“NICE!”

Ranked #356 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Michigan
“NICE!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

I was worried when I first booked this hotel through Hot-Wire.com. Some reviews I read were less than hoped for; but!!! I really enjoyed stating there. I was in over the 4th of July weekend, and found it very charming. Quaint is the word I think this small Boutique Hotel deserves. When I came into the small reception desk, a couple were playing a piano and singing; which I found very intoxicating. The desk were very friendly and willing to help. The elevator was tiny but efficient if you don't have too many bags! The room I was in was small but clean and charming! The TV took a minute or so to start like it was on computer setup. Air was noisy; but that didn't bother me. I would recommend this hotel to singles or romantic couples. I would really like to give it 3 1/2 stars but the system seems not to have half star rating. I have been going to NYC for 45 years and this wasn't the worst Hotel I've stayed in. Try it. I think you would like this small charming Hotel!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank masterggg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed at Mayfair hotel on July, 2016. The location was great in Time Square where everything was within walking distance to Broadway shows, Rockefeller center, Central Park etc.
Room was really small and being a older hotel, only room air conditioner so had to keep the bathroom door open to keep it cool. Outside hallway was also hot.
The hotel staff was really nice.
If we can find another reasonable in this area we would not stay in this one.

Room Tip: Stay at the top floor so do not get the noise from the street like 7th floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DuttaTx
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

As a frequent visitor to NYC I have stayed in many hotels in different areas of town. Being in the heart of the Theatre District and close to Times Square is thought of as exciting but is actually noisy, dirty and charmless. I'd recommend the West Village, Murray Hill or the Upper West Side over this nabe.
The hotel itself is very dated. I couldn't bring myself to use the lift as it is tiny and rickety. Walking up the stairs you see frayed carpets and dirty and scuffed wallpaper. The rooms are tiny. My friends and I had nowhere to put our suitcases without falling over them. The air conditioner was broken and I was told by a disinterested receptionist that there are only maintenance staff on hand from 9-5 Monday to Friday. I requested a different room but the only option was to upgrade and to pay more as all equivalent rooms were full.
NYC in the height of summer is sweltering and it is not possible to sleep without AC.
My advice is to pay a bit more and get a lot more elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Elle S

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Santo Domingo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

You cant beat this location, right next to all the plays of Broadway, and 2 blocks away from Times Square. Think about it, you wake up at 1am and you could just put some jeans on and walk around never-sleeping-TimesSquare in about 5 minutes. How great is that? Rooms arent good looking (they used the same fabric pattern on literally EVERYTHING) but are very clean, the bed is super comfortable, and has all you need including private and decent bathroom, safebox and closet. Paid around US$150/night. I will be staying here more often.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

Unfortunately the Mayfair was not what we were expecting. We went on it based on the reviews on trip advisor and expedia and were disappointed.

One positive – THE LOCATION – RIGHT NEXT TO TIME SQUARE AND A SUBWAY STATION.
There were three of us, so we got a double bed and a sofa bed. We thought the rooms would be small and they were quite pokey! It was very hard with three suitcases to move around.

The in room facilities weren’t bad – there was a safe, iron, iron board, big TV and toiletries.

However the décor is in need of major renovations. The wall paper was coming off the walls and there was no lock on the bathroom door and it didn’t click meaning we had to create a door stop from a water bottle we had. It was a outdated bathroom, mouldy , but like I said they gave you quite a few free toiletries.

We had big problems with the sofa bed. It was ancient. It was tiny and it was extremely uncomfortable, uneven and extremely creaky. I feel that the Mayfair really can’t sell this for sleeping on. A full grown man would not be able to sleep comfortably on it. We had to try and even it out under the thin mattress (if you can call it mattress) with towels and strange foam blankets – although this did not help much. There was no adequate bedding either for it. There were no extra pillows or blanket/duvet, despite knowing there were three of us coming to stay. We phoned reception and we were told that they had no spare duvets and that they had enough for the rooms only. Well in that case, my argument is, don’t suggest the room is able to sleep three? If you aren’t even prepared yourself for this!!

The rooms were cleaned as well as they could be! The décor just made it look dirty.
The wifi did not reach our room – we were on the 8th floor. This was disappointing as it is advertised as the rooms having wifi.

The reception staff were mostly helpful!(bar that problem above) Always happy to help and ordered us a cab when we needed to leave. However, a few times we felt that tips were expected for the tiniest things ( we accept that tips are what is expected) for example taking our bags out of the car and putting them on a trolley – this man did not take our bags up to the room. The man that did – we tipped.

The bar was good – but we were told it is not actually connected to the hotel. It is just next to the hotel and the guests have easy access. We had an extremely helpful barmaid and I wish I could remember her name because she was refreshingly friendly and gave us lots of advice and she received a nice large tip!

Room Tip: Overall – if you are happy to be out of your room the majority of the time – and as you are in New Y...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank TLN1510
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

Based on some of the reviews I read I came prepared with my own sheets and bedbug spray, neither of which was necessary. This quaint hotel built in 1902 does show some age but was part of the the whole experience of staying in NYC. Our room was very small but for the one night that all we did was sleep in the room it was fine. The location is premium! One half block off Broadway and in the heart of times square.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Italiansweetie
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

Luckily for this hotel, the location just about makes up for the shabbiness of the hotel. Worn out carpet, torn window blinds and general disrepair throughout. We also had a cockroach on day 1 although we were immediately upgraded to a bigger room as a result.
But if you're in New York you're not going to be in the hotel all that much. It's the most amazing city in the world and this hotel's location is incredible.

Room Tip: The double is very small, opt for a queen+ if possible.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple