“A very Good Option!!!!!!”
Review of Mayfair Hotel

Mayfair Hotel
Ranked #363 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Bogota, Colombia
“A very Good Option!!!!!!”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed in the Hotel during 4 days and 3 nights with my mom and sister. Before we booked a Hotel in NY for our trip we searched first for a central area. The Hotel is wonderfully located, very close to everything which made our trip easier and we could do more things than we actually thought just for the location of the Hotel. We catch the subway from JFK to the hotel and it was very easy too. No need of cabs.
Before we book in the Hotel we already knew the rooms were small so that wasn’t a terrible surprise, even in just one room were my mom, sister and I, we feel very comfortable and cosy, so that was not a problem, besides that, we went to New York to enjoy the city, not to stay in a Hotel all day, we only need a clean bedroom and we had it.
The food in the restaurant (Cielo) is really good; I recommend the shrimps in Olive Oil. The guest in the hotel has 10% of discount in the restaurant.
The Hotel is very Old, which I particularly love and enjoy, specially the pictures in the lobby of old Hollywood. The only problem (If we can called that way) we had, was the handle of the restroom which was broken, but that wasn’t a huge problem.
All in all, if you are looking for a very cool and central area and a hotel that suits your budget this is your hotel. If you are looking for big rooms and more modern Hotels don’t even bother in stay here.
In our next trip to NY we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Catalina M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My friend and I were in town for one night so we decieded to go for a cheaper hotel as we wouldnt be spending much time in the hotel itself. We stayed at the Mayfair hotel. We had a room on the 7th floor which had no AC and you could hear all the noise from outside. The elevator for the hotel could fit probably only 2 people and 1 luggage and the room itself was VERY small. I mean the bathroom alone was beyond tiny and the room had only one bed and when they say pull out couch its really just a chair. All and all it is very close to times square but I wouldnt stay here again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 6, 2013

First the good stuff. We had one weekend in NYC and to make the most of the short time we wanted to stay somewhere close to everything and where it is happening. The location of Mayfair hotel is fantastic - 1 block from Times Square, 5 mins walk to the subway, close to Broadway (Chicago was playing in the theatre opposite the hotel), good restaurants and cafes nearby. Second, the staff were very helpful, especially the doorman.

Now for the bad. The decor in the rooms was naff. The wallpaper matches the curtains which matches the pillows which matches the headboard which matches the lamps, which gave me a headache by the end of the weekend. Second, they have a boiler system that heats up the entire hotel. Unfortunately, there is no switch in the room to control the setting so the only way to counteract the heat is to turn the air con on. The room was incredibly stuffy and we couldnt even open the windows to get some fresh air.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank xasyde
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed March 6, 2013

All these bad reviewers really had an axe to grind. Complaining about slow lifts and hot rooms. My first impression was "Wow" this hotel is from the 1940's - in a good way It has a 1940's French style about it with a piano in the foyer and pictures of famous actors on the wall. It looks like it needs repairs but that is what adds to the feel of the place. The room was kinda small but how much room do you need? Thinking of swinging any Cats lately? That makes it cosy. The Bathroom was fully equipped with plenty of Towels and accessories. It was cleaned everyday, It smelt clean and was. I was able to keep my drinks (and Chocolate) cold by putting it on the window ledge outside. The staff were friendly and helpful. What more do you need. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a room high as possible, Less outside noise. Remember, you are close to Broadway.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank I P F
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is a good option if you are on a budget, but still want to be close to where things are happening. Although the hotel is old and showing it - everything is clean and tidy. During our stay in March the central heating was on and I found the room uncomfortably hot. Still, we had a good stay.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RapTrav
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Overall I spent in Mayfair hotel 3 nights (2 nights first and then came backto this hotel a week later to spend one more night). The location is great, it's almost as you live in the Times Square: Broadway is the next door, 5th avenue 10 min walk, central park is also close enough. The service in the hotel is the best too, I had several issues that were resolved immediately. The hotel is quite old, but neat and clean more or less. The room for one person is very small, e.g. when I open my suitcase I couldn't open the door, but it wasn't a drama for me. When you are in the room first check if safe is not broken, also carefully check shower (carefully check if hot water is really hot:), I found it was not, when I already was in, not good cold surprise when it was -10C outside:). Also check toilet flash, before you use it. Those three problems I had, when I was there, BUT all of them were resolved quickly. Two first things (safe&shower) were immediately resolved by upgrading my single room to bigger room (w/t any charge of course), the flash problem was also solved quickly.I didn't have problems with the heating, it was fine, not too hot at all. Overall, I really enjoyed my short stay in this hotel and I may back here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I don't usually stay in the hotspot hotels, but for part of my last business trip I took a weekend out for personal time with my boyfriend and we chose the Mayfair. I thought, "why not?" and the price was decent.

While it is definitely in a great location - you can't get much more central than this - I was appalled to find that the sheets in our bed had not been changed. When we called down to front desk the guy was very unhelpful.

The guys at the front desk were quite rude, especially to my boyfriend, when he got new keycards after ours had been demagnetized.

I'm sure they don't care about negative reviews or treating people particularly well because they will get constant business, but I have stayed in some of the new boutique hotels in town where their #1 priority is customer service and taking care of the apparently "little things".

Well, it's the "little things" that matter. This hotel is coasting on location.

And I will gladly pay a premium for good customer service that enhances my experience, over a hotel where they don't bother to close the first pane of the double paned windows during a storm (you can imagine how cold the room was) and in a location that is at times hard to even get to when there are so many people around, especially coming out of the broadway shows and the entire street is blocked.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple