“Awful”
Review of Mayfair Hotel

Mayfair Hotel
Ranked #365 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Elevator was broken-had to walk up 5 flights. No remote in room for TV-at 4:00 PM-was told 'too bad-you can get one tomorrow" Staff could have cared less. I checked out within 4 hrs of checking in. Staff could have cared less about my leaving-no offer of apology-NOTHING. Room was tiny-but to be fair-clean and neat. Then again I was in it all of 15 minutes maybe.

Room Tip: Stair carpets were threadbare. Lobby dark and musty.Could not swing a cat in the room-VERY small. El...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Mayfair Hotel

Reviewed April 13, 2013

it is a bit old, rooms are tiny, windows are not well isolated, lots of noise from the ventilation of adjacent buildings, heating system is centralized so the temperature in the room is at the mercy of the other guests and the receptionist. Receptionists are nice but not knowledgeable about New York and not very proactive in helping you find out things and make the best of your time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

The Mayfair hotel is superbly located from not only times square (100m) but a subway station sits just across the road to get everywhere else!! As for the rooms, they are quite small and quirkily decorated, but with a building in this location the rooms are going to be small. I was actually surprised having read reviews on here when we arrived. A comfortable room to sleep in, good location, good value.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed at the Mayfair for one evening, after attending the opera. The hotel's location is ideal for theater attendees. There are several restaurants, as well as a grocery store, close to the hotel. My room was quite small, and rather warm, but it was clean and had all of the amenities I needed. The front desk staff, as well as the doormen, are absolutely marvelous--very helpful & friendly. I will absolutely stay at the Mayfair again the next time I have a late night in the city.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed in the Hotel during 4 days and 3 nights with my mom and sister. Before we booked a Hotel in NY for our trip we searched first for a central area. The Hotel is wonderfully located, very close to everything which made our trip easier and we could do more things than we actually thought just for the location of the Hotel. We catch the subway from JFK to the hotel and it was very easy too. No need of cabs.
Before we book in the Hotel we already knew the rooms were small so that wasn’t a terrible surprise, even in just one room were my mom, sister and I, we feel very comfortable and cosy, so that was not a problem, besides that, we went to New York to enjoy the city, not to stay in a Hotel all day, we only need a clean bedroom and we had it.
The food in the restaurant (Cielo) is really good; I recommend the shrimps in Olive Oil. The guest in the hotel has 10% of discount in the restaurant.
The Hotel is very Old, which I particularly love and enjoy, specially the pictures in the lobby of old Hollywood. The only problem (If we can called that way) we had, was the handle of the restroom which was broken, but that wasn’t a huge problem.
All in all, if you are looking for a very cool and central area and a hotel that suits your budget this is your hotel. If you are looking for big rooms and more modern Hotels don’t even bother in stay here.
In our next trip to NY we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Catalina M
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My friend and I were in town for one night so we decieded to go for a cheaper hotel as we wouldnt be spending much time in the hotel itself. We stayed at the Mayfair hotel. We had a room on the 7th floor which had no AC and you could hear all the noise from outside. The elevator for the hotel could fit probably only 2 people and 1 luggage and the room itself was VERY small. I mean the bathroom alone was beyond tiny and the room had only one bed and when they say pull out couch its really just a chair. All and all it is very close to times square but I wouldnt stay here again

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 6, 2013

First the good stuff. We had one weekend in NYC and to make the most of the short time we wanted to stay somewhere close to everything and where it is happening. The location of Mayfair hotel is fantastic - 1 block from Times Square, 5 mins walk to the subway, close to Broadway (Chicago was playing in the theatre opposite the hotel), good restaurants and cafes nearby. Second, the staff were very helpful, especially the doorman.

Now for the bad. The decor in the rooms was naff. The wallpaper matches the curtains which matches the pillows which matches the headboard which matches the lamps, which gave me a headache by the end of the weekend. Second, they have a boiler system that heats up the entire hotel. Unfortunately, there is no switch in the room to control the setting so the only way to counteract the heat is to turn the air con on. The room was incredibly stuffy and we couldnt even open the windows to get some fresh air.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple