“Best ratio location/price”

Ranked #88 of 467 Hotels in New York City
cremona
“Best ratio location/price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

The location is excellent. The hotel is halfway between Time Square and Central Park. All major attractions are very close and there are several subway stations to move inside Manhattan.
The room was clean and quiet. The bathroom was comfortable with a big shower.
The reception staff was very kind and gave us many precious suggestions (like the best places to eat).
We will book this hotel again for our next journey in New York.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
AMahonAHG, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear gallinacido,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a response! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we think our location and staff are unbeatable as well! We are looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

Ashley Mahon, the Hotel Manager at the Moderne understood that I arrived in town early with a migraine so she worked hard to get a room cleaned quickly so I could lay down. My husband and I were also upgraded to a larger room. The room was beautiful and spotless and the bed was unbelievably comfortable. It helped my head a lot. The gave us restaurant recommendations for lunch which turned out well. Everyone we spoke to on the staff was very kind. They were, especially Ashley, extremely professional and hospitable. If you book directly through the hotel, you get a 15% discount on your next stay. I found the price the same at Hotels.com so I went directly to the hotel. I highly recommend the Moderne.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
AMahonAHG, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear KiWron,

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and are so happy to hear that your headache did not ruin your overall experience! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I booked this based on the reviews. I think the reviews sold me on the cleanliness and service.
I was disappointed, after I emailed the hotel in advance of this being a special occasion, there was no mention of the occasion when we arrived.
The room was very small which was fine. But the bathroom was tiny. Too tiny. If I flipped my towel to tie it around my head it hit the toilet. The shower was intended to be modern but the "glass wall" (no curtain or door) wasn't long enough so there was a pool of water after every use.
My second day there was a towel laid on the floor underneath the window that never left the spot during our 5 day stay. My husband didn't want me to inquire and I didn't bother.
The decoration was modern (it's the hotel's name so no other adjective) but dark. So, an already small room was even smaller. Window view was a brick wall so the drawn shade makes it like you are sleeping in a cave.
There were cracks in the bathroom ceiling and my comforter cover had a hole.

This hotel has a European feel but for a couple on their first vacation away from the kids, I was hoping for a little more.
I recently stayed at the Sheraton and the room size, for NY was a lot better.
We were hardly in the room, of course, but still looking for a retreat to soothe tired feet.

Regardless, wifi included, absolutely excellent location, this would be a perfect selection for singles or couples who haven't had kids yet.

If you are wondering why I didn't say anything about the occasion or the towel, I was too lazy, but if service was so great should I have to?

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
AMahonAHG, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear TL75,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property! We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations and wish that you would have brought your concerns to our attention so that we could have adjusted them to make your stay more enjoyable.Our staff strives to ensure that all of our guests have the best experience possible and we are sorry to hear that we did not achieve this with you. We hope that you will consider us again on your next stay so that we can show you all that the Moderne has to offer!
Salzburg, Austria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Reception was "educational". Our room had a window in a funnel/lightwell. They could do a lot more for a tasteful breakfast (european style) for the same costs. Most TV-channels are unlikely analoge - in "digital satellite time" there must´nt be problems to get european channels in different languages too. Courtesy room for short refreshing after check-out ist a great offer! Location is superb, only 10 minutes to Times Square or Central Park. Room is very noisy, door is not sound absorbing but selfclosing; locking was not possible. The flush has been leaky, permanent back filling buged. In fact nice design, average hotel.

Niagara Falls, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Booked a standard room which was average overall. The bed was below average for comfort, but it wasn't terrible. Room was very clean though. The first night we stayed, our neighbours on the same floor woke us up repeatedly throughout the night. Constantly in and out of the room, hanging out in the hallway, etc. We mentioned our concerns to the desk staff and they assured is it wouldn't happen again. The second night was worse. Talked to the night staff around midnight and then again at about 4am when we found someone sleeping in the hallway. Took a picture to show the staff, but little was done. After two nights of no sleep, they put us in a suite which was much better. The bed in the suite was 100% better, but we basically wasted half a day trying to get some rest. Sadly, we were there for my wife's Birthday and it was her first time in NYC, so the trip overall was disappointing. For the money, I'd recommend staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Book a suite or stay elsewhere.
AMahonAHG, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear JesseL1515,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post on our property. Our staff was very aware of the situations you encountered with the neighboring room and did our best to accommodate both parties. Whenever there is an issue with another room, we always immediately offer a room move (as we did after the first night of your stay as well) since we unfortunately cannot always control the actions of other guests. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the last night of your stay and hope you enjoyed the amenities we provided for your wife's birthday as well! We hope that the end of your stay hopefully somewhat made up for the beginning and that you will try to stay with us again in the future!
Belton, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

The Moderne is a small, boutique hotel with a modern European feel. The rooms are small but comfortable with higher end linens. However, don't expect much of a view in a Deluxe room...I initially didn't even realize my window was actually window. But who goes to NYC to stay indoors and enjoy the view anyway? The location of the hotel is convenient to Broadway shows, Times Square, Rockefeller Plaza, Central Park, David Letterman, subways, and great restaurants. I couldn't ask for a more convenient midtown location! With such a small hotel, the staff knows you by name. They provided great tourist tips, arranged transportation, and responded to my every need and request. For example, I asked if I could change rooms mid-stay to a higher floor...not only did they honor my request but moved my belongings. The Moderne is a beautiful property with a caring staff in the heart of New York City.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the room next to the front desk. It is convenient but noisy. Laying in bed I could he...
AMahonAHG, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Stuart M,

Thank you so much for sharing such kind words! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you taking the time to post a review. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
As, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

The hotel is very average, but I think it fits very well in the standards of NYC, so no complaints but just average.
The location itself is superb, within 10 minutes you're on Times Square and in the hotel it still remains all very quiet. So best points for that one.
Interior of the hotel is dutch modern design, though I think they could do more with that fact, it's just ok.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
AMahonAHG, Manager at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Bart G,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on our property. I'm disappointed to hear that you'd consider us 'average' as we like to think we go a bit beyond the norm for our guests. As many of our previous reviews point out, our staff really strives to ensure that all of our guests have a positive and memorable experience and it seems that we did not achieve that with you. We are always looking for ways to improve our property and your opinion goes a long way in reminding us to never be complacent. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future so that we can show you more of the experience we strive to offer!