“Everything great except check-in”

Hilton Garden Inn Times Square
Ranked #153 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Las Vegas, NV
“Everything great except check-in”
Reviewed December 24, 2006

With my AAA discount I got this room for my mother and I 12/16-19 at $150 a night. This was a fantastic deal compared to other hotel prices at this time of the year.

After reading all the glowing reviews here, I had no doubt that this would be a good experience, even though I swore in the past I would never stay at this place when it was the Days Inn.

When I arrived, I was somewhat disappointed with the service. There were two front desk agents, and I ended up with Carolina, the one who never cracked a smile. She was incredibly rude and talked to me like a complete idiot. First she told me there was "no way I was checking in" because it was before check-in time. I had simply asked if it was possible to check in yet and even mentioned that I knew it was early. She then informed me there was a vacant room that should be ready in about an hour if I wanted that and asked what room type I prefer. I know that all my room preferences were there in the computer, and I've stayed in many hotels and know that "room type" can refer to a variety of things, so I asked what my options were. She yelled back, "The ROOM TYPE!" Then I got annoyed and told her it's all there in front of her, and she got rid of the attitude but said the rooms available only had one bed rather than the two I requested, so if I wanted two I would have to wait until check-in time. We were tired, and my mom wanted to check in ASAP, so we opted for the one bed since we're relatively small people. She got me all set up and told me to come back in about an hour when the room should be ready.

We left our luggage with the bellman, Domingo, who we dealt with numerous times, and he was always friendly and helpful.

We headed across the street to Olympic Diner which I had seen recommended. It was fun but had pretty terrible food (French toast was practically liquid and "crispy" bacon was completely limp). We moved pretty slowly in an attempt to kill the hour and then returned to the hotel. I was in no mood to deal with Carolina again, so I sent my mom up to check on the room, and she was smart enough to get in the pleasant agent's line. However, the room was not ready, so we went off to Rite-Aid to pick up some things and down to the subway to get our Metrocards and attempt to go downtown, but since we were so disoriented and tired, we spent the whole next hour trying to figure out how to go downtown instead of uptown. We gave up and headed back to the hotel to check on the room, and I got lightly hit by a car whose driver clearly saw me and just wanted to be a jerk, so now I was mad again. The room was still not ready. So we sat in the lobby, watched some bratty kids knock decorations off the tree, and looked over the map Domingo gave us to plan our day. When we were done, about three hours after we were told the room would be ready in an hour, the room was finally ready.

The room itself was not bad at all. The only fault I found was a few cracks in the ceiling. However, everything was clean, it was very spacious, and we had a great view of the street (the best possible at this hotel). Everything functioned properly, and we were glad to find the refrigerator was simply a refrigerator and not a mini-bar, so we could store our huge desserts each night!

I think I only heard one siren the entire time, and this was in the early morning rather than the middle of the night, so sound wasn't an issue. The beds were comfortable, and there were plenty of towels, which I only mention because later on this trip I stayed somewhere else that only had one washcloth in a room that supposedly accommodates four.

Check-out was effortless, and they had a taxi waiting for us as soon as we got downstairs at 5:30 a.m.

I like to try different hotels each time I go to New York, but if I was to find this one at a significantly lower price than the rest like I did this time, I would definitely stay again. The location, majority of the staff and the hotel itself were all superb. Carolina was the only disappointment, especially since she was our first impression, but everything else was so great that that impression wasn't a lasting one.

• Liked — Quick and easy service from bellmen; everything about the room
  • Disliked — Carolina!
  • Tips/Secrets — Try to check in with a happy agent
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank midgetmama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
North Carolina
Reviewed December 24, 2006

We stayed for 6 days at this hotel--two days in a room that had TERRIBLE noise next door. If you book a room, do not stay on the 2nd floor as this is where the noise is so prevalent. It seemed as if someone was moving furniture or bowling, which continued all night long making it impossible for us to sleep. Not only did we hear the noise next door, but you hear the subway underneath the hotel all night long as well. The management moved us to another room the following day as no rooms were available that night and it was much better as far as noise was concerned. The manager gave us a free breakfast and they did offer a discount for the nights that it was noisy.

Overall, the hotel does not meet the Hilton quality that I have come to expect. It is not spectacular and some remodeling needs to be done--especially in the bathroom area.

Location is great but when I come in from a long day, I'd love to relax in a clean, quiet room. I'll come back to NY but not to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2006
1 Thank wulfsapple
Sunderland
Reviewed December 22, 2006

Arrived at the hotel on the 16th of December (same as below review). Three of us in one room so required a room with two Queen beds. Emailed ahead to let them know we would be late arriving (about 10pm) and to ensure that the room would be as booked.

There were no rooms with two Queen beds available. Instead we were offered a room with a king bed and a rollaway bed and a move in the morning. The manager said we could have free breakfast the next day for inconvenience when I complained. The check-in assistant gave us free breakfasts for the whole stay which saved us quite a lot of money over 6 nights!

Were moved to room with two beds the following afternoon and have no complaints about hotel, free internet, in room safe, large rooms for NYC. Would recommend as overbooking can happen anywhere.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank AndySAFC
England
Reviewed December 15, 2006

We had thoroughly researched this hotel before booking as it had excellent reveiws. The only (but very inconvenient) problem we encountered was on arrival. After being awake for 24 hours and travelling for approx 18 of those (early check in required in UK at the time) we arrived excited but exhausted at the hotel on our first trip to New York at midnight local time. We were told the bad news was the hotel was overbooked but the good news was that they were prepared to move us to a superior hotel and pay for the taxi. I was astonished, not only that they'd overbooked the hotel (did they forget to count the rooms?) but also at the assupmtion that I should be grateful they were going to find me somewhere to stay. After 10 minutes of attempting to get hold of the other hotel and finding cash for a taxi we were sent out onto the busy Saturday night streets with a porter who atempted to hail a taxi for another 10mins (my reserved English temprement was starting to fray). Eventually the manager came out and negotiated with some sort of private hire car, at the this did not feel like a particulaly safe option but I was too exhaused to argue....luckily we did arrive at the other hotel which was clean and quite for what remained of the night. We were checked in to the hilton quickly the next day (after finding and paying for out own taxi back) and offered a free meal in the adjoining restaurant. Again the duty manger seemed to think we ought to be eternally grateful for this and the fact that they had paid for us to stay somewhere else. I found this to be unacceptable service as we had pre booked including airport transfers eight weeks in advance to avoid such an inconvenience. Other than this the hotel was clean and in an a convenient location for sightseeing. We had a room on the forteenth floor which was still fairly noisy as the seals on the windows had gone. In addition as we were so high up we could hear the air conditioning fans on the roof even with the unit in our room turned off. On the plus side plenty of space, nice neutral decor and kept clean.

• Liked — Space, cleanliness, convenient locaiton
  • Disliked — Overbooked on arrival
  • Tips/Secrets — Phone the hotel and let them know that you do not want to arrive and be sent elsewhere!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank oink1
Kansas City
Reviewed December 14, 2006

We booked the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square because of the queen beds, as we were three women traveling together. The beds were incredibly comfortable; not hard like most hotel beds. The flatscreen TV was nice too. The rooms had plenty of room for our luggage and for us to spread out. And contrary to another review, we DID have a safe in our room. We did not have any trouble with noise.

The location was fantastic. It is in easy walking distance to broadway theaters and to the subway stations. The Greyline tours also start nearby.

We did not eat at the restaurant attached to the hotel, as it didn't work into our schedule. We did eat at the Olympic Diner across the street, twice for breakfast, and twice for dinner. We disagree with another reviewer who didn't like it. The variety was great, the service was fast, and prices were reasonable. Just right for a quick bite before a play. We also ate at the mexican restaurant, Sombrero, across the street, and we do NOT recommend it. The food was mediocre, the portions were small, and the prices were high.

We found the bell staff at the hotel to be very helpful and friendly.

We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — The soft beds
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank Kansasgirls
Isle of Palms, South Carolina
Reviewed December 5, 2006

We just returned from NYC...

I'm a HUGE traveler...and have been to NYC 3 times in the past year on pleasure trips. I have stayed at 3 different Hilton Properties each time...and I must say ...every time I've been above and beyond impressed.

Hilton Garden Inn is a great property...and one I would recommend to a lot of different types of travelers. The rooms were HUGE! We had four adults in one room...and never felt crowded. There was plenty of room for all of our LARGE amounts of luggage.

The location was a great Mid Town Location. The hotel is located 2 blocks from Times Square and then Q-N-R train (49th Street) and located only 1 block from the A-C-E Train (50th Street).

We stopped in at the Grocery store located next door and stocked up on breakfast items. The rooms come with microwaves, fridges and coffee makers.

I would stay here again (If I wanted to be in the Midtown area).

My only two complaints (which were small)
-Bell Service at check in (it took too long to get our stored luggage)
-Concierge Staff did not speak fluent English...and it made communicating difficult

Enjoy your stay at The Hilton Garden Inn Times Square!

• Liked — Size of Rooms
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
3 Thank yapper82
london
Reviewed November 29, 2006

Good hotel, handy for getting around especially if you're going to shows during your stay in NY. Room was larger than expected and hotel was clean and tidy. It was quite noisy due to the police cars and fire engines outside - but that all sets the scene! Lots of places to eat nearby on 9th st and just opposite there's a good cafe/shop where you can get sandwiches, salads, falafel pittas, burritos etc etc.

The tourist info centre on Times Square was really good for getting info about what was on.

• Disliked — No character but typical clean, reliable chain hotel
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't forget to pick up the free cookies at the reception desk that appear in the afternoon!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple