“Second Time Visitor” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #99 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Ronkonkoma, New York
“Second Time Visitor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

This was my second time staying at Moderne. The first time was back in April 2013 and was nothing but a pleasure. I had a room with two double beds and not much of a view but was still impressed with the overall decor, size and cleanliness of the room. The modern decor, hence the name is a nice touch. When traveling to the city again choosing Moderne was the obvious choice, I was seeing a show and the location is prime. I stayed on Jan 11th 2013. Check in is listed at 3:00pm and my show was at 2:30 so I called and spoke with Robbie the day before who was very accommodating and advised that he would note I would be in around 10:00am so my room would be ready for me (at no extra charge). Upon arrival I was greeted by Angel who asked if I would like one King bed or 2 full, I opted for one king and was comped a Junior Suite at no extra charge!

I can not begin to express how impressed I was with this room, I booked on Expedia and had additional coupons for saving some cash. What I got for what I paid for was incredible. This was one of the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in. The room itself was once again very clean and this time I had windows along the whole wall giving me a view of 55th street. The room was furnished with a pull out soft, flat screen tv and an Apple tv! It also had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. On the second floor of the hotel there is a lounge with complimentary coffee, tea, water and juice that runs 24hrs a day- nice for a quick pick me up.

The staff at Moderne is absolutely wonderful, they are so friendly and helpful. Angel and Robbie were very hospitable. I would never stay anywhere else when traveling into New York!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Angela F, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Amanda S,
Thank you for the 5 star review! We greatly appreciate your loyalty and we are ecstatic that we have become your home away from home! Robbie and Angel will be incredibly happy to hear your compliments on their service as well. It is always a pleasure to have you stay with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any future reservations. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Everything was perfect -- with the exception of the elevator being down -- but, hey, things happen. I was happy to be on the first floor. Staff was gracious, helpful and professional. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Angela F, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Robert C,
Thank you very much for the 5 star review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The staff will also be happy to hear that you found their service to be helpful and professional. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. Please reach out to me when you intend on staying again. We hope to see you soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

My wife and I visited NYC for the first time and were a little worried about our first NYC hotel. But, the Moderne turned out to be a great location, had clean rooms/bathrooms and the front staff was really nice. Especially Ravi, or Robbie, can't remember the name for sure, but he was great. My wife and I felt very welcome every time we came inside.

The price was really good for the location, too, because we walked to Central Park in about 5 minutes and down to Times Square in maybe 7 or 8 minutes. The hotel is right off Broadway, so it's really close to everything. The fruit and hot chocolate on the 2nd floor was a great touch, especially after coming in from a cold December night.

I usually research pretty extensively before picking my vacation hotel, so I was really pleased after my experience with this one. Only regret would have to be that our room didn't have a view, but I wasn't expecting one. The wallpaper in the halls are a little different (you'll see in the pictures), but didn't bother me. I'd stay here again, for sure.

Room Tip: Make sure to visit the pub across the street - It's the one that the show How I Met Your Mother...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Cody B,
Thank you for the 5 star review! We are pleased that you enjoyed our central location, service, and clean accommodations. Robbie will be especially delighted to hear your compliments. Please reach out to me whenever you wish to return. We hope to welcome you back soon!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

Myself and my fiance visited New York for New Years eve and stayed at the Moderne for 2 nights (29th and 30th). We were staying somewhere else for NYE but when the opportunity came up to stay in Manhattan for two nights previous, I had the interesting task of finding a hotel which was good but affordable, as most hotels were priced quite high at that time of year.

I came across the Moderne hotel via booking.com and was impressed by the pictures and pricing. I bit the bullet and made the booking. I contacted the hotel beforehand as it was my first trip with my fiance and I wanted to ensure our room was pleasant.

When I checked in, I was utterly blown away - for $200/average per night, I expected something a little small and second-rate, after all, prices were $400+ at most other hotels at this time of year. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at the hotel.

Although a small entrance, the actual hotel was very modern - well decorated, with a nice twist of new and old. The front desk was helpful, friendly and attentive, and a massive thank you to the hotel who upgraded me to a junior suite.

The experience however was made better by the people who run the hotel - they are very pleasant, made me feel like the hotel was my home in NY and really checked with me a lot to ensure everything was okay.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel to anyone needing a base in a great location in NY!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DevDay
Dear DevDay,
Thank you very much for the 5 star review! We are so glad that you enjoyed the accommodations and service you received. It was a great pleasure to host you and your fiance on your NYC trip. Please reach out to me whenever you wish to return so that I may personally arrange your accommodations again. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Boulder
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

The Moderne is a nice enough property. However, the elevator was out for at least 24 hours so I had to go up and down 7 flights of stairs. This is a safety issue. I waited 10 minutes to check out and the desk clerk never showed up. The bellman tried to reach him on his mobile phone and he didn't answer. I finally left. Will never stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Cheryl C,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We deeply regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Our elevator was out of service temporarily for routine repairs and we took great strides to accommodate guests so that they would not be inconvenienced. We would have been most happy to move you to a lower floor or provide some other form of compensation. We pride ourselves on providing efficient service and comfortable accommodations and we sincerely apologize that your stay was not ideal. I would appreciate an opportunity to speak with you on these matters in more detail. Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience. I look forward to speaking with you.
Terni, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

I'm sorry to write this after one month from coming back home to Italy but here I am finally!
This was my third time in New York but the first at The Moderne and it has become my future base whenever I'm gonna come back!
I was very worried about coming to NY alone and having a room on my own (as I was visiting a friend who's working in NY for some year), a stranger in a stranger hotel, among stranger faces but all the staff, Robbie the first to meet and the one who choose the fab room for me, all were so kind and nice and always ready to help me if I have some need. The room was perfect, sixth floor, a giant bed all for me, clean, with everything I miy have need for, small but very comfortable bathroom, a big and great shower, illumination perfect and a cozy and relaxed atmosphere.
I feel like at home when I'm in NY, i love that city, but this time I felt at home more then ever, coming back after all day out was like coming home.
Leaving aside my sensations and going back a real review, I should recommend it to all my friends and whoever asks me for some suggestion about their stay in NY, the position is perfect, I could go running in Central park every morning (as it is a 2 blocks for the hotel), Sixth Avenue and Radio City are just a small walk from it and the same goes for Grand Army Plaza, and it was very nice to come to the hotel for a stop, to drop some shopping bag ;-) or to change sweater if it was cold outside or whatever. You have the perfect position stay and you can go wherever you want and at the same time come back in awhile if you are in need to go. Also subway is near it, so reach all the palces you wish to see.
On the second floor you will find a really cozy room with hot beverages all day and all night plus in the morning you'll find fruits and also something sweet & hot to eat if you want to have breakfast before going out or just need something hot to drink when you come in and outside its freezy like it was when I was there in November.
So, thanks everybody, if you're reading me, thei is Federica from Italy, and I'd like to thank you for making my stay in the city I love, the best stay I could even imagine!
Hope to be back soon!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank FedeJ73
Angela F, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Dear FedeJ73,
Thank you for the 5 star review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel's central location, cleanliness, room amenities, and service. The staff is very glad that they were able to make you feel comfortable during your stay in NYC as well. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we are absolutely thrilled that you have decided to make us your future base during your trips to NYC! Please reach out to me personally the next time you wish to stay so that I may arrange your accommodations. We hope to see you soon!
Jupiter, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Although first concerned (when checking in) over a warning sticker on the front door (some sort of vacate order) and the fact that there was an engineer on a ladder working in the electric panel, our fears were soon put aside by the wonderful room and sweet staff (Rockin' Robbie!). My daughter & I were put in a very large room (ask for a room facing the street - the "01"'s...we were in 601) that was very clean, comfortable and of course, given the hotel name, featured a nice, contemporary design. (Turns out the warning sticker on the downstairs door was related to some temporary construction in the basement so have no worries). We had a terrific stay, location was FAB, and as mentioned the staff was very accommodating! The room rate was extremely reasonable for New York as well. The only reason I am putting 4 stars instead of 5 (given our excellent room, location, and service) are little things like the cable TV not working, there being no coffee pot in the room, and the fact that some sort of knocking noise kept me awake all night :-) And Robbie - keep up the good work!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Angela F, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Dear Sally O,
Thank you for your review! Robbie will be absolutely delighted to hear your compliments on his service! We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel's location and rooms. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope to welcome you back soon!