“Highly Recommended Hotel”

Ranked #152 of 466 Hotels in New York City
HOVE
“Highly Recommended Hotel”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights last weekend. Location wise it's excellent - near Times Square and a myriad of restaurants on 8th Avenue. My room on the 10th floor was spacious for NYC, and of the standard you would expect from a Hilton property. I had a nice view of 8th Ave and surrounding area. A refrigerator came in handy and there was an ice machine just a few doors down. I had two staff experiences worth sharing, one good one not so. To get the bad one out of the way, when checking out I asked the Bellman to store my cases and also order me a cab to the airport for later that day. He took care of the bags but said I should ask about the cab when i came back for them - a guy called Ken would look after that for me. I duly returned to find that Ken knew about my requirement for a cab but had not booked one and he could not understand why the earlier shift had not done that for me...and when he rang, there were no cabs available ! So he ended up hailing one in the street which wound up costing me $100 to Newark which I'm sure was a rip-off. Love to know how much a pre booked can would have cost.

The good experience was when a front of house guy called Ennio not only recommended a local bar ( House of Brews ! ), but insisted in walking us to it, a couple of blocks away from the hotel. When I told him about how much we were enjoying our stay, he was genuinely delighted to hear it....he is a first rate ambassador for the hotel and I hope he gets the recognition he deserves for it !

To sum up, I will definitely stay there again on my next trip to New York

2 Thank HOVEEAGLE
LauraMaldonado, Director of Guest Experience at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear HOVEEAGLE,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor. We are very proud to know that you highly recommend our hotel. There is no better compliment!

As the Director of Guest Experience, I want to discuss with you details about your positive and negative experience with our Bellmen Team. To get the negative out of the way as you mentioned, NYC yellow cabs do not make scheduled appointments. They are hailed in the street. I am thinking you are referring to a car service which in that case we can book in advance. I have communicated with the team the importance of being more specific and detailed when assisting guests to avoid confusion. They are committed to making it right and improving. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to address this situation and making sure it does not happen to another guest.

On the positive side, I shared your review with Ennio yesterday and he was surprised and grateful for your mention. Ennio is a superstar team member and we are proud to have him. I will personally make sure he gets a nice incentive and lot of recognition.

Again, thank you for your amazing feedback!

Hilton Garden Inn Times Square
laura.maldonado@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,366)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This was our second stay at this hotel. The rooms are quiet, clean and spacious. I like that they include a microwave, mini fridge and an in-room safe. The staff is friendly and helpful. There is a gift shop / pantry in the lobby with an ATM.

As Hilton Honor Diamond members, we received vouchers for breakfast in Pigalle’s each morning (restaurant next door to the hotel). They have an ample buffet, and if you can get a window seat, the people-watching is great!

In the evening walk around the corner to Da Marino (220 W. 49th St) for delicious Italian fare and entertainment, or stop by Lillie’s (249 W 49th St) for drinks in a beautiful Victorian atmosphere.

2 Thank mjames
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Great location for all things Times Square; shopping, restaurants, night life. Clean, comfortable, and helpful staff. Breakfast buffet was good, but expensive at $26. Probably better off finding a near by deli for breakfast. As with most downtown NYC hotels, quite pricey but worth it for the convenience.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are a bit more spacious.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I am NEVER the one to place the race card ever. I am Mixed black 25% white 50% native 25% American, I grew up with a large loving white side and black side color was never a issue. I have stayed at the Hilton garden before, my experience there was great! No issues no complaints. I stayed there a second time this past weekend with my boyfriend and his friend and his girl friend. I knew from the jump how people can be so I was going to have them come to the back when they arrived, sad that I wouldn’t even have to think this way. When I checked in I had my college sweat shirt on nice pair of jeans and shoes. His friend had a wife beater on with tattoos he is white his girlfriend black, they didn’t have a bag to place there clothes in so they used a trash bag. I knew the look of them in general they would be judged sad people are this way they are two people with amazing hearts and come from great families so they don’t have all the money in the world does this really matter? It was a weekend to get away and have a good time and I wanted to make sure to show them one. When they arrived they ended up going through the front I already had a very bad feeling about it like I stated they came up to the room and my boyfriend and I had been snacking but his friends girlfriend was pregnant and the smell was really making her sick! I lit a incent and burned it halfway just to mask the smell. We weren't smoking in the hotel so I really honestly didn’t see the problem. We only had one smoker in the group that did go outside when he needed. We left to go grab dinner and catch a movie at 7, when we came back to the room we had messages on our phone and their phone the rooms were right next to each other. The messages stated that "they received several complaints of a burnings smell coming from our rooms and to please not do that if we had any questions to contact the front desk". This just made my stomach hurt first off my room wasn’t near another rooms just who we were with and we burned Half not even a whole incent and on top of it my boyfriend and I burned incents and candles before when we stayed again with ZERO ISSUE! It’s a comfort for me something I do at home. I knew right away how this weekend would go. I didn’t bother to get back to the front desk I just stayed away from the hotel as much as possible at night we were quiet and low key again she is pregnant so we laid around and just talk and went to bed both nights at 10pm! Sunday when it was time to check out woke up at 7am made the bed placed all towels under the sink in the bathroom aired out both rooms and sprayed glade just to make it fresh made sure all trash was in the trash everything was perfectly clean and fine. I knew I just knew I was going to be charged sure enough Monday comes around I was charged 50$ for each room!!! For what reason! I am a 26 year old grown women who is working on her bachelors in social work I know more then anyone what's going on here. Ive already made the decision to never stay here again. I am a responsible respectful person with a huge heart and it hurts to know people are still this way, no worries Hilton and Garden you wont have to "deal" with us ever again!

3 Thank kathryn r
LauraMaldonado, Director of Guest Experience at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear kathryn r,

As the Director of Guest Experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square I want to take a moment to discuss in more detail your recent experience with us. I would like to be clear that we are very proud of our diverse team and that being located in the heart of Times Square gives us an opportunity to welcome guests from all parts of the world. Racial profiling is not how we run our operation.

As part of the check in process every guest is asked to provide a credit card for incidentals. We place a $50 hold per night on the account to open a line of credit and give guests access to order room service, movies, make phone calls, etc. Upon check out any additional amount being held is released. This is not a cleaning/ smoking fee and it is applied to every guest.

I understand that you want to relax during your visit and incense can be very soothing. Unfortunately, our property is 100% smoke free and we have signs displayed throughout the hotel to remind guests. If we receive any reports of odor we immediately call the rooms in the area to remind the guests of our policy. In addition, incense can be a fire hazard and safety is our priority.

Please keep in mind that both instances are not issues that apply to you or your friends in particular but that affect all guests. I am always available to be of further assistance.

Director of Guest Experience
California
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Hotel has a great location if you want to be in Times Square. Staff was excellent. Very accomodating and rooms are spacious. We had a problem with a bed and they sent someone (Roger?) up immediately to change dials. He was so apologetic for inconveniencing our party that he gave us breakfast vouchers and a gift bag for the rest of our trip. The only issue I had has nothing to do with the hotel, but the hotel guests. I think the room doors are so heavy that when guests leave their rooms the door slams and makes a big noise. Which is ok if you want to get up early, but when your out till late it's nice to sleep in. We were on the 3rd floor and had no trouble with the subways as other guests have commented. My main requirement for any stay is cleanliness, and I thought this hotel was very clean.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Knightdale, North Carolina
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I have stayed in a lot of hotels and I guess I was expecting this great experience because it was time square. Some of the staff were nice, others were not, I had a view of a brick building outside of my window. They were supposed to have sleep settings on the mattress but they didn't work. I have had much better experiences elsewhere. If you can get it for a deal I would take it, don't pay full price though.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
LauraMaldonado, Director of Guest Experience at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Dnourie,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us. We value each and every guest’s opinion and the opportunity it provides to improve.

I am very sad to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. As a hotel our goal is to go above and beyond for every guest so that they are happy with their experience.

I would love to further discuss your stay with us to gain more details and insight into your experience. I do hope that in the near future you choose our hotel again. We would love another chance to deliver a perfect experience!

I look forward to speaking with you very soon.

Opelousas, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Hotel location was great-- Subways and buses on all corners. The hotel is also connected to a parking garage. Plenty of restaurants, theaters, grocery, liquor and drug stores all within a couple of blocks. Times Square, Central Park, Top of the Rock and many other must see attractions all within walking distance.

Room was very clean and, from what I understand, big for New York City standards. Windows opened slightly, which was great to experience the New York City sounds. However, when closed, we could not hear anything which was surprising being across the street from a fire department! (which also gave us a sense of security) The king adjustable firmness bed was excellent. The entire hotel was very clean. All staff, from housekeeping to management, were very friendly and helpful; always smiling and greeting you whether at the front door, in the elevator or in the hallways. This hotel definitely makes customer service a top priority.

The hotel always had a person dedicated to helping us with arranging or deciding on what to see, were to eat, etc.--also helped us to learn both the subway and bus systems. Being from a small town in Louisiana, this was appreciated more than anyone could imagine.

Upon checkout, we had a minor issue with the room rate which was corrected within a few minutes--and with a smile!

I would also like to state that I have never received personal emails from any hotel management staff either before and after my stay as I did from this hotel. It was very encouraging to receive an email before my stay asking if they could answer any questions or help with anything before we arrived. I did respond to the email with a few questions which were answered in a timely manner. I was not expecting this. I also received an email after the stay questioning whether or not everything was satisfactory.

Keeping in mind this is not a luxury hotel with outrageous amenities, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone searching for a nice, clean hotel in a great location with very good customer service. We were not coming to Manhattan to stay in the hotel, however, must say that with this hotel it would not have been a problem! Also must say " The complimentary STRONG Starbucks coffee in the lobby every morning was a pleasant surprise for us Louisiana Women! This is something I have only experienced at the very expensive high end hotels.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends