“Racial profiling is not a good way to run a business”

Hilton Garden Inn Times Square
Ranked #144 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I am NEVER the one to place the race card ever. I am Mixed black 25% white 50% native 25% American, I grew up with a large loving white side and black side color was never a issue. I have stayed at the Hilton garden before, my experience there was great! No issues no complaints. I stayed there a second time this past weekend with my boyfriend and his friend and his girl friend. I knew from the jump how people can be so I was going to have them come to the back when they arrived, sad that I wouldn’t even have to think this way. When I checked in I had my college sweat shirt on nice pair of jeans and shoes. His friend had a wife beater on with tattoos he is white his girlfriend black, they didn’t have a bag to place there clothes in so they used a trash bag. I knew the look of them in general they would be judged sad people are this way they are two people with amazing hearts and come from great families so they don’t have all the money in the world does this really matter? It was a weekend to get away and have a good time and I wanted to make sure to show them one. When they arrived they ended up going through the front I already had a very bad feeling about it like I stated they came up to the room and my boyfriend and I had been snacking but his friends girlfriend was pregnant and the smell was really making her sick! I lit a incent and burned it halfway just to mask the smell. We weren't smoking in the hotel so I really honestly didn’t see the problem. We only had one smoker in the group that did go outside when he needed. We left to go grab dinner and catch a movie at 7, when we came back to the room we had messages on our phone and their phone the rooms were right next to each other. The messages stated that "they received several complaints of a burnings smell coming from our rooms and to please not do that if we had any questions to contact the front desk". This just made my stomach hurt first off my room wasn’t near another rooms just who we were with and we burned Half not even a whole incent and on top of it my boyfriend and I burned incents and candles before when we stayed again with ZERO ISSUE! It’s a comfort for me something I do at home. I knew right away how this weekend would go. I didn’t bother to get back to the front desk I just stayed away from the hotel as much as possible at night we were quiet and low key again she is pregnant so we laid around and just talk and went to bed both nights at 10pm! Sunday when it was time to check out woke up at 7am made the bed placed all towels under the sink in the bathroom aired out both rooms and sprayed glade just to make it fresh made sure all trash was in the trash everything was perfectly clean and fine. I knew I just knew I was going to be charged sure enough Monday comes around I was charged 50$ for each room!!! For what reason! I am a 26 year old grown women who is working on her bachelors in social work I know more then anyone what's going on here. Ive already made the decision to never stay here again. I am a responsible respectful person with a huge heart and it hurts to know people are still this way, no worries Hilton and Garden you wont have to "deal" with us ever again!

3  Thank kathryn r
LauraMaldonado, Director of Guest Experience at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear kathryn r,

As the Director of Guest Experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square I want to take a moment to discuss in more detail your recent experience with us. I would like to be clear that we are very proud of our diverse team and that being located in the heart of Times Square gives us an opportunity to welcome guests from all parts of the world. Racial profiling is not how we run our operation.

As part of the check in process every guest is asked to provide a credit card for incidentals. We place a $50 hold per night on the account to open a line of credit and give guests access to order room service, movies, make phone calls, etc. Upon check out any additional amount being held is released. This is not a cleaning/ smoking fee and it is applied to every guest.

I understand that you want to relax during your visit and incense can be very soothing. Unfortunately, our property is 100% smoke free and we have signs displayed throughout the hotel to remind guests. If we receive any reports of odor we immediately call the rooms in the area to remind the guests of our policy. In addition, incense can be a fire hazard and safety is our priority.

Please keep in mind that both instances are not issues that apply to you or your friends in particular but that affect all guests. I am always available to be of further assistance.

Kind regards,

Director of Guest Experience

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Times Square

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Hotel has a great location if you want to be in Times Square. Staff was excellent. Very accomodating and rooms are spacious. We had a problem with a bed and they sent someone (Roger?) up immediately to change dials. He was so apologetic for inconveniencing our party that he gave us breakfast vouchers and a gift bag for the rest of our trip. The only issue I had has nothing to do with the hotel, but the hotel guests. I think the room doors are so heavy that when guests leave their rooms the door slams and makes a big noise. Which is ok if you want to get up early, but when your out till late it's nice to sleep in. We were on the 3rd floor and had no trouble with the subways as other guests have commented. My main requirement for any stay is cleanliness, and I thought this hotel was very clean.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I have stayed in a lot of hotels and I guess I was expecting this great experience because it was time square. Some of the staff were nice, others were not, I had a view of a brick building outside of my window. They were supposed to have sleep settings on the mattress but they didn't work. I have had much better experiences elsewhere. If you can get it for a deal I would take it, don't pay full price though.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
LauraMaldonado, Director of Guest Experience at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear Dnourie,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us. We value each and every guest’s opinion and the opportunity it provides to improve.

I am very sad to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. As a hotel our goal is to go above and beyond for every guest so that they are happy with their experience.

I would love to further discuss your stay with us to gain more details and insight into your experience. I do hope that in the near future you choose our hotel again. We would love another chance to deliver a perfect experience!

I look forward to speaking with you very soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Hotel location was great-- Subways and buses on all corners. The hotel is also connected to a parking garage. Plenty of restaurants, theaters, grocery, liquor and drug stores all within a couple of blocks. Times Square, Central Park, Top of the Rock and many other must see attractions all within walking distance.

Room was very clean and, from what I understand, big for New York City standards. Windows opened slightly, which was great to experience the New York City sounds. However, when closed, we could not hear anything which was surprising being across the street from a fire department! (which also gave us a sense of security) The king adjustable firmness bed was excellent. The entire hotel was very clean. All staff, from housekeeping to management, were very friendly and helpful; always smiling and greeting you whether at the front door, in the elevator or in the hallways. This hotel definitely makes customer service a top priority.

The hotel always had a person dedicated to helping us with arranging or deciding on what to see, were to eat, etc.--also helped us to learn both the subway and bus systems. Being from a small town in Louisiana, this was appreciated more than anyone could imagine.

Upon checkout, we had a minor issue with the room rate which was corrected within a few minutes--and with a smile!

I would also like to state that I have never received personal emails from any hotel management staff either before and after my stay as I did from this hotel. It was very encouraging to receive an email before my stay asking if they could answer any questions or help with anything before we arrived. I did respond to the email with a few questions which were answered in a timely manner. I was not expecting this. I also received an email after the stay questioning whether or not everything was satisfactory.

Keeping in mind this is not a luxury hotel with outrageous amenities, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone searching for a nice, clean hotel in a great location with very good customer service. We were not coming to Manhattan to stay in the hotel, however, must say that with this hotel it would not have been a problem! Also must say " The complimentary STRONG Starbucks coffee in the lobby every morning was a pleasant surprise for us Louisiana Women! This is something I have only experienced at the very expensive high end hotels.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jamie M
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Although the location is convenient, the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. We booked it and planned a birthday celebration on the rooftop, only to find out it wasn't open and they didn't have any idea why (run by someone else) nor offer any apologies for advertising it falsely. I had to call twice for customer service over unauthorized charges for incidentals and they are rude and unhelpful. I still don't have my money back from this hotel. Good thing the rate was low. Now I see why.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank kristenesq
LauraMaldonado, Director of Guest Experience at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Good day kristenesq,

Although there is never a second chance to make a great first impression. I want to take a moment to apologize for your overall experience while staying at our hotel.

First, I think it’s important to wish you a happy birthday from the team! A birthday in the Big Apple is sure to be full of adventure and wonderful memories. I can understand your disappointment when XVI, our rooftop bar, was closed. In the future, please call us in advance and we will be glad to make arrangements for you.

In regards to the charges in your account, please feel free to contact me directly and I will be happy to review with you. I will be happy to make the necessary change and make it right by you.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future and having an opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel.

With kind regards,

Director of Guest Experience

Reviewed September 30, 2012

First time stay in NYC can be intimidating, this was a comfortable location with a grocery store next door, drug store 1 block, great places to eat and a neighborhood with a very safe feel to it. Close walk to Time Square. The staff was friendly and helpful and Charles the conciere saved us from a very stressful moment while turning our car into the parking garage attendants and leading us to our room. Big thanks Charles!

1  Thank Joe B
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed here 7 nights...and the service from check-in to check-out was excellent. Housekeeping staff, doormen, or whoever we ran into from the hotel were always smiling, friendly and wanting to know how our stay was going. The room itself was clean and comfortable and for Manhattan I think on the larger size. The microwave and fridge in the room is a big bonus. It's obvious that the hotel prides itself on service and taking care of the customer. Kudos to Joannne Butcher and the entire staff.

Room Tip: Corner "evolution" room was great...