New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Mayfair Hotel

Mayfair Hotel
Ranked #362 of 477 Hotels in New York City
Montevideo, Uruguay
“Not very fancy but good value for money - great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel during our last holiday at it was the perfect choice for us since we were travelling on a tight budget. It wasn’t anything fancy but it had clean rooms, cheap rates and a great location, just a few blocks away from Time Square, walking distance to all the Broadway theatres and restaurants. Being close to everything saved us time and money. I loved the area and if I go back to New York (hopefully I will! I really fell in love with this magical city!) I will surely stay at this hotel again.

The rooms were tiny, but that didn’t affect us since we were hardly in the rooms at all – we prefer to use as much time as possible discovering the city and sightseeing.
Our room was not very nicely decorated and very old fashion - but it was clean which is the most important thing for us, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was fine.
I had read some comments about this hotel which mentioned bed bugs, therefore I looked at the mattress and revised the corners of the bed and the carpet when I arrived, but all was good and we didn’t have any issues with this.

Our room was on a high floor which helped cut down on the noise, the only bad thing about being on a high floor was having to take the elevator, the elevator was very old and made lots of noise wich was kind of creepy.

Over all we liked the hotel, great value for money! I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a low floor if you are claustrophobic or scared of noisy elevators
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KanguraCharrua

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Pasadena, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

kleenex box rooms. i get that, it's new york. reserved room months ago at one price.showed up only to find friday & saturday nights had nearly doubled and a half in price. not my fault that the new york marathon was that weekend, and some burro booked us at a lower rate. no advanced notice of the price change. throw in pipes that rattle like thunder, an elevator that was old 50 years ago, and a staff that could care less about anything, and you're all set for a hell of a great time. not!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Alexandria, Egypt
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Location is perfect. My room was extremely small. I was told this in the confirmation but never though it would be this small. Front desk was OK. Concierge helped taking my luggage till my flight. Only 4 TV channels were working. No noise can be heard in the 6th floor.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a bigger room with a view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Kemsh
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed at the Mayfair Hotel with my daughter and found it very convienient to everything we wanted to do. The staff was always helpful and courteous and our room, although small, was clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was very nice, good water pressure and huge compared to NY standards I am told. I thought the price and convienience of location made Mayfair a very nice hotel and one that I would not hesitate to stay at again!

Room Tip: The elevator is quite small so we used the stairs often....maybe choose a lower floor if stairs are...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Gaffneychic
Edmond, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was our second trip to New York City and this hotel beat the last one by far. This is a smaller hotel with a great location. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Our room was one of the larger ones and we actually had a view of 49th street and not a brick wall! The bed was very comfortable and although the wallpaper, chair and headboard were all the same print (haha) we were very satisfied with our stay. We were not cramped like our last hotel in NYC. We would definitely visit this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shebasmom
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Great location if you want to go to the theatres. Felt very safe on the street at night. Excellent Italian piano restaurant next door and there is a good coffee shop on the corner. Room was tiny and dated but bathroom was clean and relatively spacious. Reception staff didn't seem to want to chat or make eye contact but that kind of thing becomes a bit of a laugh to me. We stayed here for 6 nights and didn't spend too much time in the room so it was perfectly fine for our stay. No luxury, just the basics.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband and brother this hotel is brilliant for the price ok so the wallpaper is old looking but I don't go to a hotel to look at the wallpaper the bathroom was clean and tidy the sofa bed was comfortable and the room was spacious the wifi was a bit hit and miss but you can't expect everything great location the staff were very helpful and friendly and the maid did the room everyday all in all I would stay there again in a heartbeat

Stayed October 2013