“clean your own room/bring your own clean sheets” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mayfair Hotel

Mayfair Hotel
Ranked #361 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Calgary, Canada
“clean your own room/bring your own clean sheets”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I was disappointed when i cheeked into the hotel at 8pm to find I had blood stains on my bed sheets.

The front desk refused to help me out. They said i had extra sheet's in my closet which i didn't besides a blanket. so i let them know that. it was just a huge argument with the front desk i even had to get my husband to call in for me to speak to the front desk as they refused to help me out. The front desk personnel was very disrespectful and rude to my husband as i herd him tell him off as i stood there. And then my husband called to tell me also.

To make the story short to the point .....
They said they can't do any thing because house cleaning is gone. of course i question and tried finding a solution but he didn't care to assist with giving me new sheets. or finding a solution.
then finally i said then give me another room... he claimed there was no other room after arguing about that he said. Oh i may have a cancelation but i won't know till later on. But its already 8pm how long do i wait??? so i waited and then got fed up as they really don't care.
I know they did have another room as when i had cheeked in the front desk person had maybe a friend or someone he knew and told him he would give him a bigger room as they passed one another and were joking around about something. he told him he will get back to him.

Finally after the phone call with my husband the door man gave me white sheets which again where dirty, and ripped. it looked like old sheets that were stuck under a tire lol. And of course they didn't change them for me i had made my own bed. with new dirty ripped sheets.. but it beat the blood stained one.

I did tell the front desk personnel the 2nd sheets were ripped and dirty he didn't care but i left it off as he didn't respond and he didn't care and i just wanted to sleep.

I did leave a message for Ed the manager who refused to email me back and i can never get a hold of him. Now i've decided why not post my experience here.

I would look around for another hotel next time as I'm pretty sure other hotels do care if a customer has dirty sheets and take care of the prob asap. Unlike Mayfair Hotel

Room Tip: tell them they should provide you with clean sheets not dirty ones
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank a d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel for two nights because it was the cheapest I could find that was close to Times Square. I was leery after some of the reviews. I was beyond surprised. The staff was so incredibly nice. We arrived at 7Am and they stored our luggage free of charge. Our room wasn't ready by 3 so they upgraded our room to the king with a pullout. I was surprised at how big the bathroom was and the room actually after seeing reviews. Bed was comfy and it wasn't loud in the room although we did have the AC running all night long. The hotel is old and has peeling wallpaper and carpet is very worn. You can't beat the price, location and staff. They were so accommodating. I would stay here again in a heart beat. Times Square is so incredibly close, I loved it!

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Valerie B
Schenectady, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Stayed here for one night for a show at Carnegie Hall. 3 of us were in a king room with pull out chair. It worked for what we needed. The rooms are smallish (as expected in Manhattan), but we were able to move around fine for the short amounts of time we were in the room (though I think we were in the largest they have so it's all relative - room 705). Bathroom is functional and actually roomier than expected. Made getting ready easy. Hot water is very hot, so be careful when washing hands/face in the sink. No toiletries other than shampoo and soap. Pack accordingly (or plan a drug store stop). Bed was comfortable. Pullout chair may not be comfortable for those over 5'8" or so. Only complaint about the room - So. Very. Hot. AC appears to not be turned on yet or broken and we were there on the first 75 degree day of the year (mid-April so understandable if they didn't turn it on yet). Even with the windows open, it was still like an oven in there. The location was convenient for the show and getting in and out of town (reasonable walk to Penn Station, Grand Central, Port Authority and Megabus). Super convenient for Broadway shows or most things in midtown. If you're in town to see Book of Mormon or Chicago, you can't get closer than this hotel. As it is several blocks removed, it is possible to avoid the complete madness of Times Square itself while staying here if one so chooses. Luggage storage is available after checkout for $2 per bag. Front desk staff members were always friendly. Did not make use of restaurant so have no opinion. Would recommend to friends.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Warkworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I really liked this hotel. The rooms were warm and cosy, the beds comfy and the staff really helpful and friendly. The location is perfect, very close to Times Square and the subway on 48th / 7th, and while the decor is a bit dated and it is not the shiniest, cleanest place I have stayed, it has character and charm. It is an old building but my room was quiet (hard to find anywhere in NY!), and while the room was also very small, there is nowhere in NY where you'll find big rooms: even the fancy hotels have small ones. For this price range, I was really pleased!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Stefanievdp
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

If you want perfection, this is not the place. The carpet is a little worn and the elevator is European style (very tiny and a little creaky) but if you can appreciate a cozy, clean little place at a very decent price you will like the Mayfair. Turn left out the front door and there's a nice upscale coffee shop for breakfast. Turn right out the front door and there's a full grocery store. Walk a block and you're at the subway. My room was comfy, clean and tastefully decorated. This is one of those places I hesitate to write about because I don't want it to get too popular.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank d_odomok
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I was definitely on the fence about this hotel given some of the negative reviews, but my personal experience here over 4 days was extremely positive.

First off, the hotel is older so it has some... rustic charm lets say. Others might describe it as dilapidated, but I prefer the former. Full of character, but also the ceiling has holes in it on some floors I observed, beat up carpet in some areas and similar things you might expect to find in a hotel of this age. My girlfriend and I stayed on the 6th floor and none of these things impacted our stay though.

No complaints about the hotel staff. We found them to be friendly, accommodating with our luggage when we arrived before our check in time and the maid service was what I would have expected.

The room we stayed in (Theatre district-double bed-pvt bath-cabletv free wifi-cable tv-lcd tv-european flair) was small yes, but not as small as others have described and it suited our needs perfectly fine. Bathroom was a good size, air conditioning worked just fine, was not too loud and our room situated in an alley in between buildings was quiet. I did not mind the crappy alley view from our window as it resulted in virtually no outside noise other than the occasional sounds of pigeons. We also never had any issues with the one hotel elevator.

Best part about this hotel of course is the location and price compared to other hotels in the Broadway district. Pretty self explanatory here. Our experience was that yes, the location is awesome and for what's within walking distance you can't beat it considering the price.

Last thing I will make a note of is the bar and restaurant attached to the hotel. Standard bar offerings for drinks, but we found the food to be surprisingly good the one night we got some pasta here, actually better than a significantly more expensive Italian restaurant down the street. If you opt to stay at the Mayfair I highly suggest giving them a try.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brandon G
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

If you are just sleeping and it is short stay, this place is o.k, if you plan to spend time in the room relaxing forget it! The bathroom was almost the same size as the bedroom, so it was o.k. The staff were very helpful especially in the bar down stairs( which I do not think is under the management of the hotel) this little bar is one of the best in NYC ! It made our trip fantastic. The location is also great.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family