“Very Nice”

Ranked #367 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Ventura, California
“Very Nice”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We were here for 6 days in Sept 12. First off this place IS in a fantastic location and the lobby staff (Anna, Anahita) were very helpful with all of our questions. Our room was on the 5th floor right outside of the elevator which made it quite small (8X8 maybe) but it did have a very comfortable queen bed. It had a very small closet but did handle our clothing, and a nice clean tiled bathroom. The A/C is set at 73 degrees and only has an on/off switch. The TV has 10 or 12 channels that are very snowy but you dont go to NY to watch TV. There is a small refrigerator in the little hutch and the room was very clean. The view was of the rooftops around us (no view) but the other rooms could be different. I did get to see in room 101 and it was much larger than ours but on the first floor by the lobby door. What I did not like was that the room was cleaned daily between 4 and 6. It is worth the money in my opinion but I will ask for a different room next time. Joe G restaurant downstairs has excellent food and a very nice Bar. Perfect location to visit NYC if there is only 2 people in the room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michael R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel was in a great location, it really could not have been better. The front desk staff were very nice and helpful. It was handy that there was a free continental breakfast in the mornings. The room was ok, what you would expect for a 2-3 star in north america. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. The maid service was not great. We stayed 4 nights and twice we had to ask for our room to be cleaned.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ashley B
Donegal
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My friend and I stayed in this Hotel for 3 nights in August. The price we got online when booking in March was absolutely fabulous. We were extremely surprised at how close the Hotel was to everything, only 10 min walk from Times Square and Broadway and 5 min walk from Central Park. It made it so easy to get about NYC and see all that we wanted to see. We were also delightfully surprised at how good the Hotel was, the room was gorgeous, lots of space in the room with a lovely soft, comfy double bed and a really nice and extremely clean bathroom. The Hotel staff were fantastic and any questions you had they were more than happy to assist. There are also two computers in reception for guests to use for free, which proved so beneficial to us to save money on booking things to do in NYC. The breakfast was basic, but exactly what was advised during booking and if your looking for a more substantial breakfast, your in NYC, there's lots of places just out the door. We arrived early on our first day but our room was ready in 20 minutes so we treated ourselves to lunch downstairs in Joe's restaurant which was also fab, great pizza! I would definitely recommend this Hotel 150% and when I go back to NYC, in hopefully the not to distant future I will be trying to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank LindaMcColgan
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Other than the extreme softness of the bed, this hotel was great. The feeling of the hotel was cozy and comfortable - this hotel would probably be wonderful in the winter. There was no dustbin/trashcan in the main bedroom and some mildew in the shower/bath but other than that, we were very happy with the room. The cost was relatively high though (over $200/night) but given the peak summer season (August) that can probably be expected. The hotel is ideally situated - only a short walk from Columbus circle and Central Park - with perhaps a 10min walk from 42nd street (Times Square and Broadway theaters). We would stay here again - but would check for specials first. The breakfast and coffee (low budget instant coffee) can really be improved for the price that this hotel charges - our tip, just skip the breakfast completely and walk to the Lenny's about 50m past the McDonalds in 55th Street - you won't be sorry!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gripen49
Canton, Connecticut
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My sister and I got snowed in last winter and needed to stay an extra night in NYC. The Da Vinci was the only hotel we could find on short notice that was reasonably priced. For $100 for the night I really cannot complain. Honestly- I loved the atmposphere and the woman at the front desk was so nice. The hotel is very old-fashioned. I felt like I stepped into a movie! The room was not great. The bathroom needed a good cleaning. The bed was hard. The heater didn't work properly and the woman at the desk brought us a space heater. Joe G's restaurant was downstairs and we loved it! I wouldn't stay here for an entended period of time and it certainly wasn't the best placed I've stayed in. But it was so cute I would go back again for a 1-2 night stay.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank susiedreamer
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Upon arriving to NYC from DC we were excited to take a few minutes to sit down and relax at our hotel we arrived to NYC early and called to see if we could have an early check in after our 4th attempt at calling someone finally answered and was fairly rude on the phone told us check in was at 3 and we could try to call after noon to see if we could check in! We decided to just find our way to our hotel around 230 so we wouldn't have to carry our bags when you first walk up to the hotel it looked like a broken down carriage home AC unit barely hanging out the window we walked in to a rather interesting smell and oak covering every inch after being rudely greeted and told to wait we were able to go check in we walked down a super narrow hall way to an elevator that lead us to our room we walked in the door got stopped by the bed it was so small we asked for a room with a view we got a view of trash that say on top of the building below us half the blinds were broken and the mirror was cracked the pictures hung crooked like literally you wouldn't believe this is felt like something out of a movie we left the hotel right away and ended out checking into dream hotel a block away the staff was friendly the hotel was legit with a 5000lbs fish tank to greet you! Our room was nice reminded me of staying t the Aloft hotels it was $50 extra but tots worth it! When we checked out the da Vinci and told them we couldn't stay there after only being checked in for 3 hours they didn't care about loosing our business not did they attempt to accommodate us better! When visiting new York spend the money for better accommodations te buildings are old here and many need remodeling so it's worth it to have piece of mind and to know where your staying!

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank Jetsetter622

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Providence, RI
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was my second stay at the Da Vinci Hotel, and I was pleased to see that not much has changed since my first, in 2007. The hotel staff is still friendly and non-intrusive, the rooms are still clean, the price is still right, and the area surrounding the hotel has actually gotten a lot nicer over the past five years. I also noticed a few new perks. The hotel now offers a very small free breakfast spread of generic-looking muffins, pastries, and coffee, but I cannot comment on the quality as I didn't partake. Oh, and they actually offer free wi-fi now! (We had to latch on to a neighboring signal back in 2007.)

Now that I've lived not far from NYC for seven years and make somewhat frequent day and weekend trips, I've found that midtown is an area which I generally try to avoid. However, I don't really count the Da Vinci's midtown location as a bad thing - it is super close to a few subway stops, including Columbus Circle, and its proximity to Central Park is great for those of us who want to take a morning jog. And even a room on the third floor with street-facing windows was pretty quiet at night.

I will definitely stay at the Da Vinci again and again, as long as it stays just how it is! Oh, except I will certainly remember to bring my own pillow from now on - theirs might just be the worst pillows I've ever used!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple