“Mediocre hotel”

Ranked #358 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Portland, Oregon
“Mediocre hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Positives: Great location, cute hotel lobby, price (we paid $207/night plus tax), refrigerator in room, remodeled bathroom, Italian restaurant/bar in basement.
Negatives: Tired, dark, dingy hallways and rooms. This place has potential to be a really great boutique hotel. It just needs some TLC. Avoid the room at the end of the hallway on the 3rd floor. The smell in the hallway leading to the room is almost unbearable--cigarette smell mixed with Pine sol. You get the idea. I had one cold shower and we never did get the TV remote working.

This hotel did offer a few basic muffins and coffee for breakfast which was nice but nothing to rave about.

If you're looking for a place in a great location for a reasonable price in NY city, you may want to consider this hotel. But, don't have any expectations for anything nice. Very basic accommodations.

Room Tip: Avoid the room at the end of the hallway on the 3rd floor. Also, bring ear plugs. Windows don'...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gsculp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Maroochydore, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

When we first walked into the hotel it was well presented. We had just arrived in New York straight from the airport and we got to the hotel before our check in time. The lady behind the desk said come back in a hour and it will be ready. So we did and it was.

When we went to our room the first thing we could smell was cigarette smoke. Next to our door was this skinny white one which we assumed was one of the house keepers or something so we just assumed it was coming from there as the hotel is non smoking?

The rooms were not bad. Very comfortable beds and a good size for New York. They even had a little fridge which was great so we could have some cold water.

The TV would only work for about 30 mins before it went black. Not sure why, but that wasn't such a big deal because we would only use it at night.

It was also in a good location, Central Park is only 2 blocks away.

Nice and simple hotel

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Riley Emily T
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

The old adage "You get what you pay for" applies here. As far as price for the location, you can't beat it. I honestly went in knowing it wouldn't be plush and didn't really need it. We stayed her 4 nights, and 2 of the nights, the temps reached freezing and we had NO HEAT in the room. We spoke with the front desk about 6 times during those 2 days, and each time, they said it was on a cycle and would kick on, but didn't, and hadn't. During the last cold night, the housekeeping brought us oil heaters, which worked fine, and sometime that night the "heater" (radiator heat) kicked on and "hissed" periodically. I honestly don't know if it was their radiation system working or the heaters we received, but we finally had heat. The customer service was great (for as little as we asked them for), but after we complained about heat (very nicely), we received dirty looks, and they seemed more interested in surfing the net than greeting any of their guests. The bathrooms were good, just no water pressure, but I was thankful for hot water. The room itself was very spacious for what I was expecting. Like I said, you get what you pay for, I mainly wanted a WARM room to go to and a bed and toilet. So I got 2 out of 3. I'd stay there again, but with the knowledge that there may not be heat. (bring long pajamas) PS: I asked to have the manager call me, and not to my surprise, she still hasn't called. I believe a small credit would not be too much to ask for with no heat for 3 days in freezing temps outside.

Room Tip: The old adage "You get what you pay for" applies here. As far as price for the location, y...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank moobratts
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

This was our base whilst we spent a week in New York. The location is great with a number of sights within walking distance, most notably Central Park. Breakfast was basic, but just what we needed for being on the go every morning. It's a shame that the reception staff appear to be hidden by a large desk as it creates a barrier with the guest, and perhaps does not give off the warm first impression that it could.

1 Thank ALLMH
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

*** If you are lucky enough to stay in Room 302, Da Vinci Hotel New York, we have hidden .74c in pennies in the room. If you find them, you can keep them! GOOD LUCK! ***

I researched hotels in New York for about 2 weeks leading up to book...
For what I wanted to spend, I was either looking at something a little better then a Hostel, then the prices seemed to jump dramatically to Hotel prices.

I some how stubbled across this place and read many of the reviews. After staying there, I understand what the negatives are saying, but I also wonder what they were expected!!!

This hotel does not have a massive star rating, but that should not affect your decision.
New York Hotel rooms are going to be small, end of story! For what you pay here, the rooms are a decent size! What do you need the extra space for anyway? The hotel was a place to sleep and shower, thats pretty much it.

The desk is attended 24/7, and the staff were lovely! I asked them for directions/advice a couple of times, and they were more then friendly!!!

FYI, you pay for the hotel on arrive. I knew this, and it was no big deal.

Wifi is included.

Breakfast is available from 7am(?) till 10pm. But you wanna get down there before 9 to get the good stuff.
Breakfast isn't anything special, but its more then you get at any other hotel without paying! Its simple, there are croissants, small muffins, and rolls. (No toaster). Spreads: Butter and jams.
Also a kettle for Tea, and a coffee machine (possibly instant coffee).
I got in a routine in the morning of getting up about 7:30-8, walking to Starbucks 1 block away, and grabbing a croissant for me, and a muffin for my girl, and taking it back to our room for her breakfast in bed haha.

Our room:
We arrived about 2am in the morning, and lucked out and scored room 302 (bad room reviews from previous reviews).
This room faces the street (that you enter off) and is 2 levels up. So there is a bit of traffic noise, dump trucks etc at night, and 1 of the nights there were road works outside all night.
We use to live on a main road back home, so we were able to deal with the 'city noise'... But I can understand how others would be annoyed. If so, you are probably better off with a room with no view. (Who looks out the windows anyway?!)

Also room 302 has a resident next door. Kind of a strange situation. I asked about this, and apparently 'he came with the hotel'. He doesnt make noise, and I assume is respectful to guests, but seems to be home all day, and smokes like a chimney. Thus the hall way does smell of smoke as soon as you step out the lift.

Bed was ok, nothing amazing... I have to agree with previous people, the pillow were horrible. Rather thin and hard. 1 pillow wasn't enough, 2 was too much. And they were very stiff...

Air Con worked fine when required.
Bathroom was clean, shower was good, and soaps etc nice.

House keeping does come very late some days. Shouldnt be an issue, unless you are hanging around in your room all day. They have a little envelope for tips. We just put $2 in there each day, better then nothing :)

*** Best parts ***
*Hotel is in an AMAZING location!!!
Work to times square in 10mins! Rockefeller in 10mins! Central Park in 5 mins! BEST LOCATION TO SEE THE CITY! We only caught a cab once, because it was raining!
*Great Price!
*No bed bugs!
*Clean and friendly!
*Wifi! (And share computers down stairs)
*Breakfast!

Room Tip: Room 302 is noisy.
13 Thank Solecollectorau
Ventura, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

We were here for 6 days in Sept 12. First off this place IS in a fantastic location and the lobby staff (Anna, Anahita) were very helpful with all of our questions. Our room was on the 5th floor right outside of the elevator which made it quite small (8X8 maybe) but it did have a very comfortable queen bed. It had a very small closet but did handle our clothing, and a nice clean tiled bathroom. The A/C is set at 73 degrees and only has an on/off switch. The TV has 10 or 12 channels that are very snowy but you dont go to NY to watch TV. There is a small refrigerator in the little hutch and the room was very clean. The view was of the rooftops around us (no view) but the other rooms could be different. I did get to see in room 101 and it was much larger than ours but on the first floor by the lobby door. What I did not like was that the room was cleaned daily between 4 and 6. It is worth the money in my opinion but I will ask for a different room next time. Joe G restaurant downstairs has excellent food and a very nice Bar. Perfect location to visit NYC if there is only 2 people in the room.

2 Thank Michael R
Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel was in a great location, it really could not have been better. The front desk staff were very nice and helpful. It was handy that there was a free continental breakfast in the mornings. The room was ok, what you would expect for a 2-3 star in north america. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. The maid service was not great. We stayed 4 nights and twice we had to ask for our room to be cleaned.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends