“Don't do it!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #360 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Chicago, Illinois
“Don't do it!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

My husband and I checked into the Mayfair in September of 2013 expecting to see what the pictures of the hotel showed. We were sadly disappointed. The carpets were frayed and about 90 years old, the room was small, the elevator was old and rickety, the phone didn't work and they didn't seem to be to concerned about it saying they would try to find another phone but it they couldn't, oh well. They didn't even have standard TV channels like ABC, CBS and NBC. The bathroom was the nicest part of the room. I know most hotels that close to Broadway are small and I could live with that but at clean and update your carpets, sheets and bedspreads. I feel like I was deceived because they show pictures of a Mayfair from maybe 20 years ago and not the Mayfair of now. Do yourself a favor and spend a little more money and go somewhere else.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in the Mayfair.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I don't mind that the rooms are tiny. I can get over the fact that the carpet is peeling off and badly needs fixing. The tiny elevator is also something I can overlook because the price is pretty good.

But seriously, this hotel has cockroaches. Absolutely disgusting. There is no way a hotel should be allowed to exist. This is hazardous to human health. Do not ever stay here unless you have no problems with roaches and all the diseases they carry.

Spend a little extra money and stay somewhere else nearby. They didn't offer anything except a room change, which doesn't at all make up for it. As a business there should be absolutely no question of a full refund when something like this occurs. Never, ever again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ElanTedronai

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I was disappointed when i cheeked into the hotel at 8pm to find I had blood stains on my bed sheets.

The front desk refused to help me out. They said i had extra sheet's in my closet which i didn't besides a blanket. so i let them know that. it was just a huge argument with the front desk i even had to get my husband to call in for me to speak to the front desk as they refused to help me out. The front desk personnel was very disrespectful and rude to my husband as i herd him tell him off as i stood there. And then my husband called to tell me also.

To make the story short to the point .....
They said they can't do any thing because house cleaning is gone. of course i question and tried finding a solution but he didn't care to assist with giving me new sheets. or finding a solution.
then finally i said then give me another room... he claimed there was no other room after arguing about that he said. Oh i may have a cancelation but i won't know till later on. But its already 8pm how long do i wait??? so i waited and then got fed up as they really don't care.
I know they did have another room as when i had cheeked in the front desk person had maybe a friend or someone he knew and told him he would give him a bigger room as they passed one another and were joking around about something. he told him he will get back to him.

Finally after the phone call with my husband the door man gave me white sheets which again where dirty, and ripped. it looked like old sheets that were stuck under a tire lol. And of course they didn't change them for me i had made my own bed. with new dirty ripped sheets.. but it beat the blood stained one.

I did tell the front desk personnel the 2nd sheets were ripped and dirty he didn't care but i left it off as he didn't respond and he didn't care and i just wanted to sleep.

I did leave a message for Ed the manager who refused to email me back and i can never get a hold of him. Now i've decided why not post my experience here.

I would look around for another hotel next time as I'm pretty sure other hotels do care if a customer has dirty sheets and take care of the prob asap. Unlike Mayfair Hotel

Room Tip: tell them they should provide you with clean sheets not dirty ones
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank a d
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel for two nights because it was the cheapest I could find that was close to Times Square. I was leery after some of the reviews. I was beyond surprised. The staff was so incredibly nice. We arrived at 7Am and they stored our luggage free of charge. Our room wasn't ready by 3 so they upgraded our room to the king with a pullout. I was surprised at how big the bathroom was and the room actually after seeing reviews. Bed was comfy and it wasn't loud in the room although we did have the AC running all night long. The hotel is old and has peeling wallpaper and carpet is very worn. You can't beat the price, location and staff. They were so accommodating. I would stay here again in a heart beat. Times Square is so incredibly close, I loved it!

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Valerie B
Schenectady, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Stayed here for one night for a show at Carnegie Hall. 3 of us were in a king room with pull out chair. It worked for what we needed. The rooms are smallish (as expected in Manhattan), but we were able to move around fine for the short amounts of time we were in the room (though I think we were in the largest they have so it's all relative - room 705). Bathroom is functional and actually roomier than expected. Made getting ready easy. Hot water is very hot, so be careful when washing hands/face in the sink. No toiletries other than shampoo and soap. Pack accordingly (or plan a drug store stop). Bed was comfortable. Pullout chair may not be comfortable for those over 5'8" or so. Only complaint about the room - So. Very. Hot. AC appears to not be turned on yet or broken and we were there on the first 75 degree day of the year (mid-April so understandable if they didn't turn it on yet). Even with the windows open, it was still like an oven in there. The location was convenient for the show and getting in and out of town (reasonable walk to Penn Station, Grand Central, Port Authority and Megabus). Super convenient for Broadway shows or most things in midtown. If you're in town to see Book of Mormon or Chicago, you can't get closer than this hotel. As it is several blocks removed, it is possible to avoid the complete madness of Times Square itself while staying here if one so chooses. Luggage storage is available after checkout for $2 per bag. Front desk staff members were always friendly. Did not make use of restaurant so have no opinion. Would recommend to friends.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Warkworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I really liked this hotel. The rooms were warm and cosy, the beds comfy and the staff really helpful and friendly. The location is perfect, very close to Times Square and the subway on 48th / 7th, and while the decor is a bit dated and it is not the shiniest, cleanest place I have stayed, it has character and charm. It is an old building but my room was quiet (hard to find anywhere in NY!), and while the room was also very small, there is nowhere in NY where you'll find big rooms: even the fancy hotels have small ones. For this price range, I was really pleased!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Stefanievdp
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

If you want perfection, this is not the place. The carpet is a little worn and the elevator is European style (very tiny and a little creaky) but if you can appreciate a cozy, clean little place at a very decent price you will like the Mayfair. Turn left out the front door and there's a nice upscale coffee shop for breakfast. Turn right out the front door and there's a full grocery store. Walk a block and you're at the subway. My room was comfy, clean and tastefully decorated. This is one of those places I hesitate to write about because I don't want it to get too popular.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business