With my AAA discount I got this room for my mother and I 12/16-19 at $150 a night. This was a fantastic deal compared to other hotel prices at this time of the year.
After reading all the glowing reviews here, I had no doubt that this would be a good experience, even though I swore in the past I would never stay at this place when it was the Days Inn.
When I arrived, I was somewhat disappointed with the service. There were two front desk agents, and I ended up with Carolina, the one who never cracked a smile. She was incredibly rude and talked to me like a complete idiot. First she told me there was "no way I was checking in" because it was before check-in time. I had simply asked if it was possible to check in yet and even mentioned that I knew it was early. She then informed me there was a vacant room that should be ready in about an hour if I wanted that and asked what room type I prefer. I know that all my room preferences were there in the computer, and I've stayed in many hotels and know that "room type" can refer to a variety of things, so I asked what my options were. She yelled back, "The ROOM TYPE!" Then I got annoyed and told her it's all there in front of her, and she got rid of the attitude but said the rooms available only had one bed rather than the two I requested, so if I wanted two I would have to wait until check-in time. We were tired, and my mom wanted to check in ASAP, so we opted for the one bed since we're relatively small people. She got me all set up and told me to come back in about an hour when the room should be ready.
We left our luggage with the bellman, Domingo, who we dealt with numerous times, and he was always friendly and helpful.
We headed across the street to Olympic Diner which I had seen recommended. It was fun but had pretty terrible food (French toast was practically liquid and "crispy" bacon was completely limp). We moved pretty slowly in an attempt to kill the hour and then returned to the hotel. I was in no mood to deal with Carolina again, so I sent my mom up to check on the room, and she was smart enough to get in the pleasant agent's line. However, the room was not ready, so we went off to Rite-Aid to pick up some things and down to the subway to get our Metrocards and attempt to go downtown, but since we were so disoriented and tired, we spent the whole next hour trying to figure out how to go downtown instead of uptown. We gave up and headed back to the hotel to check on the room, and I got lightly hit by a car whose driver clearly saw me and just wanted to be a jerk, so now I was mad again. The room was still not ready. So we sat in the lobby, watched some bratty kids knock decorations off the tree, and looked over the map Domingo gave us to plan our day. When we were done, about three hours after we were told the room would be ready in an hour, the room was finally ready.
The room itself was not bad at all. The only fault I found was a few cracks in the ceiling. However, everything was clean, it was very spacious, and we had a great view of the street (the best possible at this hotel). Everything functioned properly, and we were glad to find the refrigerator was simply a refrigerator and not a mini-bar, so we could store our huge desserts each night!
I think I only heard one siren the entire time, and this was in the early morning rather than the middle of the night, so sound wasn't an issue. The beds were comfortable, and there were plenty of towels, which I only mention because later on this trip I stayed somewhere else that only had one washcloth in a room that supposedly accommodates four.
Check-out was effortless, and they had a taxi waiting for us as soon as we got downstairs at 5:30 a.m.
I like to try different hotels each time I go to New York, but if I was to find this one at a significantly lower price than the rest like I did this time, I would definitely stay again. The location, majority of the staff and the hotel itself were all superb. Carolina was the only disappointment, especially since she was our first impression, but everything else was so great that that impression wasn't a lasting one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Prime Times Square location with COMPLIMENTARY amenities including Internet, fitness center, business center & more! Hilton Garden Inn Times Square is a modern hotel with best Times Square location that is steps from Broadway theaters, Restaurant Row, TKTS discount theater ticket booth, famous 42nd Street and much more. Located on Eighth Avenue at 48th Street in the heart of Times Square, the hotel is in the midst of New York City’s best restaurants, lively nightlife, sightseeing and shopping. Hilton Garden Inn Times Square is walking distance to all major subway lines, Radio City Music Hall, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, Carnegie Hall, the Museum of Modern Art, Jacob Javits Convention Center and Port Authority Bus Terminal plus is convenient to all (3) area airports.The hotel features 369 oversized, contemporary-styled guestrooms each equipped with 32-inch LCD flat panel television, refrigerator, microwave, safe, coffeemaker large work desk with ergonomic chair and complimentary Internet access with secure remote printing to the hotel’s Business Center. COMPLIMENTARY amenities include high-speed lobby and guestroom Internet access, 24-hour Business Center, 24-hour Fitness Center, morning coffee and tea in the lobby and USA Today®. Additional onsite amenities include Pigalle Restaurant and Lounge (a 1950’s style Paris café that is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner), XVI Rooftop Lounge (the only Hilton Garden Inn in Manhattan with a rooftop bar!), evening room service, 24-hour Pavilion Pantry (stocked with your favorite snacks, drinks & toiletries) and Concierge/Theater Ticket Desk. The hotel is 100% non-smoking. Self parking is available. The hotel allows service pets. 24-hour Security onsite. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotwire, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Hilton Garden Inn Times Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Garden Inn Times Square Hotel New York City
- Hilton Garden Inn Manhattan
- Hilton New York City
- Hilton Garden Inn New York
- Times Square Hilton Garden Inn
- New York City Hilton