7,950 results
All reviewstimes squarepigalle restaurantgreat locationfood emporiumfire stationnew yorkfridge and microwaveattached restaurantcentral parkaround the cornerthe theater districtwithin walking distancerestaurant rowstreet noisehell's kitchenhigher floorwould definitely stay here again
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It's one block off the major activities of Times Square. It's next to a parking garage for those driving into the city. The hotel will stamp your ticket for a special rate. We we're charged $30 night, which was a great price. The bellhop's will go to the garage and help unload/ load your luggage. That was a huge help with all the bags we had. On both occasions he was very friendly and helpful.

One of the main reasons we chose this hotel was the ability to reserve a room with 2 queen beds. The room was a reasonably comfortable size with a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. The room was not newly decorated, but not ancient either. The bathroom was very small and smelled like mildew the entire stay. I did not see any visible reason for the smell. There's a Duane Reade just across the street a short distance away and we bought room air freshener to spray around, as it was necessary.
We we're unfortunately given a room on the 2nd floor overlooking 8th ave. Yes, you can hear the rumble of the subway and street noise. They do provide earplugs. Just one set. The enormous size of the tube shaped earplugs rendered them useless. After quite an effort they were unwilling to stay put.

We visited during the great heat wave. We had the A/C on high and the lowest setting from the minute we got there. It would have been more comfortable had we been able to get it a little cooler, but I'm not sure anywhere was cool enough for the excessive heat.

There is a small gym is on the second floor. It has 2 treadmills and 2 elipiticals with TV's attached. Basic weights and balls. There is a silly set up with the TV's. They only work if you have headphones plugged in under the display panel.. I bring my own headphones to listen to music, but I don't want to be staring at a black screen. I had to get a second set of headphones from the front desk to plug into the machine so the TV would work. Not really difficult to think people might run to music. The second day I got stuck with a treadmill that the TV did not work. There is a water cooler and towels available. There is nothing in the room to sanitize the machines. No wipes or sprays anywhere. Really a huge no no in any gym. I don't want to get on a machine after someone has sweated all over it and not be able to sanitize it in some way.

There is a restaurant attached to the hotel, Pigalle. We had the buffet there, as we had vouchers. The buffet was good, not great. Each day same selection of vegetable frittata, scrambled eggs, scrambled egg whites, sausage,bacon,waffles,pancakes, hot cereal, granola, fruit,yogurt,sandwich bread,one or two types of mini muffins, plain mini bagels. Coffee and juices. Staff was pleasant and reasonably attentive.

There is also coffee available in the lobby in the mornings.

Overall decent but certainly not worthy of glowing praise.

Room Tip: You will hear the subway if you are on a lower floor. Bring your own earplugs in case you don't have the choice of a higher floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Estela L, Guest Experience Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Dear GAAtitravel,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay.. I understand that during your visit our guest rooms were still pending on the renovation however I am happy to inform you that all of our guest’s rooms have undergone renovation at this time. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future so that you can experience the new décor for yourself.

I realize you had some concerns with our fitness center facility and the equipment inside. I understand that you were not able to locate the wipes in the fitness center we will be sure to put them in a more suitable place for our guests.

I am glad that you were able to enjoy the extensive selection of breakfast at Pigalle. The team at the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square works hard to provide great, genuine hospitality
Your comments will help us in delivering better service to our future guests.

Warm Regards,
Estela Lopez | Guest Experience Manager
Hilton Garden Inn Times Square
790 Eighth Avenue

Reviewed July 20, 2013

The true measure of a Manager is how they handle a major disruption. A power glitch knocked out the hotels air condition, when I called the Front Desk to inquire about repairs I was told a Manager would call me back. Not only did she call me back, she also hand delivered a fan to our room. Joanne, the MOD on duty went above and beyond. Though not fixed prior to our departure, the rest of the staff went out of their way to try and make our stay comfortable, water in he lobby, fans in the restaurant etc. My only caution, try for a higher floor, the subway runs right under the hotel.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This was our first visit to NYC. We came to see the sites. The hotel location was excellent. The room was excellent and reasonably priced, and the staff was always very helpful with information. I'll stay here again if/when I return to NYC.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed there for 2 nights on 2nd and 3rd July with Family. Check in was quick and smooth.

A good alternative to stay instead of staying right on Times square, which is a block away. Tours are aplenty and the Grayline tour office is just 50 mtrs away.

But all these comes up at a cost, the noise from the street (we were offered 2 level) and big thud of the underground metro. I should have guessed this when they kept a pair of ear plugs in the toilet. Not sure why they kept only one pair for 3 guests. If you are not a sound sleeper, seek an alternative or ask the reception before hand.

Breakfast was available and had a decent spread.

Overall, a good decent hotel to stay amidst one of the busiest places in Earth with great accessibility and good service standards you would expect from Hilton.

Room Tip: Please check the noise level at the respective rooms, if you are not a sound sleeper or get yourself an extra pair of ear plugs.
1  Thank cjkannan
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I admit I was very skeptical of the high praise this HGI in Times Square had received on TripAdvisor. For the most part it is well deserved but there is one thing that will keep this property off my go-to list in NYC.

PROS:
-Location, location, location. Prime mid-town location close to Times Square but not right in the middle of the crowds. Easy walking distance to most theaters, TKTS booth, etc.
-Hotel was clean (rooms and commons areas) and quiet
-It looks like the rooms may have been updated recently. The room was very well appointed and the bathroom especially felt like it should be in a higher-end hotel (undermount sink, nice fixtures, etc)
-Staff was very helpful and courteous
-Even though it is a HGI they have a full service bellman who can store you luggage and hail you a cab, etc

CONS:
-All the good stuff aside, beware the timeshare promotion!! When I arrived it was 99 degrees in Manhattan. After a long sweaty ride from JFK in traffic all I wanted to do was check into my room and relax. Before I could even get to the elevator not one, not two, but THREE Hilton timeshare people ambushed me and pulled me over to their special podium that they have setup right by the front door. They really want to take advantage of the special rates you can get, tons of HHonors bonus points, and all you have to do is listen to a 90 minute presentation! UG! There is a timeshare person waiting for their next victim in the lobby all the time and that drives me crazy. Sorry HGI Times Square but until you get rid of the sales force in your lobby I will be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business