“Wonderful Boutique Hotel”
Review of Moderne Hotel

Moderne Hotel
Ranked #80 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 10, 2013

If you are looking for a hotel that is quiet (for NY standards), intimate, affordable, and near Times Square, this is your place. My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights. We were upgraded to a suite, which probably makes me slightly partial.

The staff were wonderful throughout our stay. My only complaint was that there was only one elevator for the 8 floors of the hotel. We never had to wait because there was too many people riding, but on occasion, the housekeeping staff had to run to the basement and it slowed the elevator traffic.

The bed was comfortable, bathroom was functional, and the amenities were workable. I would stay here again without hesitation. This place does not have a lot of bells and whistles that you might get elsewhere, but if you don't need those things, this will work well.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
AMahonAHG, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear BigDoerr25,

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience! We are delighted to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your experience and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Safe travels!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,960)

Reviewed May 9, 2013

The bellman was thoughtful enough to ask if I'd like the wifi access code while I waited in the lounge for my room to be readied (I had arrived much earlier than the usual check-in time.) The front desk staff found an item that I had left behind and mailed it back to me. Just two highlights of a friendly staff. The room was quiet and dark - slept very well, especially in NYC. The location is extremely convenient with easy subway access to all parts of Manhattan and other boroughs.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms provide easy access to lounge as it's on the same floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Julia C,

Thank you so much for your kind words about your stay with us! We think our staff is pretty great as well and are thrilled to hear that you agreed! We are so happy you had a good time and can't wait to see you again!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The location is excellent. The hotel is halfway between Time Square and Central Park. All major attractions are very close and there are several subway stations to move inside Manhattan.
The room was clean and quiet. The bathroom was comfortable with a big shower.
The reception staff was very kind and gave us many precious suggestions (like the best places to eat).
We will book this hotel again for our next journey in New York.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
AMahonAHG, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear gallinacido,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a response! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we think our location and staff are unbeatable as well! We are looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Ashley Mahon, the Hotel Manager at the Moderne understood that I arrived in town early with a migraine so she worked hard to get a room cleaned quickly so I could lay down. My husband and I were also upgraded to a larger room. The room was beautiful and spotless and the bed was unbelievably comfortable. It helped my head a lot. The gave us restaurant recommendations for lunch which turned out well. Everyone we spoke to on the staff was very kind. They were, especially Ashley, extremely professional and hospitable. If you book directly through the hotel, you get a 15% discount on your next stay. I found the price the same at Hotels.com so I went directly to the hotel. I highly recommend the Moderne.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear KiWron,

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and are so happy to hear that your headache did not ruin your overall experience! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

I booked this based on the reviews. I think the reviews sold me on the cleanliness and service.
I was disappointed, after I emailed the hotel in advance of this being a special occasion, there was no mention of the occasion when we arrived.
The room was very small which was fine. But the bathroom was tiny. Too tiny. If I flipped my towel to tie it around my head it hit the toilet. The shower was intended to be modern but the "glass wall" (no curtain or door) wasn't long enough so there was a pool of water after every use.
My second day there was a towel laid on the floor underneath the window that never left the spot during our 5 day stay. My husband didn't want me to inquire and I didn't bother.
The decoration was modern (it's the hotel's name so no other adjective) but dark. So, an already small room was even smaller. Window view was a brick wall so the drawn shade makes it like you are sleeping in a cave.
There were cracks in the bathroom ceiling and my comforter cover had a hole.

This hotel has a European feel but for a couple on their first vacation away from the kids, I was hoping for a little more.
I recently stayed at the Sheraton and the room size, for NY was a lot better.
We were hardly in the room, of course, but still looking for a retreat to soothe tired feet.

Regardless, wifi included, absolutely excellent location, this would be a perfect selection for singles or couples who haven't had kids yet.

If you are wondering why I didn't say anything about the occasion or the towel, I was too lazy, but if service was so great should I have to?

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear TL75,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property! We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations and wish that you would have brought your concerns to our attention so that we could have adjusted them to make your stay more enjoyable.Our staff strives to ensure that all of our guests have the best experience possible and we are sorry to hear that we did not achieve this with you. We hope that you will consider us again on your next stay so that we can show you all that the Moderne has to offer!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Reception was "educational". Our room had a window in a funnel/lightwell. They could do a lot more for a tasteful breakfast (european style) for the same costs. Most TV-channels are unlikely analoge - in "digital satellite time" there must´nt be problems to get european channels in different languages too. Courtesy room for short refreshing after check-out ist a great offer! Location is superb, only 10 minutes to Times Square or Central Park. Room is very noisy, door is not sound absorbing but selfclosing; locking was not possible. The flush has been leaky, permanent back filling buged. In fact nice design, average hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Booked a standard room which was average overall. The bed was below average for comfort, but it wasn't terrible. Room was very clean though. The first night we stayed, our neighbours on the same floor woke us up repeatedly throughout the night. Constantly in and out of the room, hanging out in the hallway, etc. We mentioned our concerns to the desk staff and they assured is it wouldn't happen again. The second night was worse. Talked to the night staff around midnight and then again at about 4am when we found someone sleeping in the hallway. Took a picture to show the staff, but little was done. After two nights of no sleep, they put us in a suite which was much better. The bed in the suite was 100% better, but we basically wasted half a day trying to get some rest. Sadly, we were there for my wife's Birthday and it was her first time in NYC, so the trip overall was disappointing. For the money, I'd recommend staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Book a suite or stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
AMahonAHG, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear JesseL1515,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post on our property. Our staff was very aware of the situations you encountered with the neighboring room and did our best to accommodate both parties. Whenever there is an issue with another room, we always immediately offer a room move (as we did after the first night of your stay as well) since we unfortunately cannot always control the actions of other guests. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the last night of your stay and hope you enjoyed the amenities we provided for your wife's birthday as well! We hope that the end of your stay hopefully somewhat made up for the beginning and that you will try to stay with us again in the future!