restaurant is below the hotel and they are affiliated.

First, this is a good basic hotel. The rooms are not large. I would guess at around 200 sq. ft. As long as you don't plan on spending a lot of time in the room (TV reception was poor and choices were very limited), it will work. The rooms are clean and the bathrooms appear to have been renovated (new sink, toilet, tiles). The queen beds are fairly comfortable but the pillows can be a bit hard. Be advised that they do not make up the rooms until late in the afternoon, which we found out after returning at 4:00 PM and the room was not made up. Since we had not made a mess, we put out the "Do Not Disturb" sign and they slipped a note under the door stating that they did not make the room because of the sign. As we left the second day, we told the desk to have out room cleaned early and they did.

The rooms have a queen sized bed, a bedside table on either side, a narrow desk, two chairs (our friends only had one), and an armoire, which housed an area for hanging clothes with a lockbox in it, two drawers, and a fridge (which, in our room, did not work). The hanger area in the armoire was barely tall enough to hang a man's shirt in the area to the side of the lockbox, but was generally too short to allow for clothing to hang properly. Each bedside table contained two large drawers. We had a different problem from an earlier review in that we had too much heat. There is no thermostat and the room heat is provided by a radiator, which was impossible to regulate. We could control the room temp somewhat by running the AC. The location was good for access to Central Park, Carnegie Hall, and locations in Midtown North. It was a bit of a walk to the Times Square area (i.e. 56th to 42nd streets) but, in general, it was well located.

Bottom line, our friends and we would stay again, if the price was right. Good, clean, basic accommodations with a friendly staff. The big plus for the hotel was Joe G's restaurant downstairs. The food and the atmosphere were great and you got a 15% discount if you were staying at the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank Fred E
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed in the hotel Tue t Thr ad a great time hotel is lovely and staff are friendly
In a great spot just of time square an Central Park
Getting t sleep can b quite hard as the windows let in a lot of noise from outside but then it is NY city
Had food in the bar was good
Indian next door is perfect food was great

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank T Marie D
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We booked this hotel based on Trip Advisor comments. We wanted a budget hotel in the centre of New York and this one was superb. There are comments around small rooms from others but for what we wante it was perfect. The room was clean and there was a good shower which is a blessing after a long day walking round. There is a safe in the room and pleanty of storage space. The staff were helpful and polite. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from both Central Park and Times Square and the street it is in fealt safe. If you want a base to sleep when you are done shopping or sightseeing you could not find better at this price.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple